DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Never considered applying an intelligence level to any of components or solutions... If it works, and it's easy, it's as intelligent as I need it to be,

Your knot idea works just fine.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    It definitely makes life easier, but seems inelegant. It also slips down and has to be positioned just right before tying the becket, partly negating the ease of becket tying vis-a-vis a J-bend.

I've come to prefer using a soft-shackle instead of a CL at the gathered end of my hammocks, partly because the knot of the shackle can be grabbed and pulled to help release a becket, in the same way as the little loop in your pic. Perhaps my method is also inelegant though...

Well that's good, too... as long as there's something to grab... Sometimes function and aesthetics do not intersect!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I learned both from Shug. IMHO, the advantage of the J is less slipping. When I tie the BH, and pull to secure the webbing, it slips sometimes as much as an inch. That can make a difference sometimes and sometimes not. With the J, you know exactly where it's going to be once you've created the MSH.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    I learned both from Shug. IMHO, the advantage of the J is less slipping. When I tie the BH, and pull to secure the webbing, it slips sometimes as much as an inch. That can make a difference sometimes and sometimes not. With the J, you know exactly where it's going to be once you've created the MSH.
    glad you like it! <3
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Rei 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    and your half hitches method is crazytalk!! please hang on a tougher knot than that, for your back's sake lol
    100% disagree with that. I weight over 235lbs, use cargo straps for tree straps/suspension, and my go-to method is a slippery half-hitch with another slippery half hitch for a stopper. I simply carabiner to the loop of the SHH, adjust the loop until I get the hang right, then tie off with the stopper SHH. If my hang isn't perfect, simply pull out the stopper SHH, adjust the loop, then tie back the stopper SHH.

To pack up, unhook the carabiners, pull out the stopper SHH with one pull, then the main SHH with the second yank. Easy-peasy, and hasn't failed me yet.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

J-Bend vs Beckett Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Garsk View Post
    100% disagree with that. I weight over 235lbs, use cargo straps for tree straps/suspension, and my go-to method is a slippery half-hitch with another slippery half hitch for a stopper. I simply carabiner to the loop of the SHH, adjust the loop until I get the hang right, then tie off with the stopper SHH. If my hang isn't perfect, simply pull out the stopper SHH, adjust the loop, then tie back the stopper SHH.

To pack up, unhook the carabiners, pull out the stopper SHH with one pull, then the main SHH with the second yank. Easy-peasy, and hasn't failed me yet.
    If your suspension works for you—great
    There’s lots of suspensions out here and they mostly work to our satisfaction—until we change suspensions—as I’ve been known to do.
    BillyBob, can you possibly have a slip knot in your suspension and call it a slippery half hitch?
    Maybe you can post a few pictures of your rigging and show your sequence of knots.

I use slipknots in YouTube David Hughes
    Carolina Red Hammock Suspension
    Kokomo Hammock Suspension
    These slipknots act as stopper knots to stop any further motion when slipknot can’t pull through larkshead.

Garsk, welcome to the insanity, join our journey, getting all tied up in knots...
    Some webbing slips less or none and some lighter webbing can slip with some knots...

Reef hitch onto continuous loop
    Becket hitch
    Becket hitch with extra wrap
    Becket hitch backed up with a slipknot
    Carolina Becket hitch tied on continuous loop with a larkshead and backed up with slipknot
    J-Bend—-no back up needed-don’t slip
    Marlin Spike hitch—does not slip
    Hennessy figure eight style lashing
    Slipped Lapp hitch on continuous loop
    And numerous other cussing knots
    Or you can have a cup of coffee and get some of Dutch’s buckles and straps and have an incredibly fast foolproof hang
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-08-2019 at 17:13.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    half hitches are for the brave and fearless!
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Theguywitheyebrows, I know you right
    However—
    Maybe heavy duty coarse grainy straps are used instead of more lightweight and slicker straps

It’s possible slippery halfhitch is misnamed, may be a slipknot instead

We need all brave and fearless innovators we can get! I’d like to see photos of rig and closeup of knots being tied

Imma drink my coffee now...
    I got a knife, cause you never know when a knot might turn on you...

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

I would also like to see this tied loosely in order to see what's being done. Sounds like the second 'stopper SHH' is a slipped bight perhaps? Can this be tied directly to CL and eliminate the carabiner?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If your suspension works for you—great
    There’s lots of suspensions out here and they mostly work to our satisfaction—until we change suspensions—as I’ve been known to do.
    BillyBob, can you possibly have a slip knot in your suspension and call it a slippery half hitch?
    Maybe you can post a few pictures of your rigging and show your sequence of knots.

I use slipknots in YouTube David Hughes
    Carolina Red Hammock Suspension
    Kokomo Hammock Suspension
    These slipknots act as stopper knots to stop any further motion when slipknot can’t pull through larkshead.

Garsk, welcome to the insanity, join our journey, getting all tied up in knots...
    Some webbing slips less or none and some lighter webbing can slip with some knots...

Reef hitch onto continuous loop
    Becket hitch
    Becket hitch with extra wrap
    Becket hitch backed up with a slipknot
    Carolina Becket hitch tied on continuous loop with a larkshead and backed up with slipknot
    J-Bend—-no back up needed-don’t slip
    Marlin Spike hitch—does not slip
    Hennessy figure eight style lashing
    Slipped Lapp hitch on continuous loop
    And numerous other cussing knots
    Or you can have a cup of coffee and get some of Dutch’s buckles and straps and have an incredibly fast foolproof hang
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    half hitches are for the brave and fearless!
    So, if I have it right, all of the above was in response to my previous post which said:
    Posted by BillyBob58
    I have been using the Becket Hitch recently as it was the recommended knot for the Hammocktent that I have been playing with more and more. But especially when hanging from my back yard stand, as I have difficulty getting things as high as needed with this hammock, I went ahead and tried something I had mentioned I think in another thread on this subject: a simple slippery 1/2 hitch backed up by another 1/2 hitch, the knot recommended by Claytor. Also have some biners clipped into the CLs of the hammocktent 90 for convenience, since weight is no object in my back yard or on day hikes. I 1/2 hitch to the biners. It could not be simpler and has worked flawlessly.

But as has been mentioned: if an adjustment is needed, it is probably really hard to beat whoopies. So reading about the use of the Marlin Spike hitch used with the J bend, using the strap as a toggle, has got me thinking: would this work with the traditional WSs and MSH? Instead of putting a toggle through the MSH, what if I just put a slippery loop of webbing through the MSH instead of a toggle? Would that give a good enough knot that would hold, to hang the WS on? I'm already in for the night or I would run out and try it.
    ....................... All of the above was in response to thia last quote from me, right?

I never responded to the warnings my post and question(webbing as a toggle for MSH ) and other crazy talk ( ) raised. But, I did try what I was asking about, and it worked, with no slip. But, I have not used it again since that test. But, I have used that slippery 1/2 hitch many a time. As Garsk says, I normally have another 1/2 hitch as a stopper. But as far as I can tell, the stopper has never been needed.

With my hang weight up and down from maybe 195-226 lb, I have used this knot since I got my first Claytor about 2007. And never a slip except I think maybe I slipped 1/2-1" one time using it with my Hammock Tent 90 rather than the recommended Becket. Ironically, using it because, after the initial slip when tightening the Becket, I could not get the hammock high enough with my stand. That slipped- once weighted- about the same amount as the Beckett did before weighting. That was a combo of some slippery end loop rope on the HT90 and plain old black webbing, polyester I suppose.

But with most webbing that I normally use a 1/2 hitch with, there has been zero slippage since 2007. I just use this knot(as well as others, Beckett, J bend, HH fig 8, WS ) as suggested by Claytor: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
    It has worked well, easily and safely for 12+ years.
    I'm sure results vary with what combo of ropes and webbing is being used. So I imagine there are some slippery ropes( and even webbing?) that the 1/2 hitch might be risky with. Whenever I try something new, I test very carefully with either a very low hang or some padding under me. Another thing I have been doing since 2006 with my 1st ever HH, I did not trust that HH fig 8 hitch, though it never failed. But there are no knots I have used in the woods-- including the slippery 1/2 hitch more than any other since my Claytor with Pea Pod was my go to for back packing for many years- that have ever let me down.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-09-2019 at 13:05.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast