Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A buddy who does drywall work calls it the "white death". Handling down is similar for many folks. This method is brilliant, making maximum use of down with minimal fuss and handling.

I'm curious though, why leave 3 rows un-ripped (as full boxes) only to later rip the remaining seams and extend the length-wise tubes?
    TQinstructions.png

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    A buddy who does drywall work calls it the "white death". Handling down is similar for many folks. This method is brilliant, making maximum use of down with minimal fuss and handling.
    Yeah I had a small "burp" of down from the footbox cap from where stitching came loose and it blew around the room like smoke.

I'm curious though, why leave 3 rows un-ripped (as full boxes) only to later rip the remaining seams and extend the length-wise tubes?
    Short answer is because it made sense when I did it. However on further consideration it helped keep down evenly divided when I cut off the 3x3 piece for the footbox cap from the side piece. Here's a better picture of where all the down gets concentrated (lighter areas are what get cut off):
    cdt.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Couple more pics of it in use while I attempted to fit the first layer of the UQ (but that will get it's own post when it's done). The occupant fell asleep and wasn't flattered by the pic hence the edit.
    2016-12-31_15.17.05[1].jpg
    2016-12-31_15.17.59[1].jpg

jabraso: First off, I want to thank you for posting such thoughtful and thoroughly detailed instructions, diagrams, and photos on this project.

Long prelude to question: I'm a MYOG/sewing novice who is too poor/cheap to spend money on an expensive quilt/sleeping bag to replace my heavier down sleeping bag, and have pretty much decided a costco down throw (CDT) modification is pretty much the only affordable option of getting my sleep system ultralight on a budget. Your posts this thread have given me some encouragement. My base weight with heavy backpack+sleeping bag+bear canister currently at about 18 lbs, and 44 ounces of that is my sleeping bag. I'm planning to do either: 1. a similar build, but with additional seam ripping of half (every other) of the vertical stitching to allow for double-wide tubes in addition to overstuffing from a second bag (allowing for greater loft), or 2. do something in the ballpark of this build, but stacking 2 bags horizontally (rather than stacking vertical tubes at the top) for even greater width and then again rip half the stitches for double wide tubes. I would be more inclined to do #2 if I decided to try to enact faux baffles, as I believe that will significantly reduce the width (if baffles/tubes run down). [6 stitch lines x 2 x however many inches deep the faux baffle].

Question: Plan is to make this a 30-40 degree quilt for spring/summer hike in sierras, not a 20 degree bag, so I wonder if the breathability of baffle-less tubes and sewn-through stitches might be a benefit. With that regard, have you had a chance to test your bag in current cold weather conditions? If so, what temperature did you feel it was comfortable in?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    jabraso: First off, I want to thank you for posting such thoughtful and thoroughly detailed instructions, diagrams, and photos on this project.
    I'm glad it helps. I like that we can take bits and pieces of other people's creations and assemble them to suit our own creations. I post to do my part and hope it helps someone. I'd be flattered if someone were to copy my projects, but I am content to simply seed other people's inovation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Question: Plan is to make this a 30-40 degree quilt for spring/summer hike in sierras, not a 20 degree bag, so I wonder if the breathability of baffle-less tubes and sewn-through stitches might be a benefit. With that regard, have you had a chance to test your bag in current cold weather conditions? If so, what temperature did you feel it was comfortable in?
    I have not tested outside yet. Its most rigorous test has been to help me stay warm watching a movie on the couch, and it over performed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12