Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC

Ordering My First Quilt and Have Some Questions

Hello all,

I am new to hammock camping, and I have purchased a Warbonnet XLC double layer. I also purchased a Gossamer Gear hammock pad, but don't have an underquilt or top quilt yet.

I want to buy both of those, but need some guidance.

Should I just go ahead and buy a winter Wooki for WB? The only thing that's stopping me is that I am concerned that I might get too hot in the spring/summer/fall.

I'm looking for the ability to backpack year round, but my first trips will probably be in February at the earliest. Are there any other good options that someone can recommend me?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    If you're looking to backpack year round then you probably won't want to carry the bulk and weight of a winter quilt set in the warmer months.

Thus, you may want a 3-season set and a winter set. Sit down and really think about what temps you will encounter in the areas you backpack. Then buy appropriate coverage.

Images
    Hi Frank welcome to the forums. Unfortunately there is no one quilt set that works in all 4 seasons. Winter quilts are just too heavy, bulky and hot for anything but winter time hanging.
    For your first set of quilts I would recommend a set of 20F full length.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Thanks, OutandBack. So is there a big difference between WB's quilts and what I have seen other places? I'm thinking about the EE Revelation, but brand loyalty is a thing for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankGarrett View Post
    Thanks, OutandBack. So is there a big difference between WB's quilts and what I have seen other places? I'm thinking about the EE Revelation, but brand loyalty is a thing for me.
    Tough call. Everyone has their favorite cottage vendors here. I have owned most of them and to be honest they are all great. I know that does not help much.

Winter quilts was the last thing I purchased. Before that I would stack my Fall/Spring 20's with a 40F summer 3/4.

10985784495_b28ba3ac00_o.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    So would you recommend getting an underquilt first or a top quilt first?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I'd buy both together unless you like sleeping on a pad or using an existing sleeping bag for top. It's hard to say without knowing what your existing gear is.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankGarrett View Post
    So would you recommend getting an underquilt first or a top quilt first?
    If you can only get one right now, I'd recommend getting an underquilt first. You can use a sleeping bag as your top insulation.

And if you can only get one right now I'd recommend a 3 season 20* Wooki, HG Incubator, or UGQ Zeppelin. You're going to be in the $250-300 range for these. Arrowhead Equipment makes really good synthetic underquilts that are about half the cost as down.

I agree with Outandback that you're not going to find one quilt set for all four seasons.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Why should he get an UQ first if he's got a pad? I would get a winter TQ which is very easy to vent into the 50s. Lighter/cooler options are cheap and readily available when you need them. Might get a Jarbridge UQ to supplement the pad if you think that's needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Why should he get an UQ first if he's got a pad? I would get a winter TQ which is very easy to vent into the 50s. Lighter/cooler options are cheap and readily available when you need them. Might get a Jarbridge UQ to supplement the pad if you think that's needed.
    That's a good question and valid arguments could be made for either position. My opinion is top insulation is more flexible than bottom insulation. On top you can layer sleeping bags, wear heavier sleep clothes, use a winter sleeping bag or if it's warmer go with lighter weight bags and or sleeping clothes. However, I think it's harder to get that kind of flexibility with under insulation. Sure you can layer quilts and pads if you have them, but the poster's question was if he could only get a top quilt or bottom quilt which to get first.

The Gossamer Gear pad is light weight, but won't be as warm as a well fitting underquilt. It's only 1/4" thick. Would you rather have that or 2-3" of soft snuggly down on a 30* night? ��. Sounds like he wants to get maximum temperature range utility. I think an underquilt will better fit his criteria.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 12-30-2016 at 16:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast