JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Mont Rogers Winter Hang 2017

January 19-22, 2017
    Mt. Rogers - The First Official Cold Weather Group Hammock Hang For Hammock Forums. Celebrating Our 11th Year!

REGISTRATION HERE.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IdM/edit#gid=0
    Updates to come. Check back often.

The Mt. Rogers Winter Hang happens because people volunteer to do stuff and we look out for each other! It organizes itself on a Google Spreadsheet.
    Please register. It helps greatly with planning.

The sheet is set up so you can change your answers at any time if your plans change or if you need to add or delete information. It is more or less self-explanatory, but don’t hesitate to ask questions. Expect it to change substantially, so check back shortly before the hang.

Tickets to a gear raffle are sold and pay for the event. Bring cash to buy one ticket or more! $5 per ticket or 5 for $20
    Camping fees to park, Port a John & firewood are paid for by the raffle. If raffle fails to raise enough money, a small additional donation will be requested from group.
    Usually there are some donations to the raffle from our fine cottage vendors of hammocks & gear.
    Also some from the camping group will buy or donate lightly used gear.

Wonder what it's like to do a winter hang at Mt. Rogers?

Mt. Rogers can be an interesting place in winter! Over the last few years, she's given us some eventful times...to say the least. If you're looking for a challenge with a bit of a safety factor, pack your rig and join us Jan 21-24. You're guaranteed to leave with a story or two!

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Organizers: Hickery & slowhike.

829 Grayson Highland Lane, Mouth of Wilson, VA 24363
    The AT goes right through the park for fantastic day hiking or backpacking before or after the hang.

Date: January 19-22, 2017

Lat,Lon 36.63974,-81.487355.

Camping (hanging) is in the wooded area around the pavilion and the group camp site; same as last year.

No need to stop at the ranger station or pay a parking fee. They know we're coming!

Some more links:
    Park Information; http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...al_information
    More Information; http://www.sherpaguides.com/virginia...highlands.html
    Park Weather Forecast http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...n#.WGmcBRsrKUm
    Park Map and Trail Guide; http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...nhighlands.pdf
    Current Weather Conditions At GHSP; http://weather.graysonfriends.org/

Last Year (2016) the Mount Rogers Area got such a blizzard that our group went off to find others places to camp.
    Here is a Trip Report with some pictures from the year before (2015)... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...+rogers+winter

USE EXTREME CAUTION ON PARK ROADS - If weather is snowy or icy, please be extremely careful on park road. Often there will be ice on blind curves where water drains across road and then freezes. The park doesn't clear it. You don't see it until you are on it. Go slow, be safe. People behind you will appreciate your safe driving.

SCHEDULE of EVENTS – This hang is less structured than some others. Some people will post about hikes or backpacking on the AT for Thursday and Friday. Most will start arriving Friday afternoon through Saturday morning. Hikes will materialize for Saturday. Or you can hang at the pavilion. Saturday evening is potluck dinner and raffle. Bring some food or drink to share.
    Sunday morning people start packing to leave. Some plan to meet at the Log Cabin for breakfast/ lunch.

All meals are on-your-own except the Saturday Potluck Supper, but they have a communal feeling, as people cook around the group fire near the pavilion. A big tarp provides coverage for the fire pit area. In addition, it’s nice to have 3 or 4 tarps on the windward side of the pavilion. Sign-up on the Google Spreadsheet if you can bring one.

GENERAL INFORMATION
    Family-Friendly Event: We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly camping hang. As an advertised family friendly event, we ask all hangers to use appropriate language and actions in front of our young people. Kinda like Hammock Forums itself so not a big deal for our group.

The Winter Hang is a great way for beginners to try winter hanging. Your car is parked next to the hang spot so you can bring as much gear as you need to stay warm. There are experienced hangers who can show you how to improve your winter hang. Plus you will see all the latest and greatest equipment that winter hangers use.

Bathrooms, Showers, Water: None of these are supplied by the park except for water at the Park Office. Bring your water from home or get water at the park office. The campground water is turned off, and the bathrooms are closed for the winter.
    We will be renting a Port a John and have it close by.

Covered Pavilion: Yes! – it is used mostly for the raffle, though you can cook meals under the roof if you’re neat. (It’s warmer around the fire ring.)

Vendors Sales: People often ask if vendors will be selling at group hangs. The answer is no. The vendors have discussed this and say it's not something they want to do. You can see their hammock setups, tarps, quilts, etc. any time during the weekend and during the hammock tours. And the vendor donations make up a lot of the raffle prizes. There's no better place to see winter hammock gear.

ANSWERS TO FAQ
    * Contact info for the State Park available on-line at Grayson Highlands State Park.
    * Rangers can be reached at (276) 579-7092 for any questions we can't answer or found on-line.
    * We have confirmed the dates of 1/19 Thurs thru 1/22 Sunday.
    * The Port-a-John will be ordered & paid for in advance and placed near the camp store earlier in the week.
    * We will be working to have someone local deliver a load of firewood so all we have to do is pay when we get there.
    * Parking is available at the store and also near the permanent bathroom close to our hang sites and the fire ring.
    * No need to stop at the ranger station or pay a parking fee.
    * We can come as early as Thurs and leave Sunday afternoon.
    * Map of park and campground available on the park's website.

Many thanks to the people who make this happen. And to the people who attend who make it worth organizing. This is Hammock Forums' oldest winter hang!
    Last edited by slowhike; 01-02-2017 at 14:47.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I copy & pasted a google spread sheet after removing the old info but don't know how to change the dates at the top.
    Afraid I might make it disappear. So if someone could do that I would appreciate it.
    Thanks... Tim

Hammock
    Darien; BIAS XL; DIY Ariel bridge
    Tarp
    WB Superfly; DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I copy & pasted a google spread sheet after removing the old info but don't know how to change the dates at the top.
    Afraid I might make it disappear. So if someone could do that I would appreciate it.
    Thanks... Tim
    I created a different spreadsheet in the other thread you could use.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I'll see if I can come Tim. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    Very much looking forward to this one. I'll offer any assistance that I can. Tim, feel free to PM me if you need anything.

If anyone has gear needs, feel free to ask. I'm sure that folks (myself included) have extra to share for winter camping.

If there is enough interest, we could get a group together on Thursday late morning to hike up to the AT and do an overnighter, then hike back Friday and set up group camp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B_rizzle View Post
    I created a different spreadsheet in the other thread you could use.
    Thanks! I replaced mine with yours.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I'll see if I can come Tim. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Thanks Deb. You have been a great help in the planning of other hangs here!

Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    Very much looking forward to this one. I'll offer any assistance that I can. Tim, feel free to PM me if you need anything.

If anyone has gear needs, feel free to ask. I'm sure that folks (myself included) have extra to share for winter camping.

If there is enough interest, we could get a group together on Thursday late morning to hike up to the AT and do an overnighter, then hike back Friday and set up group camp.
    Glad you'll be taking part Jim.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Big thanks to Slowhike for the kickoff information . I'll add a few more things when I get off the tiny phone. Looking forward to seeing old friends and some new faces.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I sent a PM to all those who expressed interest on the original thread asking about this hang.
    If you know anyone that might be interested drop them a link.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hickery will be bringing a load of firewood in his truck. It may or may not be enough.
    If anyone else can bring some, that would be great.
    Please avoid bringing firewood from areas were the Emerald Ash Borer has be found.
    http://emeraldashborer.info/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast