Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Torso UQ
    Images
    Thanks, that's really helpful! After finding that the webbing suspension was unsatisfactory, I tried attaching my biners to that loop right where the cinch buckles are located in your photos, which gives about the same lead length as your continuous loop. Comfortable, but I still didn't last all night. I'll give the loop a try, but I wonder if what I might need to do is to simply cut my legs shorter to 6 feet.

I'll get it set up again tomorrow and PM you photos if you wouldn't mind taking a look, so as not to further hijack your thread here

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks. I'm curious about how long does a bottom of hot water stay warm inside an under quilt?
    I boil water and then put it in Nalgene in a wool sock. Water stays warm all night! Then in the morning you can actually shave 30 seconds to a minute of your morning boil for coffee. That minute can be Huge in the winter!

By putting it between your legs you are warming your carotid artery so it warms your whole body. Try it you'll love it. Just make sure your bottle isn't a leaker.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Thanks, that's really helpful! After finding that the webbing suspension was unsatisfactory, I tried attaching my biners to that loop right where the cinch buckles are located in your photos, which gives about the same lead length as your continuous loop. Comfortable, but I still didn't last all night. I'll give the loop a try, but I wonder if what I might need to do is to simply cut my legs shorter to 6 feet.

I'll get it set up again tomorrow and PM you photos if you wouldn't mind taking a look, so as not to further hijack your thread here
    Don't worry about hi-jacking as it doesn't bother me at all. Here's a picture of mine setup for comparison.

20160611_103548.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I boil water and then put it in Nalgene in a wool sock. Water stays warm all night! Then in the morning you can actually shave 30 seconds to a minute of your morning boil for coffee. That minute can be Huge in the winter!

By putting it between your legs you are warming your carotid artery so it warms your whole body. Try it you'll love it. Just make sure your bottle isn't a leaker.
    I'm going to try this next time I hang. I just hope it doesn't leak.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great to hear you broke your record! Sounds like a challenging night for you! Way to hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiedUp View Post
    Great to hear you broke your record! Sounds like a challenging night for you! Way to hang in there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Temps were not an issue, the wind was My backyard has very few trees to block any wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Ok guys I just got in from the backyard and I'm proud to say I made it overnight for my record coldest night. We hit 12.5° F in the backyard. I own a Davis Vantage Pro weather station and it hangs about 15 feet from where I hang so the weather info isn't hard to check. The amazing thing to me was the wind last night. I really thought I was going to have to bail several times as I thought the wind was going to turn over my Tato stand. I set the tarp where it would block the prevailing wind and all night long the wind blew so hard that I rocked back and forth from the tarp pushing me and at times I would even bounce. I checked this morning and they said we have 20-25 mph sustained winds with 30-35 gusts. The winds subsided some this morning (thank goodness) but are supposed to pick back up later today. I couldn't believe how windy it was. I could hear the gusts coming and I found myself bracing for the moment it would hit me. Once I put the ear plugs in I was able to somewhat settle down. I didn't get a ton of sleep but hey I woke up at 8 am, warm with a frozen top quilt. I was toasty warm all night long except when I would roll around and not get the top quilt tucked back in. It's hard to take pictures when it's cold. I earn more respect for Shug and all the other guys that video their hangs for us as that would be hard to do in temps this low and lower for many of you.
    My gear:
    - SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven
    - Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    - LocoLibre 0° Ghost Pepper top quilt
    - Warbonnet full length winter Lynx
    - Balaclava
    - Black Rock down hat
    - LL bean fleece pants
    - Long sleeve poly shirt
    - Polo sweater

I slept very warm all night but did start to chill just a little bit this morning just before I woke up so my 10/15° rule seems right on where I get cool when the temps get within 10/15° of the rating of my equipment. 10° with no wind and 15° with wind.
    Do you happen to use the Warbonnet Spindrift Sock? I'm curious if anyone has done any real world testing to see how big of a difference it makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Sawtooth Mountain cheapie
    Tarp
    Bluestone Mountain
    Insulation
    WL TQ/UQ
    Congratulations! I tried telling someone what that's like when you can HEAR the wind gust coming. You're the only other person I've heard describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofthebearded View Post
    Do you happen to use the Warbonnet Spindrift Sock? I'm curious if anyone has done any real world testing to see how big of a difference it makes.
    I do not use a sock at all. I posted pics in the first post showing the setup. Just a tarp and hammock and quilts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsananna View Post
    Congratulations! I tried telling someone what that's like when you can HEAR the wind gust coming. You're the only other person I've heard describe it.
    Yea when it's that windy you find yourself "bracing" for the wind to hit the tarp/hammock after the roar of the wind from above. I'm guessing it takes a few seconds to hit down low after blowing through the tree tops. After a few hours of this I found myself tensing up. Once I put my ear plugs in I couldn't hear the wind as well so I could relax. It still would wake me up from time to time due to the hammock swinging a lot more than usual.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast