Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images

Hammock tie/guy placement.....

Hello all and Happy New Year! Next DIY hammock is going to be with an integrated bugnet. Need some guidance on the placement of the tie outs. Going to do 2 per side for a multi person use, lay either way. Is there a general measurement or should I reference to head/foot lay in hammock? Thx
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrm611 View Post
    Hello all and Happy New Year! Next DIY hammock is going to be with an integrated bugnet. Need some guidance on the placement of the tie outs. Going to do 2 per side for a multi person use, lay either way. Is there a general measurement or should I reference to head/foot lay in hammock? Thx
    I always put four side tie-outs on every gathered-end hammock I make, with or without a bug net, because they serve myriad purposes.

I have had good luck placing the side tie-outs such that they divide the hammock into approximately even thirds, i.e., 22.5" to 24" to either side of the midpoint of each long edge on a hammock that will finish out at 11 feet in length. This is pretty close to what Jared at Simply Light Designs does on his awesome Trail Lair netted hammock, and it's probably not far off from the placement on asymmetrical Dream Hammock models.

FWIW, if you're going to put an integrated net on your hammock and want to allow for lay in either direction, you may want to look into shaping the net as hexagon (6 sides), as opposed to a parallelogram (4 sides, a la Hennessy, Dream Hammock, Xtrekker, which prescribes the lay direction); with a hex-shaped net (again, inspired by the SLD Trail Lair), the four lateral corners coincide with the four side tie-outs...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-Net-Hammock

HTH...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-01-2017 at 13:54.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    [QUOTE=kitsapcowboy;1722115]
    I have had good luck placing the side tie-outs such that they divide the hammock into approximately even thirds, i.e., 22.5" to 24" to either side of the midpoint of each long edge on a hammock that will finish out at 11 feet in length. This is pretty close to what Jared at Simply Light Designs does on his awesome Trail Lair netted hammock, and it's probably not far off from the placement on asymmetrical Dream Hammock models.

FWIW, if you're going to put an integrated net on your hammock and want to allow for lay in either direction, you may want to look into shaping the net as hexagon (6 sides), as opposed to a parallelogram (4 sides, a la Hennessy, Dream Hammock, Xtrekker, which prescribes the lay direction); with a hex-shaped net (again, inspired by the SLD Trail Lair), the four lateral corners coincide with the four side tie-outs...=QUOTE]

Thanks for the info kistapcowboy. Jared's hammocks are what spark my interest, and the fact he is just over the "hill" from me. One question tho, do you pin up bug net for fit or just cut it based on the hexagonal measurements? Nice work by the way!
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like them at me shoulder and feet. So I lay in the hammock and mark them.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrm611 View Post
    ...One question tho, do you pin up bug net for fit or just cut it based on the hexagonal measurements? Nice work by the way!
    I always do the math for the shape of my bug nets and top covers, regardless of whether it will be a parallelogram (for dedicated lay in one direction) or a hexagon (for your choice of lay in either direction). You know the ridge line length, and you know the length of the hammock body. By noting the position of the tie-out along the edge of the hammock you can compute the distance from that tie-out to either end at the ridge line when the tie-out is drawn tight; with those two distances you can use the Law of Cosines to determine the angles present in a triangle with sides in that ratio, which, in turn, is one half of a parallelogram, your target net shape.

A hex-shaped net can be derived in similar fashion using a simple right triangle calculation; usually you are constrained by the width of the mesh fabric which will be folded over the ridge line, so half the width (less some allowance) becomes one leg of your end triangle calculation.

Here are some links to some handy online calculators into which you can plug your hammock measurements to derive the net shape...

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...e-theorems.php
    http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calcul...allelogram.php
    http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calrtri.htm

HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-01-2017 at 19:30.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Thanks for the guidance, will give a go once I get my supplies!
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

• + New Posts