WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Follow up question:

Let us say I was doing a tarp, say a hex tarp with a cat cut...lets say you kinda flub a portion of it and it does not get tucked and sewn under the roll proper for a couple inches or even less.

How do you deal with that post hoc?
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I spoke with Nancy, our class coordinator. She was going to loan the class foot for me to try, but it's the wrong type connection for my machine. I'll bring my foot/machine in next week and she'll try it and see if she can figure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just a cranky foot. She also said I can use the serger machines if I want for small edges, and she'll show me how to do it.
    Awesome development!!!
    Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    Follow up question:

Let us say I was doing a tarp, say a hex tarp with a cat cut...lets say you kinda flub a portion of it and it does not get tucked and sewn under the roll proper for a couple inches or even less.

How do you deal with that post hoc?
    In that case, I would use a seam ripper to pick out the thread on the part you want to resew (because your stitches are long, that would be easy). If the resewn part is short, I would resew that part by rolling manually. If the part is long, I would use the foot.

You'll have to lock the seam for the part you are renewing as well as the good part of the seam. Sew right over the good part if the seam for 2 inches on each side, and lock with 4 or 5 stitches on each side. That should do you good.

I just sewed a winter tarp with cat cuts and had zero problems. Video of those long curved edges will be forthcoming.

I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ohhh ahhhh - want to see that end result!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    WOW !!

This should be a sticky.

I am in the final stages of my Membrane PU hex tarp and got the part about the tissue paper from another, much older post, but went with 1/2 inch rolled hem because I could not get anything thinner to work without binding up.

This instruction has given me the incentive to think about a winter tarp with doors to work on this summer using the narrow rolled hem foot

Jellyfish, you rock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

I'm SO getting a rolled hem foot

How do you, and I apologise if this has been answered previously, handle sharp corners when using a foot like this? Lock stitch and start over, or is there a way to coax the fabric to continue the rolled hem around the corner?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I bought a rolled hem foot a couple of years ago, got frustrated and returned it promptly. Now, I want to go buy another one! I just ordered my first DIY tarp kit to make for someone. I am kinda scared, but since watching this video, I feel a little more confident. Thank you so much for taking the time to make and share this!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    That's literally the only foot I don't have for my singer, and I've got 10 other feet though. After seeing this and how much of a pain catenary cuts where to sew, I'm buying one
    My friend owned a sewing machine repair shop for 15 years, I bet he's got a spare foot somewhere.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    I'm SO getting a rolled hem foot

How do you, and I apologise if this has been answered previously, handle sharp corners when using a foot like this? Lock stitch and start over, or is there a way to coax the fabric to continue the rolled hem around the corner?
    If you have a sharp corner, you'll want to end the seam, remove the fabric, and then start in the new direction just like normal. Outdoor fabrics shouldn't get too thick at the corner. I would be concerned if you were sewing denim or corduroy, but the fabric used to make hammocks or tarps should be okay on a corner.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I bought a rolled hem foot a couple of years ago, got frustrated and returned it promptly. Now, I want to go buy another one! I just ordered my first DIY tarp kit to make for someone. I am kinda scared, but since watching this video, I feel a little more confident. Thank you so much for taking the time to make and share this!
    In my experience sewing, if you have confidence and patience, you can master any challenge. Just practice a bunch on all the scraps you cut off your winter tarp. It should be great fun to finish all those rolled hems in short order and have them looking fabulous. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast