Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

How to sew a rolled hem with a *rolled hem foot* on outdoor fabrics

Pharmgeek, this post is for you.

I have heard some complaints here on Hammock Forums that the rolled hem foot is problematic, leading to inconsistent results, ruined projects, and/or big headaches.

This week I am putting a beautiful rolled hem on my 1.1 oz silpoly winter tarp (with cat curves, in lovely shades of green and yellow), so I thought I would share how to do it. In this video I troubleshoot the problems that I think people are confronting with the rolled hem foot on outdoor fabrics, and I show you how to sew several types of outdoor fabrics using a rolled hem foot, including some of the more challenging fabrics, such as very lightweight (1 oz Hyper D ripstop nylon, 0.66 membrane taffeta) and waterproof (1.1 oz silpoly), using a rolled hem foot.

You can put a rolled hem on the sides of your single-layer hammocks, on tarps, on underquilt protectors, and on other outdoor fabric projects without needing a thousand pins.

You can roll a hem on fabric cut with a catenary curve, or on the bias of the fabric.

You can cut the production time off your project by learning to use a rolled hem foot.

The trick is to use a strip of tissue paper beneath the fabric to provide traction between the feed dogs and the fabric, and to pre-fold and guide the fabric into the foot while sewing. If sewing a straight seam (not a zig-zag), the tissue paper will easily tear away when you are done sewing, and your seam will be straight and true.

If you are new to the rolled hem foot, I suggest you practice your skills on scrap fabric first, especially the same type of fabric that you will be using in your final project.

If you don't watch my video and instead just try to use a rolled hem foot like you would on a shirt tail, tablecloth or the hem of a napkin, than prepare to cry. But if you do master the rolled hem foot, prepare to be filled with lots of joy and a sense of craftsmanship and accomplishment. Prepare to show off your very thin, straight and gorgeous rolled hem to all your friends and relations. Also, all the time you save pinning your project could be instead spent enjoying your new hammock or tarp, or perhaps mixing a cocktail, or all of the above.

I am curious if anyone else has special tips and tricks on how to use a rolled hem foot on waterproof and other outdoor fabrics.

Good luck!
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Well done! Thank you for taking the time to show the different fabrics and how they behave.

I've used my rolled hem foot, and even gotten pretty good getting ripstop through it, but sometimes I'd have issues, and after watching your video, I realize what some of the problems came from. Excellent!

Yeah! Glad you posted this before I began working on my silnylon tarp!
    (Tissue paper, who knew?)

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Thank you! I have tried to use a rolled hem foot and gave up trying use it with these thin slippery fabrics. Your method of pinning the hem together under the foot then tucking the hem into the hook looks to be just the trick I need. I will have to try it out soon.

One question, how often are you replacing your needle when sewing with tissue paper? It seems like it would dull them quickly.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchaz View Post
    Thank you! I have tried to use a rolled hem foot and gave up trying use it with these thin slippery fabrics. Your method of pinning the hem together under the foot then tucking the hem into the hook looks to be just the trick I need. I will have to try it out soon.

One question, how often are you replacing your needle when sewing with tissue paper? It seems like it would dull them quickly.
    I'm using a ball point needle, which is not sharp to begin with.

If your needle dulls on you, you can easily refresh the point on a sharpening stone (the kind you use to sharpen knives) or on a smooth rock. I've sharpened pins and needles that way and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For me?!?!

I'm super duper excited

Watched first few minutes just now and will finish it tonight!!!

Your videos are by far the best I've seen for quality in DIY here

Few folks that jump in have a deeper background in sewing - I can tell you do however.

I call my aunt (a lifetime seamstress) about three times per week telling her what I am doing with questions and she usually gives me great incite!

Thanks for the video - I'll comment further after watching it and I'll be ordering one to try!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    This should be a sticky... thanks Jellyfish... I feel like I've been to school tonight....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

great tutorial jelly! as always!

quick Q: how does this technique change for concave catcuts? yours seemed to be a convex one.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
    great tutorial jelly! as always!

quick Q: how does this technique change for concave catcuts? yours seemed to be a convex one.
    You can sew a concave or a convex cat cut. Just roll your fabric over and ease it in. Since cat cuts are just about always bias, the stretch in the fabric actually helps.

I'm sewing a concave cat cut in the video. I should have spread the whole thing out. My sewing space is a disaster now. Fabric is everywhere and also sundials. I need to clear some room to spread stuff out.

I tried sewing a convex cat cut and it is a little more challenging to swing the fabric into the foot, but totally doable.

A rolled hem foot is often applied to curves in sewing clothes, like shirt hems. The foot is designed so thin to accommodate the curve, either concave or convex.

I would be worried about really short and deep cat cuts, or full circles in a small area, but I can't think of anyway that I would actually want to sew something like that.

I'll snap a few pics of the cat curves on my finished tarp to show how it looks on a finished piece. Stay tuned.

I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

How to sew a rolled hem with a *rolled hem foot* on outdoor fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    For me?!?!

I'm super duper excited

Watched first few minutes just now and will finish it tonight!!!

Your videos are by far the best I've seen for quality in DIY here

Few folks that jump in have a deeper background in sewing - I can tell you do however.

I call my aunt (a lifetime seamstress) about three times per week telling her what I am doing with questions and she usually gives me great incite!

Thanks for the video - I'll comment further after watching it and I'll be ordering one to try!

It is nice to see a community where people are so enthusiastic about sewing and making things. Kudos.

It is also really cool to have someone to call with sewing questions. That is awesome.

I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Wow. You pointed out ALL the troubles I've had. Will definitely give this another run, the correct way.

I can get a set of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" rolled hem feet (foots? ) for my machine. I presume they'd be used just the same as you've shown here? I like to use 1/2" hems for hammock edges.

Thanks for this jellyfish!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast