HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    So far the most comfortable for me is my current main hammock, my WBBBXLC 1.7 SL. I'm 5'7 165 so I get the perfect amount of give in the material and support at the same time. I've had a HH expedition and it was OK, but I felt really closed in with the heavy 30d netting and dark typhoon fly. It was comfortable, but not as "stretchy" as the XLC is BC of the material HH uses. Before that, I used, and still do sometimes at home, a cheap Walmart Equip mosquito net hammock. I added asym side pull outs and that helped make the hammock feel a little bigger since it was on the short side. My first hammock was an Equip single travle hammock. It was even shorter than the Mossie net one, but I really didn't know any better at the time as I was just starting to get into it. I even diy'd a bug net out of fiberglass window screen material to keep the nasties out lol. But overall, my XLC is Tue best for me, well right now anyway lol. Ask anyone on here and they'll tell you how quick your tastes can change when it comes to hammocks and buying gear for them lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I've had the original Blackbird for about 8 years now. It is still more comfortable than any bed I've ever slept in (that may change when I eventually replace my Sealy with a Purple mattress). YMMV

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    For sheer comfort apart from any practical considerations like warmth or durability, open-weave Mayan hammocks are best. Think fine springy cotton mesh. They're like floating in an isolation tank. They aren't durable or particularly friendly to various insulation schemes though. Next are South-American cotton canvas hammocks, as big as you need. My regular bed for over 3 years is a Colombian cotton canvas gathered-end hammock with the same overall dimensions as a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. It's hung from joists with porch-swing springs, so floaty-bouncy, with UQ. I just don't see how any light synthetic camping hammock can compete in comfort with stout soft cotton.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    The problem is, at least for me, I keep evolving. Started with ENO, went to Hennessy, then Green Hornet, loved it. Tried the Bear Mountain (too tight on my shoulder). Bought a T. Bird, I coyld not exit on my own. Next I bought a RR, I did not like the net (discovered I am claustrophobic). Now I have a netless RR, works well if there is a lot of room to hang. I have a Simply Light emergency hammock I dearly love. My Black Bird is nice. I seem to be happiest with minimal hammocks.

Also the direction of lay with gathered end hammocks. It took a while for me to learn I am a Left Lay person. My feet to the left, head to the right. Now my BB and T.Bird are left lay.

So many choices because we Hangers are evolving. Body size is also a factor.
    Try before you buy, even then you are likely to change your want with experience.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 01-01-2017 at 05:36.

Hammock
    DIY Shortened Ariel Bridge
    Tarp
    Vented Half-Sock
    Insulation
    DIY synth UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slap straps
    Images
    I started hanging in a gathered end hammock and have tried a few different styles since then. To date my most comfortable hammock is my DIY Grizz Ariel inspired hammock made from 2.4oz hexon. It is a very comfortable material against the skin with little to no stretch. One big advantage I've found with DIY a hammock is you can take peoples ideas then mold them into a design that fits with your particular sleeping/hang style.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    WBRR.

Compard to a GE; less shoulder squeeze, less side pressure on my ankles, less cushion needed under my knees to prevent the sensation of hyper-extension.

The downside is that it's not practical for double hanging under a single tarp. Also, Mrs Sqid prefers the feeling of being "inside" her GE rather than "on top" of the RR. We haven't tried one yet, but she might actually prefer the BMBH.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I've tried several hammocks from quite a few makers now and so far, the warbonnet RR and my Dream Hammock sparrow are most comfy for me. The RR lies so flat and has a great bug net it's great to sleep in, but being narrow means less versatility in how I can flop around in it. My sparrow is pretty wide with the fabrics i chose and I can flip and flop around in it like a fish out of water if I want. I give my sparrow a 10 and the RR a 9.999. Figuring out which one I want to take on a trip is often the hardest and longest decision I have to make. lol
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You are going to get as many different answers to this question as there are members on this forum and all of them will be correct for that person.

My suggestion to you is to find a hang event close to you, attend it even if only for the day. Most of the forum members will let you check out their gear and from there you can make a much more educated decision than by asking folks what is "comfortable" to them because that is going to be different for each person.

Personally I have the following hammocks and they are all comfortable.

1) Hennessy Explorer
    2) Hennessy Expedition
    3) DIY Table cloth 11'
    4) DIY table cloth 12'
    5) Dutch 10'
    6) Dutch 11'

So your question has no real answer expect to the person answering it.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I have bought and sold a whole bunch of hammocks over the years. All brands, sizes, and styles. I now have 2 that are keepers. The one thing that I learned in all my experimenting was that I prefer a wider hammock.

I still have my original Trek Light double hammock that got me started in hammocks & led me to discover Hammock Forum. It's 10 ft. X 72 wide. I added my own knotty mods.

My main use hammock is my Hammeck Breezy - 11 ft X 62 wide.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    WBRR
    It's kind of irrelevant statistically because everyone haven't tried all the hammock options available. If we could string up every hammock available on the market and let everyone try them out...then WBRR would emerge as the winner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast