Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Group Tarp for Artic conditions

This summer a group of eight of us are heading to Baffin Island in the artic for a canoe trip. While we won't be hammocking (there are no trees!) we are looking for a good homemade tarp that's reasonably lightweight for us to hang out under in the likely case of rain. The area is notoriously windy.

I'm thinking of creating a tarp a lot like the standard cat cut hex Ripstopbytheroll kit, just bigger to accommodate more people, and then bringing two long poles for each end. If it's super-windy we could stake the sides closer to the ground.

Just wondering people's thoughts: Is this a good strategy or should we consider another design/pattern? Eight people is a lot. My worry over a Kelty Noah design is it's susceptibility to wind. Space and weight are considerations given our chartered flight has put severe weight restrictions on us.

Thankful in advance for any advice.
    Steve

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    That will need to be one HUGE hex tarp!

If it is Arctic conditions, I'd be in a big tent (canvas perhaps?), not an open-ended hex. In those conditions, you'll get cold and wet in a hex tarp.

Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I had a group of 7 men under a large Noah tarp on a canoe trip last year. We did just fine. One advantage of the Noah is all the tie out points. If they are all utilized they can take a lot of wind. Just to get some ideas, you might check out Boundary Water Catalog as they have some large group tarps in sil. I have been tempted to make one, but haven't tackled it yet. Good luck.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Robic XL single layer
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I have no real advice to offer, just wanted to share that I was in the process of sewing a 15x15 group tarp for arctic conditions when I got notification on this topic.

Spooky.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Why not make two or three normal sized tarps that can be duel use? Main use cover your hammock. Secondary use sting up multiple tarps side beside to cover the group. This way you can spread the load out among every one to carry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I have no real advice to offer, just wanted to share that I was in the process of sewing a 15x15 group tarp for arctic conditions when I got notification on this topic.

Spooky.

Whoa. Hope you're not on my river!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why not make two or three normal sized tarps that can be duel use? Main use cover your hammock. Secondary use sting up multiple tarps side beside to cover the group. This way you can spread the load out among every one to carry as well.

I had thought of that and indeed have a standard sized tarp that'll come along. We were hoping to have a single tarp for the eight of us to huddle under and commiserate about the weather though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanslam View Post
    I had thought of that and indeed have a standard sized tarp that'll come along. We were hoping to have a single tarp for the eight of us to huddle under and commiserate about the weather though.
    For a light weight silPoly tarp that's a lot of thin material to catch a lot of wind. I would suggest just going to WallMart and getting one of the big tarps they sell especially if you are canoeing and do not have to worry about the weight as much as you would if you were hiking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-kel...cxwaAiGJ8P8HAQ

Go with the Noah's 16'. Yes, they're kind of heavy but built like a tank and have a ton of tieouts plus a cat-cut to help with wind flapping. I think you're going to spend a lot of time/money to maybe shave a pound or two off of a group use item. You can save some money/weight on the poles too. Is this a base camp or traveling trip? Maybe you can lash a pair of canoe or kayak paddles together for the end poles instead of dragging dedicated poles.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post

Spooky.

So what kind of a tarp are you sewing for a group that's 15 x 15. Would you mind telling me your dimensions and how it will set up? Are you using poles?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast