WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain

Cold weather gear/set up Question

Hey all, I've done a bit of winter hiking, mostly using my tent(s). I intend to head out in Feb. ( Ohio ) and can expect anything from 10 to 35 degree nights. So..... Using my WBBB Hammock and my -0- degree underquilt, I feel pretty good. I was questioning a few other items. 1) Y or N to using my Neo Air pad in the hammock sleeve? if not, I can always use my GG CCF 2) Will I be okay using my EE 30 degree overquilt? or do I need a warmer sleeping bag/oq?

Note- I don't have doors, and I don't have an UQProtector.

I know this is only 2 nights, so not a huge deal, but I am trying to get the warmth/weight in order, and just don't know what all I need to carry. I think I'll have the underside in order, but am not sure about my overquilt... Oh yeah, I also plan to take my Marmot down pants, and booties.

I really like to be warm, and prepared in winter, but will graciously listen to your thoughts. Thank you.

Rick/ golf
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    If it hits the low end of your 10-35 range, which is a significant difference in temperature, you will want more on top, IMO. Also, take your pad (either one) because if the wind gets up you will be vulnerable without a true winter tarp and/or a UQP.

Good luck, let us know what you decided on and how it went!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cold weather gear/set up Question

I'd be concerned about your top layer. usually, you'd want to have a bit of a safety buffer with low temperature ranges. if you expect lows to be in the 10s , it's safest to bring 0 degree equipment. You might want to consider a 0 degree top quilt to be safe.

at the very least, give your current set up a trial run near your home or vehicle so you can know for sure what to expect.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yep to be safe in the winter I would strongly recommend applying a 10/15° rule. If it's windy and you do not want to get cold don't try to push your gear and keep a 15° buffer for the "in case" it goes lower than predicted. For example, last night our low was predicted to be 15° it hit 12.5° with 20-30 mph winds. Much colder than predicted. Winter isn't something you want to mess with especially if you are far from a bail point and even more so if you are by yourself.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yep to be safe in the winter I would strongly recommend applying a 10/15° rule. If it's windy and you do not want to get cold don't try to push your gear and keep a 15° buffer for the "in case" it goes lower than predicted. For example, last night our low was predicted to be 15° it hit 12.5° with 20-30 mph winds. Much colder than predicted. Winter isn't something you want to mess with especially if you are far from a bail point and even more so if you are by yourself.
    +1 on ^^ year round I use to 10 - 20F rule but I tend to sleep cold
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    If it hits the low end of your 10-35 range, which is a significant difference in temperature, you will want more on top, IMO. Also, take your pad (either one) because if the wind gets up you will be vulnerable without a true winter tarp and/or a UQP.

Good luck, let us know what you decided on and how it went!
    Agree. 0º UQ is good to 0º and then some with an added CCF Pad. TQ is questionable. I question a 20º TQ with a 20º UQ. But the Down Pants with Down Booties and add in a Down Jacket to supplement may make all the difference for you. Don't forget a balaclava/head covering and even a pillow will create a different aspect to the microclimate you are creating.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain
    Thanks all. I will wait & see what that weekend's weather offers. I can always take my 0 sleeping bag, vs. the 30, and with all my other items I am sure to be warm. I've got all the gear, in the end I am really just trying to balance my weight for a weekend hike. As for "testing" in the backyard, never a bad idea.

Golf
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

• + New Posts