Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

New Winter Dream - Should I be concerned?

Hey all,

I just got a new sil-poly, 11-ft Winter dream for Christmas. It is sharp. I spent a couple of days seam sealing the pull-outs and cutting line and shock cord for the doors, etc... I finally put it up today to try all of the configurations. After it was strung up, I went under it and noticed some light shining through it in several small places near the ridgeline. The tarp is dark olive, the spots were pretty noticeable. It looks like a portion of threadbare cloth, like on an old pair of jeans. I ran my finger along it it and it doesn't feel like a hole. I can't feel any difference between it and the fabric next to it, like you would on a threadbare spot, but it is troubling. Could it be just a small place where the dye didn't take for some reason? If it is truly a thin or worn spot in the fabric, it looks like a certain leak. I would hate to send it back after all of my seam sealing work, but I also don't want my brand new tarp to fail on my first trip. Here are three photos. I would appreciate any input. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "Should I be concerned?"

Yes. That is not right, and I would have a hard time just leaving it as is.

I will be interested to hear other HF members' responses as far as an explanation, but it will need to be replaced entirely I suspect.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It looks kinda like something drug along it that was abrasive as the ridgeline was sewn? No idea...but the integrity of the ridgeline is "clearly" compromised.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Bummer! Unfortunately I couldn't ignore that. I have nothing like that even after using my tarp (different type) for 5 years. As you continue to pull it tight over and over, who knows what will happen? Just my opinion; I'm not an expert by any means.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

New Winter Dream - Should I be concerned?

I'm willing to bet that UGQ will square you away with a new tarp and seam seal it for you as well. Unfortunately that will mean more waiting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for the responses. You all have confirmed my thoughts. It may be nothing, but I don't think I could stand looking at it and wondering, especially with a brand new tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    It looks kinda like something drug along it that was abrasive as the ridgeline was sewn? No idea...but the integrity of the ridgeline is "clearly" compromised.
    I agree. I went back out with my glasses on and looked more closely. The first one is slightly bigger, and it looks like something on the sewing machine might have snagged and then bounced along, making the other four marks. I will email Paul and ask what he thinks. Thanks again.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    No doubt that Paul will make this right and as far as the wait goes i would not worry about it, for things like this i'm sure they will stop and remake you a new one asap, even when we ordered the wrong color quilt and returned it we recieved a new one in less than a week even thought the order status page was around 2 foot long with orders.
    They dont mess around when it comes to customer service,,,Pick up your phone and call them! ,the'll take care of you!!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Hey all,

I just got a new sil-poly, 11-ft Winter dream for Christmas. It is sharp. I spent a couple of days seam sealing the pull-outs and cutting line and shock cord for the doors, etc... I finally put it up today to try all of the configurations. After it was strung up, I went under it and noticed some light shining through it in several small places near the ridgeline. The tarp is dark olive, the spots were pretty noticeable. It looks like a portion of threadbare cloth, like on an old pair of jeans. I ran my finger along it it and it doesn't feel like a hole. I can't feel any difference between it and the fabric next to it, like you would on a threadbare spot, but it is troubling. Could it be just a small place where the dye didn't take for some reason? If it is truly a thin or worn spot in the fabric, it looks like a certain leak. I would hate to send it back after all of my seam sealing work, but I also don't want my brand new tarp to fail on my first trip. Here are three photos. I would appreciate any input. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg
    I would say that looking at the pictures that clearly this is my mistake and somehow didn't see this while sewing it together. I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and if you would send me a PM we will get this resolved for you very quickly! I will get this remade for you this weekend..seam sealed and shipped by Tuesday. Again I do apologize.
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy Lou View Post
    I would say that looking at the pictures that clearly this is my mistake and somehow didn't see this while sewing it together. I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and if you would send me a PM we will get this resolved for you very quickly! I will get this remade for you this weekend..seam sealed and shipped by Tuesday. Again I do apologize.
    Typical of UGQ's great service. Unfortunately these things can happen once in long while. It's how they deal with it that shows you what kind of people they are. Sorry you have to go through this but they'll make it right for you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow - excellent service - please report back on follow through.

If you can sew and they let you keep it - you can re do the sewing on that ridgeline and have another tarp with a bit shorter width?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast