DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah, for 20oz you're talking more like my 30° Phincubator! 18 to be exact.

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Yeah, I'm looking at the text he sent me with the stats, but I know 20 oz for that has to be wrong lol.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just took mine down close to 1° last week...slept for 11 hours straight! Not even a pee break, which is pretty unheard of. I tend to drink less in the cold so I was probably slightly dehydrated.

When I pack my 0° set, I put one in the included stuff sack, and one loose into the pack liner around the stuffed quilt. It's just too hard to manage that down bomb in a single pack liner.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I prefer loose packing my topquilt on the rare occasion I backpack (young kids have temporarily made me more of a car camper).
    Andy- if that sucker comes in at 20 ounces put it up for auction now!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking at the text he sent me with the stats, but I know 20 oz for that has to be wrong lol.
    For comparison, my 0deg Incubator, all Argon 67, 850 fp is 25.6oz on a really good scale. Stuffs down very nicely.

The shell material has more impact on 'compressibility' than the down being used, say between 850fp and 900fp. For example, using Argon 67 vs 90 will have significantly more effect than using 900fp vs 850fp.

I have an EE Enigma 30deg with 7D shell and 950fp and it smooshes down incredibly small.... best of both worlds!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For comparison, my 0deg Incubator, all Argon 67, 850 fp is 25.6oz on a really good scale. Stuffs down very nicely.

The shell material has more impact on 'compressibility' than the down being used, say between 850fp and 900fp. For example, using Argon 67 vs 90 will have significantly more effect than using 900fp vs 850fp.

I have an EE Enigma 30deg with 7D shell and 950fp and it smooshes down incredibly small.... best of both worlds!
    Pretty much out of curiosity I just picked up a used EE Long/Wide 30 degree and I can't believe how small it packs. It weighs in at about 16 ounces. Pretty sweet.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For sure! I remember buying a nice Marmot sleeping bag and there was a "waterproof" or at least resistant option. I figured sure why not. It was impossible to squeeze the air out and it was just heavier material overall. The only option was to use a compression sack, which I hate.

Hammock
    11 ft Netless w/sock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12ft
    Insulation
    HG 20 T/UQ
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I was definitely wrong, 29.2 ounces (scale shows weight with stuff sack and rubber band.) And I guess it either didn’t come with a stuff sack or he didn’t have it anymore. If I can’t squash it down nicely in my new Arc Haul I *might* try a compression bag.

Haven’t used it yet but I was planning on pairing it with my 20 HG top quilt. The trip this weekend will have lows in the humid low forties and I think the 0 degree would be overkill.

Would you look at that thing!? IMG_1253.jpgIMG_1250.jpgIt’s so stuffed it looks like it could be stood up on its end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Lol- that IS a monster, but you can always loosen it a bit to cool off. If it gets too cold for your gear that's when things turn ugly fast!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I see the wisdom in put quilts in a water proof sack (not a compression sack) and let the contents of the back pack squish it as much as needed and letting it conform to the space. However, if the quilt is in a water proof sack, from my experience they are generally also pretty much airtight. Won't you end up with a lot of trapped air, stopping the quilt in the bag from being able to be compressed as much as the situation would want?

I have a Sea to Summit eVac dry bag and and air can be squeezed out of the dry bag. But it's generally one way. Once the sack has been compressed it stays compressed, it doesn't refill with air when the pressure is removed. The other dry bags I have this doesn't really happen.

Do people normally leave the sack opened, put it in the backpack, cram everything on top, but with the opening of the stuff sack still accessible and open, so air can escape, and then seal the top of the sack?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast