Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock
    Thanks Peppy for starting this thread and summing up what you've learned. (It took me a minute to figure out that GE 11' is 'gathered end')
    I've learned some important things here, and stumbled on something I'd forgotten I already knew: always have a Mayan hanging in the house.
    But the most important things I've learned are: 1. I don't need to reinvent the wheel with some new hammock design. (none of my new ideas seem to be new) and 2. make sure any hammock I do make is at least 11' long. 3. While it's obvious that we all like what works best for us, it seems that most of us only buy one or two hammocks after we find one we really like. It's like the directions, "When you get to the lake, you've gone too far, turn around-- it'll be the second path on your left." but some of us just have to try everything...which is terrific when they share what they've learned.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    My favorite right now is the Sierra madre research Pares. Might be a little too stretchy for some, but it feels like a cloud to me. They’re underrated imho. I have a chameleon on the way, should be here next week, so it might very well become my new favorite. I will always keep my pares though, just so awesome for sleeping/napping. Maybe I’ll hang some hooks in my office so I can take a little siesta during lunch breaks.
    Last edited by Beckerbrain; 03-04-2018 at 00:27.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    There is just something about my SLD Trail Lair. Its a little heavier than all my others(except DL XLC). It also hangs higher and sags lower, requiring a tarp that provides more coverage, meaning even more weight. But, since I've had it, its the only one that goes out. Period. Thank you Jared, love my Trail Lair!

I just asked the same question and lots of members suggested me to go with Gathered End Hammock as I'm quite new in this thing...
    So I would go with others suggestion but let me know your thread was way more active and old you might have gotten great suggestions as well let me know which one you found most comfotable?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I've stated this before, but I've found I can be comfortable in just about any decent hammock. I prefer an 11' hammock, and just a touch of extra width (I like 62"). Anything shorter messes up the flat lay and so I just stick with them. As far as bridges, I've tried several and love my Towns-End medium bridges from JustBill. Once you learn a few trick, you can make lots of stuff work. HYOH for sure, but I suggest stay with the cottage vendors for the customer service and unsurpassed quality.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer and others
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a couple setups, I think each gas its own advantage. And it varies from day to day for me... comfort... they all beat driving a Truck!

Sheltowee Arch zip.... l like this hammock very much, this hammock uses tie outs sewn in with the bug net, the extra bug has been reinforced with gross grain webbing.

When the tie outs are in effect or being used, well all the time for that matter, this has very little effect with the hammock body at all, the hammock body remains in a neutral hang.

With the activation with all four tie outs gives to a spacious hammock, this hammock was appealing in the hotter weather and the hammock itself truly is very comfy. This was set up with a 40* Wooki, now about ready to set up with a 20* Wooki and taking the Arch zip through its first winter.

Check out the Arch zip with Alex at Sheltowee hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TnFrosty View Post
    I've had a DH Darien, 2nd gen WBBB XLC SL and a SLD Trail Lair. The Trail Lair is the only one in my arsenal now as I found it to be the most comfortable to me.
    From How much you are stucked with this hammock? and which was your previous Hammock? :O
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameth View Post
    There is just something about my SLD Trail Lair. Its a little heavier than all my others(except DL XLC). It also hangs higher and sags lower, requiring a tarp that provides more coverage, meaning even more weight. But, since I've had it, its the only one that goes out. Period. Thank you Jared, love my Trail Lair!
    I'm considering the Trail Lair for my next hammock. I have a few questions if ya don't mind.

1. Why is it more comfortable to you than the BB XLC?
    2. Any idea if something like a Thunderfly would properly cover it?
    3. Can the bugnet be left behind entirely, and replaced by the wind cover?
    4. Can you easily go without the tie-outs, or do they make a huge difference? And can you use them with an underquilt?

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    I'm considering the Trail Lair for my next hammock. I have a few questions if ya don't mind.

1. Why is it more comfortable to you than the BB XLC?
    2. Any idea if something like a Thunderfly would properly cover it?
    3. Can the bugnet be left behind entirely, and replaced by the wind cover?
    4. Can you easily go without the tie-outs, or do they make a huge difference? And can you use them with an underquilt?
    1. I'm not sure why, it may be the cut in the hammock body. But, in all fairness/honesty I've only had the XLC about a month and slept in it 5 nights.1st two test nights couldn't get comfy so I went inside. The following wknd I tried raising the foot end the(up to) 18in Brandon suggests and instantly found the sweet spot. Brought it down to my folks place in country and tried the foot end at just about a foot higher and had to get out and adjust it higher.

2. Not sure about the Thunderfly protecting your gear, but I know it would keep YOU dry. With the Minifly I got splashback on my HG Phoenix, but HG uses quality down and water resistant fabrics. All had to do is wipe the splatter off and was good to go. I'd watch Shug's comparing both and Tim Watson's Minifly YouTube video. I'm also considering the new WB Mountainfly.

3. No, the bugnet cannot be completely detached from the body. However, it can be completely unzipped and Jared attaches a mesh sack at the head of the hammock to stuff it in. No you cannot use just the windshield only. Jared uses a double zipper method to attach over the bugnet. I will tell you this, it breathes phenomenally well. I slept right next to the Chattooga River, at 25* with no condensation whatsoever. Checkout ShortRounds video here on the Forums.

4. Yes, I don't even use the tie-outs. I will get UQ hooks next time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast