Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Shattered the record for my coldest hang

Ok guys I just got in from the backyard and I'm proud to say I made it overnight for my record coldest night. We hit 12.5° F in the backyard. I own a Davis Vantage Pro weather station and it hangs about 15 feet from where I hang so the weather info isn't hard to check. The amazing thing to me was the wind last night. I really thought I was going to have to bail several times as I thought the wind was going to turn over my Tato stand. I set the tarp where it would block the prevailing wind and all night long the wind blew so hard that I rocked back and forth from the tarp pushing me and at times I would even bounce. I checked this morning and they said we have 20-25 mph sustained winds with 30-35 gusts. The winds subsided some this morning (thank goodness) but are supposed to pick back up later today. I couldn't believe how windy it was. I could hear the gusts coming and I found myself bracing for the moment it would hit me. Once I put the ear plugs in I was able to somewhat settle down. I didn't get a ton of sleep but hey I woke up at 8 am, warm with a frozen top quilt. I was toasty warm all night long except when I would roll around and not get the top quilt tucked back in. It's hard to take pictures when it's cold. I earn more respect for Shug and all the other guys that video their hangs for us as that would be hard to do in temps this low and lower for many of you.
    My gear:
    - SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven
    - Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    - LocoLibre 0° Ghost Pepper top quilt
    - Warbonnet full length winter Lynx
    - Balaclava
    - Black Rock down hat
    - LL bean fleece pants
    - Long sleeve poly shirt
    - Polo sweater

I slept very warm all night but did start to chill just a little bit this morning just before I woke up so my 10/15° rule seems right on where I get cool when the temps get within 10/15° of the rating of my equipment. 10° with no wind and 15° with wind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 01-07-2017 at 09:39.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Awesome! The wind can be tough to deal with, and can really take the outside temp and make it irrelevant. Good job sticking with the hang and setting a new record for yourself! I am thinking I may do something similar tonight, would be my coldest night in a hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpkrmn View Post
    Awesome! The wind can be tough to deal with, and can really take the outside temp and make it irrelevant. Good job sticking with the hang and setting a new record for yourself! I am thinking I may do something similar tonight, would be my coldest night in a hammock.
    Thanks. Yes, these winter tarps are very good for blocking the wind but the added coverage makes for a very very large sail If I had it to do over I would have added one more set of tie downs to my SLD Winter Haven to help with keeping things taught in winds like we experienced last night. I was just watching the weather and they said wind chill values last night were in the 5° to -5° range all night long. I'm just glad I could grab my top quilt and run in the house to get a warm drink. It would be a whole different story to be on the trail have to deal with those winds and trying to hear some water. It would have blown the pot over. Plus dealing with the cold. I'm going to reserve these temps for backyard tests

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Congrats! It always feels cool ( no pun intented lol) when you wake up and look at the thermometer/ overnight low temp and realize its a new p.r doesnt it? Its like a man vs nature kinda thing. I got down to around 15° last night, but tonight is gonna be a lot colder with heavy wind off of the water, so I should hit or go below zero FINALLY. Thanks for the report, good luck tonight if you decide to try and break your new record, I know I will be!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Congratulations, Slug! (That's almost 10 degrees below my record low to date.) You certainly have a great gear set-up for colder temperatures. Stay warm!
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Enos
    Tarp
    Eno dragon fly
    Insulation
    DIY coming soon!
    Suspension
    Atlas EXT
    Images
    That's awesome! You are one brave soul. I wish we had all the equipment to try something as cold as this, we are working on it. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Squeaky Toy Adventures

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Congrats! It always feels cool ( no pun intented lol) when you wake up and look at the thermometer/ overnight low temp and realize its a new p.r doesnt it? Its like a man vs nature kinda thing. I got down to around 15° last night, but tonight is gonna be a lot colder with heavy wind off of the water, so I should hit or go below zero FINALLY. Thanks for the report, good luck tonight if you decide to try and break your new record, I know I will be!
    Thanks. If you want zero weather then I hope you get it. I can see how this personal best low temp hangs can get addictive but I'm not sure I want to ask for temps much lower or I'm going to have to figure out a better way to cover my nose better

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Congratulations, Slug! (That's almost 10 degrees below my record low to date.) You certainly have a great gear set-up for colder temperatures. Stay warm!
    Thanks. I'm a cold sleeper so to go much lower in this kind of wind I'd need to move to negative rated quilts.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Nicely done! Congrats on the new record. For Alabama that's beyond arctic!
    I bet your neighbors think you're certifiable!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I slept very warm all night but did start to chill just a little bit this morning just before I woke up so my 10/15° rule seems right on where I get cool when the temps get within 10/15° of the rating of my equipment. 10° with no wind and 15° with wind.
    Congrats. It's always an adventure to find you're bottom temp ranges and getting through a cold night always makes you feel good about your setup. I'm in North Carolina and spend a lot of time at a place called the Linville Gorge. We get massive winds through the Gorge, so I can relate to your high wind experience. Also, your last statement about not getting chilled until morning is what I've always considered the "witching hours" of cold weather hammocking. Between 3am - 6am is when you learn if you're geared up for the challenge.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast