Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Sanity check on cold weather gear requested

Preface
    I'll preface this by saying I'm not ultra-light, but on the low-end of light weight (at least my current base weight is ~10-12# before I bring fun stuff) and while I enjoy hiking part of the day, I like being comfortable hanging around camp with friends and bring stuff for my enjoyment.

About the Trip
    In Late February my friends and I are going on a short trip, mostly as a test run to set the pace for the rest of the year, where we want to aim to go a minimum of six times -- preferably many more and not be afraid of going down to the mid twenties.

It will be a 4.5 mile hike in, and be a total of a 3 day trip, hike in and set-up, hang around camp and have fun, then tear-down and hike out.

I'm in the pacific northwest, historical temperatures of the area we are going, for the weekend we are going, are as follows:
    Highest Average Lowest
    Highs 66F 54F 46F
    Lows 48F 37F 26F

Current Gear

I am hammocking so I am bringing a custom Superfly-style tarp, a custom gathered end hammock, a Brand New (Can you tell I'm excited? I do plan to do tests before going) Hammock Gear Quilt set of Burrow and Incubator -- both rated to 20F.

For clothes I currently have some BDUs that I've really enjoyed, I always wear wool socks from Costco, either my daily heavy tennis shoes or my heavier waterproof zippered military boots (I've forded small streams, tromped all day in snow and never got wet feet), and some other light spring/fall stuff that isn't meant for staying outside long in 30-40F with the exception of a couple super heavy coats.

Here's where I need help

I haven't gone below 40F in any recent time, so I don't have any midweight cold gear. I want to buy reasonably priced gear that will help me in the edges of the shoulder seasons around here.

Here are new things I am thinking of purchasing:
    • reusable heat packs I only plan on taking 1-2, never used them for backpacking before
      • Pre-heat quilts
      • give extras to friends or store for future trips
      • warm any cold spots I get while hanging around at camp
      • can just boil a little water to use them as much as I want
    • Ergodyne N-Ferno 6823 Balaclava, available in camo or black. I have a merino buff that I use all that time, but here's where I see a benefit:
      • wind proof on some areas
      • sounds like it will be warmer
      • keeps the modular face covering and easy breathing of my buff
    • Minus33 Merino Wool Men's Kancamagus Midweight Bottom and Minus33 Merino Wool Men's Isolation Midweight 1/4 Zip
      • I know Layers are the way to go, and while I have a super lightweight supper layer that is more from sun protection than anything else, I don't have stuff that keeps me warm.
      • I know from experience wool is great
      • I don't know if these are enough, or if they are overkill

• 32 Degrees Men's Nano Light Packable Hooded Down Jacket)
      • down puffers are the preferred stuff here in the PCNW
      • lighter weight than my winter jackets, warmer than my fleece jackets

My main questions are

• Are these good choices?
    • Will they keep me warm?
    • Are there better options that are the same price or cheaper? (dropping a lot more cash than I expected to be honest)
    • IS there something that performs almost as good, but is significantly cheaper?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    This opinion is based on your sleeping portion of your trip only.

My MAMW TQ is rated to 30* with 2 oz overstuff and my UGQ UQ is rated to 20*.

Assuming HG quilts are just as good (and I have every reason to believe they are based on their reviews) you should be good down to the lowest temp listed wherever you got your information. I've had my quilt-set down to the mid 20s with no issues.

I wore/wear a cheap Walmart balaclava to sleep in, and a pair of synthetic lj's and synthetic ls shirt, and a pair of wicking footie socks. I do tend to sleep warm.

With your quilts, proper sleepwear and a few hand-warmers you shouldn't have any problems.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If the average low is 37° and the lowest recorded is 26° and you have a 20° quilt and all of those cloths you will be fine.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    I have a couple of the 32 degree hooded jackets, plan to hike in the morning at temps around zero, will throw on the 32 degree over a wind shirt while stopped to make some coffee and eat lunch. I like the hooded version better than no hood. Keep in mind I will be using other layers poly shirt - merino wool long sleeve and heavy fleece under the wind shirt during the actual hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayit View Post
    I have a couple of the 32 degree hooded jackets, plan to hike in the morning at temps around zero, will throw on the 32 degree over a wind shirt while stopped to make some coffee and eat lunch. I like the hooded version better than no hood. Keep in mind I will be using other layers poly shirt - merino wool long sleeve and heavy fleece under the wind shirt during the actual hike.
    Man I would burn up with that many clothes on. I'm sweating just trying to imagine all of that clothing. Wait I do not own that many winter clothes.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Most quilts will take you a little lower than rated temps. The overstuff most give you is generous. Layer up, eat well, and you'll be fine!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Man I would burn up with that many clothes on. I'm sweating just trying to imagine all of that clothing. Wait I do not own that many winter clothes.
    Lol, yea I am a serious wimp when it comes to cold weather hiking and camping .... I refuse to go out when temps are -10 with wind chill at - 30 that's just too cold for me. To be honest never used my hammock set up below 5 degrees but a couple weeks ago did 13 degrees with my DL Danger bird / WB superfly and Cave Creek hammocks zero degree quilts. Was toasty warm except for fingers in one hand that has frostbite damage from my younger stupid years. My peacock hand warmers fixed that problem real fast.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayit View Post
    Lol, yea I am a serious wimp when it comes to cold weather hiking and camping .... I refuse to go out when temps are -10 with wind chill at - 30 that's just too cold for me. To be honest never used my hammock set up below 5 degrees but a couple weeks ago did 13 degrees with my DL Danger bird / WB superfly and Cave Creek hammocks zero degree quilts. Was toasty warm except for fingers in one hand that has frostbite damage from my younger stupid years. My peacock hand warmers fixed that problem real fast.
    I'm with you there. I'm cold when it's in the 50's so it's hard for me to test the really cold weather but we typically do not see real cold weather here. Tonight it's supposed to get to 14° and the lowest I've seen it at my house is 11° so I'm going to try and hang tonight How do these peacock hand warmers work? Do you light them and then put them in a pouch? How do they get air?

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch

Sanity check on cold weather gear requested

The Peacock hand warmers are my best winter purchase, easy to fill with no mess. Two oz gets a 24 hour burn. Light the catalyst and throw them in the bag. Needs to be in the bag for two reasons; cutting oxygen so the burn slows and they get too hot to touch with no bag. Much better design as far as filling than the cheaper zippo brand. Fill up the pink funnel and twist 90 degrees and you get perfect amount of fluid no over filling or spilling.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Cool thanks for the information.

• + New Posts