Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I hung my pack on my suspension last I was out. The pack weighs around one pound, and it's mostly empty at camp.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Someday I want to meet you and see this pack of yours, gotta be air light. I love your dedication man, what kind of packs I'd it btw?
    I carry a GoLite Jam 50 or 70. I'm not ultra-UL, but I do get rid of things that I perceive are of marginal benefit to me. Ridgeline organizers and ground sheets just don't qualify as necessities (or things I even miss), but I find other things to make more sense, like an Emberlit EL Mini titanium wood stove (4.5 ounces). If I ever run out of alcohol, I have a wood-burning alternative. I've never run out of alcohol, but I do like the comfort of knowing it's in my pack.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammock Envy S
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG INCU. 0*
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I carry a GoLite Jam 50 or 70. I'm not ultra-UL, but I do get rid of things that I perceive are of marginal benefit to me. Ridgeline organizers and ground sheets just don't qualify as necessities (or things I even miss), but I find other things to make more sense, like an Emberlit EL Mini titanium wood stove (4.5 ounces). If I ever run out of alcohol, I have a wood-burning alternative. I've never run out of alcohol, but I do like the comfort of knowing it's in my pack.

You've never run out of alcohol for you or the stove?

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    I carry a GoLite Jam 50 or 70. I'm not ultra-UL, but I do get rid of things that I perceive are of marginal benefit to me. Ridgeline organizers and ground sheets just don't qualify as necessities...
    The difference between his Jam 50 and Jam 70 seems to be about 20 pounds of Surfr's famous salsa verde and guacamole, which I would definitely count as necessities!!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by brady1 View Post
    ... what the need really is.... Am I missing something on this ground sheet thing?
    The utility of a piece of Tyvek is limited only by your imagination. Need? Of course not, but I never hike without mine.

My Tyvek is beach towel sized which allows me to roll it out on a sandy lake shore if I desire a midday bask in the sun, or just something to sit on if I stop for a AM snack when the ground is still dew covered.

Wanna gather firewood? - Nothing in my pack works as well to facilitate carrying a oversized bundle of sticks and branches. Were I faced with the need to fashion a splint, a stretcher or a MacGyverish Hang-glider, my Tyvek would be the first item in my pack I would grab. Did you know, Zombies are unable to bite through Tyvek? Who will feel silly when the walking dead come visiting your campsite? Tyvek and a sharpie will allow you to create your own portable chess/checker board. OK, Checker board is pedestrian use compared to Zombie shield but, you get the idea.

Granted, I use my Tyvek mostly for standing on while I wipe the day's grime from my body and feet immediately before retiring to my hammock for the night. However, I find it far too useful to consider it just a "comfort item".

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I carry a GoLite Jam 50 or 70... ...I find other things to make more sense, like an Emberlit EL Mini titanium wood stove (4.5 ounces). If I ever run out of alcohol, I have a wood-burning alternative. I've never run out of alcohol, but I do like the comfort of knowing it's in my pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeynono View Post
    You've never run out of alcohol for you or the stove?
    Doesn't take much once you get some experience on what you need and don't need, depending on the stove I guess. But I agree, I like the thought of having my woodburning stove more than I've actually used it. More often than not, its an expensive wind screen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMushroom View Post
    The difference between his Jam 50 and Jam 70 seems to be about 20 pounds of Surfr's famous salsa verde and guacamole, which I would definitely count as necessities!!
    OK Surf'r, you load up the Jam70 and I'll carry the burden of the family size bag (or 2) of chips! Just say when!!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I'm toying with ditching my tyvek for a small light weight poncho/tarp. Use it as a ground cloth, shelter in rain, lay gear out on. I do still tent camp in certain situations so it makes sense, but for how much tyvek ways, why not bring it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I used a ground sheet to keep my pack and shoes on, spread out what I wanted to use. Great for rainy days to keep my stuff dry. Etc, etc.

I ditched it a long time ago and now use a gear hammock and my stool to put things off the ground on either side of me. I don't like the idea of all the creepy crawlies that just may be almost as inquisitive as myself, trying to investigate my stuff in all hours of the night here in Florida. My stuff stays off the ground.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Two reasons for me. First when the ground is absolutely sopping wet it's nice to have a dry spot for your gear under the tarp. Second, I like having the option of an emergency shelter if need be. I carry my ground sheet even on day hikes.

Images
    I like to be able to dump out my bags of stuff without them being on the ground and without being concerned something will disappear under the leaves and grass.

My friend has an Osprey Atmos that came with a free rain cover from REI. I borrowed it for a trip to try out and took the liberty of making a modification. I replaced the shock cord with a much longer piece which allows the rain cover to lay completely flat. This allows it to do double duty.

Someone mentioned a rain skirt/kilt doing double duty. I have that in mind eventually. I'm currently playing around with Tyvek. I often stand on it, but this is probably a dumb idea unless you're on super soft ground. It's just too easy to puncture and grinds the dirt underneath into the Tyvek which then ends up in your pack. I personally think a Dutch pad makes more sense for this. It's cheaper to replace and probably warmer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast