Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If ya like the trail lair you owe it to yourselves to try a Streamliner.....

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My new DH Darien in 1.2oz robic-xl is my most comfortable hammock. Very pleased with my purchase.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Well, since this thread keeps resurfacing, and opinions change over time...

My new favs are a Town's End Happy Medium bridge in SL robic hybrid 1.2, and a DIY 11'x62" netless GE in robic hybrid 1.7.

Been using the Happy Medium nightly indoors for about a month now. I eventually found that the RR had squeezed and rolled my locked shoulders forward, so I let it go. The much larger Towns End is a blessing. I sleep with my shoulders under the spreader bar for absolute minimal squeeze. This is actually my fourth TE bridge, having also had a medium in hyperD1.6, a big boy in DL robic 1.7 and a Lux in SL robic 1.7. I'm a much smaller/lighter person than these bridges were originally intended for, so the 1.2 is proving to be the holy grail for me.

The DIY 1.7 GE is my go-to. Whenever some or all of my old injuries start to haunt me and I can't quite get comfortable, this hammock is the one that helps to alleviate the agony. I like it so much I even cloned a chameleon with the same fabric (a tip of the hat to kitsapcowboy for the hem pointers!). This clone is my outdoors hammock, primarily for car camping and backyard. It's 11'x61" at the zippers. I'm going to make another clone but with robic 1.2 for backpacking.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I started this thread over a year ago, and what a year it’s been. I’ve had the opportunity to sleep, camp, carry, lounge, and relax in a TON of different gear. My Eno’s are long gone but gave me a start. Here’s a list of the Hammocks I’ve tried. Still have some, moved others down the line.
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Dutchware Half-Zipped
    Eno DN
    Grand Trunk Double
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Town—End Happy Medium
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    For the most part, I have no regrets. I’ve learned that I can be comfortable in just about any Hammock, but prefer an 11’ GE or a Bridge. I’ve learned that I don’t mind cold weather camping. That my wife and kids enjoy hanging. That my grandson can keep up with the big guys. That cottage Gear is top notch. That going cheap can be the worst mistake you make. CBS is real. Mosquitos can bite through Hammock material. You don’t have to bring everything. Maybe most of all, I’ve learned that time Outdoors, on the trail, is time well spent and creation is worth the effort and adventure!

Like when you are looking for something ..... You always find it in the last place you look. If you find it you (usually) quit looking.

I have been the most comfortable in a RR hammock lately.
    I am 5' 10 1/2" 205.
    I keep trying the GE because I believe most of you and think there must be something I can do to improve it.
    Someone here said it is not rocket science, but there are proper techniques to hanging. So, I keep trying.
    I wish to look at a JRB BMBH & one of Bill's hammocks someday at a hang.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I started this thread over a year ago, and what a year it’s been. I’ve had the opportunity to sleep, camp, carry, lounge, and relax in a TON of different gear. My Eno’s are long gone but gave me a start. Here’s a list of the Hammocks I’ve tried. Still have some, moved others down the line.
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Dutchware Half-Zipped
    Eno DN
    Grand Trunk Double
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Town—End Happy Medium
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    For the most part, I have no regrets. I’ve learned that I can be comfortable in just about any Hammock, but prefer an 11’ GE or a Bridge. I’ve learned that I don’t mind cold weather camping. That my wife and kids enjoy hanging. That my grandson can keep up with the big guys. That cottage Gear is top notch. That going cheap can be the worst mistake you make. CBS is real. Mosquitos can bite through Hammock material. You don’t have to bring everything. Maybe most of all, I’ve learned that time Outdoors, on the trail, is time well spent and creation is worth the effort and adventure!
    You missed one, Peppy, your Dream Hammock Darien!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Dream Hammock Freebird
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Dutchware Half-Zipped
    Eno DN
    Grand Trunk Double
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Town—End Happy Medium
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    All those hammocks and nary a 90 degree hammock in the lot, tsk tsk. How sad

When you get around to it I'd suggest giving a Amok Draumr a go. My go to and most comfortable hammock is my Hammocktent Gamma UL version 2.0 (previously had a 1.0), but I from what I've seen it wouldn't necessarily be the 90 for you to try as it is primarily an UL backpacking hammock with weight and height limitations. But the Draumr would be more of a heavy duty 90.

As a full time hanger I have been swapping between my Exped Ergo and DH Raven, and saving my Gamma UL for summer backpacking.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    You missed one, Peppy, your Dream Hammock Darien!
    Yes I did! Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    I'm absolutely loving my DIY 1.2 Robic with Chameleon bug net. My first hammock was a DIY symmetrical with hyperd 1.6 and I find this new hammock substantially more comfortable (for me).

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock

Home hammock fabric

Quote Originally Posted by intosite View Post
    Just wondering, what kind of fabrics can i use? I'm looking to make one for more permanent home sleeping. So weight is not an issue. Currently i have a 1.7oz robic XL made for camping. Also I've import ripstop nylon, so they are pretty pricey. I'm wondering what other fabrics I can make use of?

Cheers
    Hi intosite,
    For home sleeping you certainly don't need to use ripstop. That's for lightweight back packing. The other part of this whole 'most comfortable hammock' is 'What is the most comfortable hammock you are willing to carry on your back for many miles?'
    More than a few people mentioned Mayan hammocks. I have heard for many years that the Mayan hammocks are really really comfortable and they seem to be fairly inexpensive (but you'd have to import it). Also because Singapore is very hot (even with air conditioning) I think this is where I'd start. I found them on Amazon for $59 US.
    (I owe you dinner for your question. Yes, I do remember Mayan hammocks from when I was in college. I just ordered one on Amazon. They're terrific and comfortable.)
    I've already got hooks into wooden studs in my walls. Singapore is mostly apartments, most modern interior construction is metal studs, so be careful hanging it. Maybe slip the repair-guy in your building a few bucks. The force on each suspension line is roughly equal to your weight. The force trying to pull the hook straight out of the wall is about 80% of your weight. This is on each side. Here's the link to the one I ordered:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hammocks-Rada...=mayan+hammock

Hope this helps.
    Will

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast