Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to bite the bullet and order both I think. I got a 3-Season Wooki, and I'll order a winter top quilt from Warbonnet. Can I somehow stack my underquilt with the sleeping pad? I have a double layer hammock if that's helpful.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankGarrett View Post
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to bite the bullet and order both I think. I got a 3-Season Wooki, and I'll order a winter top quilt from Warbonnet. Can I somehow stack my underquilt with the sleeping pad? I have a double layer hammock if that's helpful.
    Many people layer a pad with a quilt to extend the temp range. You can slide the pad between the hammock layers, it will probably help keep it in place. The 3 season Wooki should be good down to at least 25 degrees, so you would only need to think about adding a pad if you were doing serious winter camping.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    That's great to know, thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I want to buy both of those, but need some guidance. Should I just go ahead and buy a winter Wooki for WB?
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    That's a good question and valid arguments could be made for either position. My opinion is top insulation is more flexible than bottom insulation. On top you can layer sleeping bags, wear heavier sleep clothes, use a winter sleeping bag or if it's warmer go with lighter weight bags and or sleeping clothes. However, I think it's harder to get that kind of flexibility with under insulation. Sure you can layer quilts and pads if you have them, but the poster's question was if he could only get a top quilt or bottom quilt which to get first.

The Gossamer Gear pad is light weight, but won't be as warm as a well fitting underquilt. It's only 1/8" thick. Would you rather have that or 2-3" of soft snuggly down on a 30* night? ��. Sounds like he wants to get maximum temperature range utility. I think an underquilt will better fit his criteria.
    I had presumed it was the 1/4" pad. Regardless, I think the prevailing sentiment is that a quilt set, if you can do that, is the way to go - which is apparently where he's going.

Hold on... I suggested getting the winter TQ when you were talking about getting one quilt. If getting the 20 degree Wooki, I'd only get a 20 degree TQ to match. Personally, I use a zero UG in below freezing temps, along with a 20 degree TQ, supplemented as needed with my summer TQ. But I also have a Jarbridge for milder weather. If these will be your only quilts, then a 20/20 set is the better way to go. But you might reconsider the Wooki and maybe make it a winter one. I find mine comfy up to about low 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Many people layer a pad with a quilt to extend the temp range. You can slide the pad between the hammock layers, it will probably help keep it in place. The 3 season Wooki should be good down to at least 25 degrees, so you would only need to think about adding a pad if you were doing serious winter camping.
    So, the pad thing is debatable. It mostly helps as added insulation, but it can be a hindrance, too. I'm of the personal opinion that when you add secondary insulation - a separate insulator item not directly next to your body - that what you are essentially doing is making the primary insulator more efficient, and not really using that particular insulator as it was intended, and so rated with that intent. For instance, say your CCF pad is rated to 40 and you use it with a 20 degree rated Wooki... I think a lot of folks would say that the pad added to the Wooki allows you to go below 20 degrees. Rather, I would say, the Wooki added to the pad means you likely get to freezing +/-, actually less rating from the two together. Potentially, YMMV.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Eep. I already pulled the trigger on the top quilt. I'll see if I can get my order changed if you think it's a better way to go.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Eep. I already pulled the trigger on the top quilt. I'll see if I can get my order changed if you think it's a better way to go.
    Dude I would be careful about basing your order off of what just one person tells you. Go with your instincts. Know thyself. Do you sleep cold or warm. Etc...the poster above only trusts his 3 season Wookie down to the 50's...other people like myself have felt warm in the low 20's with the 3 season Wookie.

Be careful about taking everyone's advice around here as prescription for your specific situation

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its just that most would say that if you're going to have a zero and a twenty - or any other differential combo - that the warmer rated one should be the UQ. I'm sure you could change your order pretty easily without issue, but don't feel like you have to. You've already ordered the UQ? Is that changeable? Again, don't feel like you have to change you order, you will be able to vent as needed with the warmer TQ. The UQ can be vented as well, but requires adjustment to do so, mostly meaning exiting the hammock to do it until you get some more experience.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Personally I'd go with the 20/20 setup. I think that gives you the biggest bang for your buck as a first quilt set. Then plan on adding to your quilt collection as time goes by for different conditions.

But you need to do what you think is best for you. Take our opinions as just that--our opinions. Ultimately you're the one paying for it and using it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    I ordered the underquilt from a forum member, so altering that isn't really feasible. I think I'll stay with the winter top quilt I ordered. I assume it will be easy enough to vent, and worst case I just get a matching UQ for it, and end up with a set for each season, which will probably happen eventually anyway. Thanks everyone for the help. There's a ton of options and opinions floating around out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast