Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Wow. You pointed out ALL the troubles I've had. Will definitely give this another run, the correct way.

I can get a set of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" rolled hem feet (foots? ) for my machine. I presume they'd be used just the same as you've shown here? I like to use 1/2" hems for hammock edges.

Thanks for this jellyfish!
    Now I want a 1/2" foot. I suspect the principles are the same. Feeding the fabric through the foot may be a little more tricky, but I bet this would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch Netted Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Bot Pad, Top Quilt
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    Thanks Jellyfish. Love your videos. They are helping me out a lot with learning how to do this stuff.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Still have not found time to watch - but on my short list - I did my initial cuts for my inner and outer TQ shell tonight - and it begins

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Jellyfish, where have you been all my life? (or at least that part of my life a couple months ago when I was struggling with this very issue)
    See thread!

Interesting to know that the feed dogs may have actually been slipping in my case too -- the stitches were tiny in places, and then suddenly long. Out of control sewing indeed! I thought the feed dogs were too aggressive, pulling the bottom layer while the upper layers were dragging due to the pressure of the presser foot. (I still think the foot on my machine mashes down too hard...and it's not adjustable.)

I also see that you only need 1-2 reverse stitches to lock the seam. I was doing way too many, and going all the way to the edge of the fabric (and a little bit off the edge), which no doubt caused some of the puckering problems I had at the seam ends.

Also like your straightforward process for starting the rolled hem -- folding it and putting it under the foot first, locking in place by putting the needle down, then curling the fabric edge around into the guide. I was trying to put the fabric in the guide first.

Can't wait to try a couple practice hems, maybe a stuff sack, then DIY hammock V.2!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the video! It's very well done. I've had some success in the past with a rolled hem foot but eventually found it faster to do it by hand although it's not as pretty as with a foot.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I tried it last night, but after suffering with a screaming headache all day I wasn't in the best condition. I was only partially successful.

After raising the foot and pulling the pin out, I found it nearly impossible to (manually) get the fabric started into the foot curl. It's so darned tight, even with hyperd 1.0. I again watched your vid where you are showing/describing your foot. It's hard to tell for sure but it appears as though your foot has a lot more clearance in the curl than mine (Brother 7mm). Maybe it's just because I was watching the vid on 48 inches of monitors. After pulling the pin, I was only able to get the fabric correctly into the curl by pulling the foot off, wiggling the fabric through then carefully reattaching. The one good stretch I did get came out nearly perfect though.

I gave a couple more tries afterward, but it wasn't happening. I knew that I was not in the right frame of mind and becoming frustrated, so I packed it in. I then slipped into a CDT TQ and vegged to another episode of OA.

I'll watch the vid some more to see if I'm overlooking something. I'll try to do a closer comparison of the feet as well.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    WL UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    Jellyfish,
    Thanks for posting your video. I have watched all of your videos so far. You do a very professional presentation. Your videos are of very good quality, and you are very well spoken and your instructions are clear. I subscribed to your channel so that I can enjoy all your videos. I have a little portable machine down in the basement. I haven't touched it in years. I originally bought it to sew up goose decoys. The only thing I ever really made with it were a couple of nice camo denim covers for a couple of pirogues that I used for duck hunting. My wife always gave me the sewing duties when my daughters needed something. Trust me when I say that I am just a hack. I never had any idea of what I was doing. Watching your videos have been eye opening. I'm thinking about getting a portable work table and bringing the machine up out of the basement and trying to make something while I have some time off of work. You are a true seamstress. After seeing what some people are capable of and have been building on a hang I went out on, I think I'm starting to get motivated to try my hand at this DIY stuff. And one other thing... What software are you using to draw up your plans? I find them to be amazing and well done, too.
    Thanks for all your videos and ideas.

---Charlie

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Could you elaborate also on lock stitch? One forward and one back and that is it? Wow - that seems much easier?! Why is it all the DIY folks seem to do 5-10?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I tried it last night, but after suffering with a screaming headache all day I wasn't in the best condition. I was only partially successful.

After raising the foot and pulling the pin out, I found it nearly impossible to (manually) get the fabric started into the foot curl. It's so darned tight, even with hyperd 1.0. I again watched your vid where you are showing/describing your foot. It's hard to tell for sure but it appears as though your foot has a lot more clearance in the curl than mine (Brother 7mm). Maybe it's just because I was watching the vid on 48 inches of monitors. After pulling the pin, I was only able to get the fabric correctly into the curl by pulling the foot off, wiggling the fabric through then carefully reattaching. The one good stretch I did get came out nearly perfect though.

I gave a couple more tries afterward, but it wasn't happening. I knew that I was not in the right frame of mind and becoming frustrated, so I packed it in. I then slipped into a CDT TQ and vegged to another episode of OA.

I'll watch the vid some more to see if I'm overlooking something. I'll try to do a closer comparison of the feet as well.
    Are you having to take your foot off the machine to get the fabric through? You shouldn't have to do that.

Are you able to sew normal cotton broadcloth? Does it pinch in the foot when you sew broadcloth?

I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

How to sew a rolled hem with a *rolled hem foot* on outdoor fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
    Jellyfish,
    Thanks for posting your video. I have watched all of your videos so far. You do a very professional presentation. Your videos are of very good quality, and you are very well spoken and your instructions are clear. I subscribed to your channel so that I can enjoy all your videos. I have a little portable machine down in the basement. I haven't touched it in years. I originally bought it to sew up goose decoys. The only thing I ever really made with it were a couple of nice camo denim covers for a couple of pirogues that I used for duck hunting. My wife always gave me the sewing duties when my daughters needed something. Trust me when I say that I am just a hack. I never had any idea of what I was doing. Watching your videos have been eye opening. I'm thinking about getting a portable work table and bringing the machine up out of the basement and trying to make something while I have some time off of work. You are a true seamstress. After seeing what some people are capable of and have been building on a hang I went out on, I think I'm starting to get motivated to try my hand at this DIY stuff. And one other thing... What software are you using to draw up your plans? I find them to be amazing and well done, too.
    Thanks for all your videos and ideas.

---Charlie
    Your comments would make my grandma so happy. She started me sewing when I was just old enough to sit at a machine. She died a dozen years ago, but when I am sewing, she is with me.

It is very empowering to make things and it is also a very meditative. I love the sound that the machine makes, especially.

If things get frustrating, just walk away and come back later. It will be there waiting for you. Hahaha

I'm just drawing pictures in powerpoint. I have zero graphics skills.

I can't wait to hear what you decide to make.

Last edited by jellyfish; 01-04-2017 at 23:22.
    I sew things on youtube.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast