Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I was thinking about using bricks for tying out the tarp (have only used the stand without a tarp thus far on clear nights). Maybe I need something heavier than a brick.
    Oh yes I believe you would need a bit more. I used two MSR ground hog stakes for each of the two tie outs that faced the wind last night but I have a 12' SimplyLightDesigns Winter haven which is a lot of tarp to hold in place in windy conditions. Maybe find the exact location where you are going to hand an drill some permanent tie downs that would fold flat or maybe removable.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I was thinking about using bricks for tying out the tarp (have only used the stand without a tarp thus far on clear nights). Maybe I need something heavier than a brick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or get yourself some small buckets and fill with sand.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Or get yourself some small buckets and fill with sand.
    Great idea. The handle on a bucket would make a good attachment point. Nice.

I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I'm just glad I could grab my top quilt and run in the house to get a warm drink. It would be a whole different story to be on the trail have to deal with those winds and trying to hear some water. It would have blown the pot over. Plus dealing with the cold. I'm going to reserve these temps for backyard tests
    Way to go TrailSlug!!!! Breaking a personal record is always a good hang! I don't really hang in my yard often because the forest is so close, so when I know it's going to be really cold I bring a small thermos with hot water. (right from the tap) It's the perfect thing in the middle of the night to hydrate, warm your belly and get you back to sleep.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by subcanis View Post
    Way to go TrailSlug!!!! Breaking a personal record is always a good hang! I don't really hang in my yard often because the forest is so close, so when I know it's going to be really cold I bring a small thermos with hot water. (right from the tap) It's the perfect thing in the middle of the night to hydrate, warm your belly and get you back to sleep.
    Thanks. I'm curious about how long does a bottom of hot water stay warm inside an under quilt?

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Awesome job TS!!! Thinking I may try tonight. But still lacking to full length under quilt.....

When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks. I'm curious about how long does a bottom of hot water stay warm inside an under quilt?
    I use a thermos, so I don't know about the hot water bottle thing, I've never tried that. But even in a mediocre thermos the water is still hot in the morning after hanging on the side of my hammock all night.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    Awesome job TS!!! Thinking I may try tonight. But still lacking to full length under quilt.....

The times I have done that, snow camping on the ground, it was warm for about 6 hours. That's when I got up to answer nature's call. I could have made the water hotter and used a liner sock to extend the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Torso UQ
    Images
    Impressive, TrailSlug! What suspension are you using on the WBRR with the Tato Gear stand, and would you mind posting detailed pictures of that?

I just finished setting up my Tato kit with my Ridgerunner with conduit lengths similar to yours (seen on another thread) and the hang angle is too steep for comfort. I cut my leg conduits to 6.5 feet each and the top rail is 13 feet. Tried with the stock webbing + cinch buckles + camp nano biners (cinched the webbing all the way tight), and also tried clipping the biners directly to the dogbones on the either end of the RR, but it's still no bueno for my back. Seems like a number of folks are doing fine with a Ridgerunner on a Tato stand with 13' top rail, so I'm wondering what I'm missing here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Impressive, TrailSlug! What suspension are you using on the WBRR with the Tato Gear stand, and would you mind posting detailed pictures of that?

I just finished setting up my Tato kit with my Ridgerunner with conduit lengths similar to yours (seen on another thread) and the hang angle is too steep for comfort. I cut my leg conduits to 6.5 feet each and the top rail is 13 feet. Tried with the stock webbing + cinch buckles + camp nano biners (cinched the webbing all the way tight), and also tried clipping the biners directly to the dogbones on the either end of the RR, but it's still no bueno for my back. Seems like a number of folks are doing fine with a Ridgerunner on a Tato stand with 13' top rail, so I'm wondering what I'm missing here.
    I've taken down my gear and it's just too cold to set back up but let me show you what I did to get a nice hang angle with my 6 ft legs on my Tato stand. I added an Amsteel continuous loop around the triangles on the suspension and I clip these Amsteel loops into the chrome carabiner that came on the Tato gear. Adding this to each end gives me a very good hang angle.
    Here's a pic or two to show what I attempted to describe. Hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions as it took me a while to figure out how to connect the suspension to the Tato stand and this seems to work great. I leave this Amsteel in place all the time so it makes hanging very easy.

20170107_164123.jpg20170107_164117.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast