Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wouldn't trust EMT unless you use something over 1" maybe. Even then EMT is far too soft and can be bent easily under stress. My stand which I've used for 7 plus years is made of 3/4" GRC(rigid). The top rail is 12' with a coupling in the center and there is very little flex at all. I weight 190-200lbs. You may be ok with 1/2" GRC although I'd suggest moving up to 3/4".

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest Deluxe
    Insulation
    na. yet.
    Suspension
    webbing, rings

1/2 in. Rigid conduit

I was at the big box store reached into the 3/4 in rigid conduit bin, pulled out a length and took it home. Oops it turned out to be 1 in. grc rigid so I'll be using that instead of 3/4 in.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Wow...that's an itty-bitty hammock in your video, or you're about 8' tall. When you get right down to it the legs only have to carry the weight of your body and the stand itself, divided by the number of legs. So, that small EMT is really only maybe supporting 45lbs each. That's more than doable. However, the ridgepole is under a pretty tremendous strain, depending on your hang angle. Good job on the stand!!
    Yea no kidding. That hammock is a Fivejoy from Amazon and it was the hammock that set the hook on a whole new hobby. Believe that one measures in at 102X54. Itty-bitty to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I tried it with conduit and ended up ripping holes in my hammock and uQ when it broke. Also hit my head. Could have stabbed myself when the conduit gave way. Very dangerous.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Maybe this will work for you. It is a lot less to carry, if that is a concern.

I use 2 pieces of 6 or 7 foot round wood dowel. I'd guess it is about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" round. It is used for closet rods to hang coat hangers on. But you could use anything similar. I set the poles the distance I want in order to hang the hammock. Then a ridge line is attached between the post using marlin spikes. Lean each post away from each other about 60 degrees and attach 3 anchor lines on each post. 1 straight off the back and the other 2 at offset angles. I use 12" galvanized nails to anchor the lines. 1 nail on each offset line is sufficient since they mainly serve to keep the poles erect. The main line does most of the work. For the main line I use 5 spikes. Take a piece of strong cord and make a loop in the middle. Then make loops on each end. And finally put 2 loops (1 on each side) in between the middle and center loops. Then set spikes in the ground though each loop at angles about 60 degrees away from the pole in the form of a "V". I've used this method on many occasions and it has never failed me once. It did take a while before I became confident, though. :<)

One thing that may hinder this setup for you is the space required to stretch out the lines that support the poles. The longer out they stretch, the more supportive they will be. I'd think you'd need at least 8 or 10 feet beyond each post.

NOTE:
    I've used this a lot when I have only 1 good tree. Attach the belt to the tree and use a single post setup on the other end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12