Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images

Blizzard, Mountain, Snowshoe's hardest 15 miles ever

2016122995093757-1.jpg20161229_122305.jpg20161230_161309-1.jpg20161229_113137.jpgA few weeks back I posted if anyone was interested in a 1 nighter to Stratton Pond Vt but no one was interested and I wasn't going to pass up this opportunity. I'm 62 and I don't know how long I will stay at this level of conditioning or have the desire to push myself. Fortunately the temps by Vt standards where mild, highs in the 20, low 15 ,snow and wind made for a challenging experience. I started hiking up about 9:30am with light snow no wind so I chose wool sweater, poly T shirt and a light Merino wool turtleneck. A base layer tight under a Sporthill Xcountry tight. Wool sox and Sorel pac boot. Wool cap, waterproof mitten shells over light gloves. Inside my ULA Circuit was HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ, Dutch Hexon1.0 net less hammock , WB Sock and a Mt Wilderness Silpoly Monster Fly. Also my boreal hoodie
    The trail had packed snow so I choose not to wear the snowshoe's after an ½ hour the snow got heavy the wind blew hard so I put on my Paka. It took me 3 hrs before I got to the top of Stratton Mt soaked with sweat and hungry. There was crazy winds and lunch wasn't pleasant even hunkered down in the pines. I brought my Grand Trunk micro stool so I wouldn't be sitting in the snow but it sunk into the snow. I planned a 20 min break but with the wind and being wet with sweat I was concerned with Hyperthermia so I ate while on the move. Going down to the pond was easier but it was snowing harder. The trail was steep and I was thinking it might be tough coming back up tomorrow snow covered and maybe I should stay on top. I decided to keep going and arrived at Stratton Pond a little before 4. Down at the pond the wind was light and setting up went as usual but dark came early due to the cloud cover. Changed out of my wet clothes and worked on building a fire. With vaseline covered cotton balls I was able to get enough fire to muster enough of a fire to melt snow. Dinner was Sardines, fig bars and hot apple cider. It was 7:00 I was getting chilled so I got in the hammock where I was the warmest I was all day. Watched a movie on the Kindle. This was the first time I brought the Kindle but I knew with the weather I wasn't sitting around a fire. I slept with the wet boot inserts from sweat, my water, cooking fuel, hat and gloves. At that point, there was 15 inches of snow and wind had blizzard conditions.
    About 1 am I woke from the wind blowing crazy and my tarp violently flapping but holding tight. Other than the wind and the flapping tarp the Sock kept me toasty. About 3 am I woke with snow on the Sock and the tarp line pulled out. Good time for a pee break, tie the line off and back in the cozy sock and hammock. Didn't sleep much and glad to see sun up, left my sleeping clothes on added outer layer top and bottoms and started breaking down. With snowshoes on I was going too have breakfast at the shelter just up the trail unfortunately the snow was deep and slow going and the shelter was off the trail but how far so I ate a pre made sandwich and keep going. It took me 4 hours getting to the top, and I'll tell you climbing a mountain wearing snowshoe's isn't fun. It's 2:00 I have 3 ½ miles to go still snowing strong winds and all down hill. By 3:00 I was tired moving slow had 1 1/2 miles left about an hour and mentioning to God that I don't want to spend the night out here. It was 4:15 when I got to my pick up with my wife waiting with hot coffee.
    This was the hardest 15 miles I have ever done, learned a lot about myself and have appreciation for Shug and others who share there experiences on videos so other's can safely enjoy deep winter backpacking. Thank you
    Last edited by OldNWay; 01-02-2017 at 17:23.
    OldnWay

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Great write up...thanks for sharing!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for sharing your trip.You are an inspiration to get out and do cold weather trips.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the hike. I can't imagine taking on that kind of mileage in the snow and with snow shoes on. Hopefully your rested up from the trip and thanks for sharing your beautiful hike with us.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow...good read!
    Yessir, controlling the sweat whilst snowshoeing is hard. That sweat will get you. You gotta do it to find out how tiring it is.
    Wish I had been out there with you.....sounds exciting.
    Whoooooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Great write-up! I wish I could had gone with ya but SoCal is bit far. Sounded pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rick...

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    So how does one control the sweat. I've found that I have to hike cool to cold to prevent it and then my head still sweats and I'm constantly taking my toboggin on and off.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    So how does one control the sweat. I've found that I have to hike cool to cold to prevent it and then my head still sweats and I'm constantly taking my toboggin on and off.
    You walk slow! It takes a mental effort for me to slow it down to non-sweating pace. I don't worry about my head sweat, it is the body, buttocks and back sweat that gets bad.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You walk slow! It takes a mental effort for me to slow it down to non-sweating pace. I don't worry about my head sweat, it is the body, buttocks and back sweat that gets bad.
    Thanks Shug. My nemesis, slowing down when I'm fresh.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Nice write up. Wish I could of made it. Live in Fairfield Vt. Never been to Stratton Pond. Lost my job so things have been a little hectic. Good thing for 20 years in the Navy. I'm almost in the same boat at 57. We just have to keep pushing. Take care.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast