Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NEWBIE NEEDS HELP FOR WINTER HAMMOCK CAMPING

Like title says im new to hanging a hammock. I have a NHO natures hammock that i got off amazon just to try out. So its winter time, and i go winter camping sometimes it can reach down in the single digits and feels in the negitive if not below 0. So what type of Under quilt. and top quilt will i need? also what type of hammocks should i invest in? im willing to spend upwards to 500-800 dollar range for a nice setup that i can trust. I have time on my hands for DYI i just need the knowledge of what should i buy, where to look, etc etc. I go hiking weekly, if not ill go backpacking so i need it to be decently lightweight, would like say -20 at the lowest it, and can i take the underquilt off during the summer?

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Lots of options with that budget.
    If you plan on DIY you will save some cash but it's gonna be alot of trial and error until you get comfortable. Everything has been done and the search bar will hook you up with the knowledge you need.
    There are alot of vendor with excellent products. Some have a very long lead time.
    If I had my choice I'd go with enlightened Equipment or hammock gear.
    I would go 0 for both my TQ&UQ... but that's me.

If you need something to get you by until you make your own and need it fast I'd look into Jacks r Better. Those guys are fast and have alot in stock.
    Good luck on your hammock journey.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I'm fairly new as well, but I know you're in the right spot! You have to decide if you want down or synthetic. For those temps, I'd definitely do down. Most cottage vendors here can help steer you in the right direction. $500-$800 budget can get you in a pretty nice set up! If you can DIY, I say go for it! You will find lots of tips, instructions, and designs to suit you needs! Check out the hammock gear section in the forums and you'll get an idea of some of the great companies and individuals who can help make your hanging experience worthwhile!

One last thing, you can definitely take the UQ off in the summer, but most folks use something year round as a slight breeze can make a hammock feel cold.

Good luck in finding what works for you! Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcodywon View Post
    Like title says im new to hanging a hammock. I have a NHO natures hammock that i got off amazon just to try out. So its winter time, and i go winter camping sometimes it can reach down in the single digits and feels in the negitive if not below 0. So what type of Under quilt. and top quilt will i need? also what type of hammocks should i invest in? im willing to spend upwards to 500-800 dollar range for a nice setup that i can trust. I have time on my hands for DYI i just need the knowledge of what should i buy, where to look, etc etc. I go hiking weekly, if not ill go backpacking so i need it to be decently lightweight, would like say -20 at the lowest it, and can i take the underquilt off during the summer?
    Welcome to Hammock Forums. For my winter hanging I use my Warbonnet Ridgerunner with a 0° LocoLibre Ghost Pepper top quilt with the Warbonnet full length winter Lynx under quilt. Slept out last night and it got down to 12.5° F with constant 20-25 mph winds and I never once got cold. There are many directions to go but I would stick with one of the major cottage vendors and you can't go wrong. If you have the skills you can save some money but it's a lot of work and may take several tries to get it right. Let us know if you have any specific questions and again welcome.

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Down packs the smallest but won't work well...for me at least... in very moist environments. Synthetic like Apex Climashield will work better in moist environments but is significantly bulkier and has more weight
    The difference is obvious

JBR old rag
    Vs
    CS 10

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    For that budget, I'd have some fun...maybe a 0 incubator and a 20 phoenix on the bottom, and on top, a 20 burrow and a 40 burrow...mix and match and stack as conditions warrant...

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I can't believe no one has mentioned shug yet. Go check out his YouTube videos (shugemery)...he has hung down to -40 I believe...either way, he knows cold hanging and you can see some of his setups.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisja77 View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned shug yet. Go check out his YouTube videos (shugemery)...he has hung down to -40 I believe...either way, he knows cold hanging and you can see some of his setups.
    He said winter camping not arctic camping Seriously though Shugs videos are must see TV.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hammock Gear makes some excellent quilts, but in that price range there are many quality options. I definitely recommend checking out Shugs videos if you haven't already. They're a wealth of information, and one of the reasons I started hammocking.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    +1 on Shug's vids. That's a great place to start. I've got a lot of pics of my insulation and winter set up in my albums on my profile page if your interested. I've got a matching 0° set from HG. My 0° +3 oz overstuff Burrow I got custom length from HG direct, and my 0° Incubator I got from Dutch BC he has them in stock and it matches my Burrow color scheme. Hammock/tarp wise, I'm using my WBBBXLC with the winter cover on and my WL old man winter tarp. So far I've used this set up with mid weight base layers, wool Sox, down beanie and fleece vest/ gloves down to 2° and was toasty warm. Good luck and welcome to HF!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast