Hammock
    11 ft. Half-Wit 1.6w
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 11
    Insulation
    WL Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

First time hammock buyer with questions.

This is a list of some of the gear I was thinking about purchasing soon. I am asking for suggestions or opinions on things like Tarp UQ/TQ that may be cheaper but still lightweight and good quality.
    I am 6'0 and 225 lb.
    Hammock: WBBB xlc 1.1 double. I think I want to stay with particular Hammock.
    Tarp: WB superfly. I think I really like this style would be willing to look at other manufacturers offerings that are similar.
    UQ: WB Yeti or Wookie xl. Really looking for suggestions on this. I think I will go with a 3/4 length UQ for weight savings.
    TQ: I will be almost too broke for one. But I really like the Enlightened Equipment-Enigma.
    Accessories:

Looking forward to seeing the all suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Your list includes all quality items. I'll merely suggest that you can use a sleeping bag (that you already have?) as a top quilt for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    As MAD said, using a sleeping bag is definitely a TQ option if funds are tight. I'd also suggest looking at Loco Libre. They have quality synthetic TQ's for very reasonable prices. I have one & have absolutely zero complaints. Actually I've honestly NEVER heard a complaint about any of LL's gear

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcH View Post
    UQ: WB Yeti or Wookie xl. Really looking for suggestions on this. I think I will go with a 3/4 length UQ for weight savings.
    I have both but only use the Wooki. The Yeti is a very minimalistic underquilt; it's very narrow and short to save weight. I sleep cold and found that partial underquilts are not for me, but I loaned the Yeti to a couple of guys (sizes between 5.5' and 6', weights around 220 lbs, none with an extremely wide build) and they all complained about the narrow width.

If you already go with a BB, try the Wooki. I have used a few quality underquilts and was mostly happy until the Wooki came along. The comfort (no pressure points from shock cords) is so much better, and it's still pretty lightweight. Until something even better comes along, or I switch to a non-WB hammock, I'm sticking with my Wooki.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you're going 3/4 anyway, I'd go with the $100 synthetic Jarbridge for an UQ and put funds into a good down TQ. Should take a look at Loco Libre as they offer some syn quilts, too. I have the Serrano which runs a little less than some other down quilts if you get the flat sewn footbox, which I like - but I have small feet. And the Superfly is a great choice, but might check Simply Light Designs for their winter tarp.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My suggestion is do not purchase any gear until you visit the SE section here and get to a hammock hang. Folks will let you try out their gear and give you some feedback in person. I know it would have saved me a lot of $$$ if I had done that first. HERE is a link to that section

I suggest the above because what works for one person very well may not work for the next one regardless of size. There is fabric to consider and what feels good to you might itch to the next person. Now add in different suspension types of which there are many and some l like, some I hate but you will feel different.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch Netted Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Bot Pad, Top Quilt
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    I have a warbonnet setup and it is great but it is heavy. I am always comfortable in it. I am 6'3" 240 pounds and the only change I would make is get a different underquilt. I have the Yeti and it is a big narrow for me. It still keeps me warm but it can be a bit narrow and slip off from time to time. My next underquilt will probably come from hammock gear that is made specifically for me. Or to save some money, I am going to make my own (or at least attempt to lol). But overall, warbonnet gear is good quality and you can't go wrong with them.

Hammock
    Dutchware or Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Jarbridge and a HG Incubator 20.

I love my Incubator! Something about that downy goodness surrounding you in warmth!

I have the WBBB and would recommend the XLC as I had issues with the calf ridge. I use a DH DIY clone now and have passed my WBBB to my daughter.

Use a sleeping bad for your TQ and there are always some for sale here. I plan on getting a Loco Libre, as someone mentioned above. They look fantastic.

I have 2 WB tarps and highly recommend the Superfly.

I will say that my Dutch hammock is my backup and a nice low-cost option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hammock
    Dutchware DL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    If you're going 3/4 anyway, I'd go with the $100 synthetic Jarbridge for an UQ and put funds into a good down TQ. Should take a look at Loco Libre as they offer some syn quilts, too. I have the Serrano which runs a little less than some other down quilts if you get the flat sewn footbox, which I like - but I have small feet. And the Superfly is a great choice, but might check Simply Light Designs for their winter tarp.
    I agree with the jarbidge 100%. If you said you would be nearly too broke for a TQ going with a cheaper UQ like the Jarbidge will allow some extra funds to go towards the TQ, and I have 0 complaints regarding the Jarbidge. Alternatively just use a partially unzipped sleeping bag for a TQ until you can buy one as others have suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First time hammock buyer with questions.

I'd recommend checking out wilderness logics. they sell a 3/4 length underquilt for less than $200. I an under quilt from this company that's rated to 40 and it is very nice!

http://wildernesslogics.com/Under-Quilt-3-4-Length-15F-UQ-3-4.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast