WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Problems with Warbonnet's strap suspension anyone?

I just received my highly anticipated WBRR yesterday (purchased during the Black Friday sale) and hung it on my porch to try it out. It took a second to adjust to the initial wobble of a bridge hammock, but I was amazed at just how flat the lay was, especially with a NeoAir XTherm (which I decided against using, Lynx UQ being ordered today) slid into the pocket. I decided the lay was too flat for my liking and that a fully inflated pad made me feel like I was still trying to stay perched on the pad just like if I was in a tent.

My wife had helped me hang the hammock initially and had commented that I had hung the hammock way too high for her to get into. She left to go check on the kids while I tried the hammock out. During the process of trying different positions and what not, I found one that seemed to make me recline a bit instead of laying completely flat. At this point, my wife came back out and commented she was glad I lowered the hammock so she could now get into it. I realized that I was, in fact, about a 2 feet lower than when I had started! My initial thought was that I couldn't believe there was that much stretch to be had in a new suspension with only a few feet of strap deployed on either side.

At this point I had my wife get in to try the hammock out. I double checked to make sure the buckles on both ends were in the right position. I had her move around to see if I could see and slipping in the buckles. Sure enough, the foot end was slipping through bit by bit as she moved around. I had her get out, tightened the suspension and then I got back in. I was shocked when I immediately and rapidly sank completely to the ground as the webbing fed through the buckles on the foot end!

I got out of the grounded hammock, tensioned the suspension on the foot end again, and tied a knot with the slack and checked the head end. To my surprise the buckles there had rotated causing the webbing to bunch up and it had frayed the webbing! 20170107_071239.jpg

I straightened the buckles back out, and climbed in for a third time, this time without the XTherm pad. This is when I finally fell completely in love with the hammock. I will be selling 2 of my 3 WBBBs (unless my wife wants to trade in her WBBB, then it will be 3!) and several other trial hammocks and UQs, so watch the FS forum in the next week or so!

As a side note, two of my BBs have the strap suspension and I have had no issues with it at all. I am going to be swapping the suspension out with whoopie slings, but I am just curious to see if anyone else has had the same or similar issues with their WB Strap Suspension. Maybe WB changed strap materials, or the brand new strap in freezing weather was just too slick and needs to be "broken in"?

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    The only WBBB issue I have had is that the buckles were a bit difficult for me to separate after use.Never had them slip.However,I took them off and put on double descender rings,had a slip on one end immediately so what I do is YANK pretty hard to set the strap and the rings and still tie a little slippery half hitch just in case.Rings are super easy to deal with from my perspective.

Images
    I have never had any issues with the WB straps and buckles. My weight varies between 180 and 200# and I have never needed to do the half hitch for slipping.
    I have removed other vendors suspensions and installed the WB.
    That said I have not bought new straps and buckles from WB in 2 years so I don't know if they changed to a cheaper strap material.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't seem to have a problem separating them after use, but I do have problem separating them to lengthen the suspension, especially if the TQ and UQ and other things in the hammock are weighing it down during the adjustment.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I weigh 245, but my wife only weighs 130 (I hope she never finds out I divulged this info!), but from now on, I'll just tie the quick half hitch for ease of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I have never had any issues with the WB straps and buckles. My weight varies between 180 and 200# and I have never needed to do the half hitch for slipping.
    I have removed other vendors suspensions and installed the WB.
    That said I have not bought new straps and buckles from WB in 2 years so I don't know if they changed to a cheaper strap material.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Another thought is that I have had the problem of the buckles rotating around before on my other hammocks, but never had it shred the webbing like in my pic posted above.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus19 View Post
    I don't seem to have a problem separating them after use, but I do have problem separating them to lengthen the suspension, especially if the TQ and UQ and other things in the hammock are weighing it down during the adjustment.
    You do have to remove all tension on the strap when you want to seperate the two metal buckle pieces to lengthen the straps.
    I can usually hold the hammock pinched under my armpit.
    It just takes a little getting used to.
    Having a biner or dutch clip on the tree side can help if you overtighten the strap too much. Just unclip than lengthen the strap.

I have also never had the metal rotate like you discribed. A quick look when tightening you should see continous loop in the V shape of the buckles.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I sleep in a WBRR or a WBBBXLC using WB style webbing buckles (AHE has 'em too) every night and I haven't had them slip unless I had a fold in the webbing or if ti was skewed in threading the buckles as you would two D rings.

I like the WB buckles as much as the Cinch Bug and old cinch buckles etc. Dutch has Ti version of the cinch that has a notch at the bottom to locate positively the CL so you are less likely to go off half cocked as it were, these are great too.
    I don't always make a half hitch but when I do I don't pull it up tight against the buckles I give them a little space as it might twist the webbing if tied too close and tight. YMMV

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Do not tie a half hitch! It will cause potential total failure. The buckles are made to not need a half hitch and if you tie one when weighted it can cause the webbing to be pulled to the side and out of alignment, this can allow the buckle to pinch the webbing unevenly and tear the webbing. Not having them totally even is most likely what allowed them to slip like they did tearing the webbing but the slipped half hitch will guarantee that they pull out of strait alignment.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    To be more precise, I tied a double half hitch for that reason. The first hitch I tie isn't snugged up against the buckle, but the second one is what holds the knot, if that makes any sense. I view it as putting a fail safe in place and not what actively holds the buckle in place. I know the buckles are made to not slip, but this one did. The buckles were double checked to be in alignment before I got in, but I do agree that their rotation is what caused the tear in the webbing. I just can't explain how they rotated in the first place. Like I said, I haven't had this problem on my other two WB hammocks.
    Last edited by Spartacus19; 01-07-2017 at 15:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast