--
    Gadget

Yikes a Kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Just thought someone might be interested, not come across these before,
    http://www.yobogear.com/the-product/

--
    Gadget
    Does YOBO stand for you only bounce once? JK I know nothing about the stand, it was just the first thing to pop into my head. Thanks for passing it along.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I saw and discussed it on a fb page...interesting. Some thoughts in my mind having used my "NoGround Car Camp" stand - which is a simple stand made by a HF user (I always forget your handle Cheryl: roflisfinger...or something like that lol).

This YOBO stand is not live yet as a kickstarter. I could not find specs on weight of the unit or projected weight tolerances or weight limits. There was a single very short ad showing the product with minimal detail.

I am intrigued by this stand and simultaneously annoyed and would not join up on such a kickstarter without the creator/company showing a more comprehensive video, specs, etc.

It may be that having two smaller diameter (and lighter?) poles in this configuration will mean lower weight than a single pole with two guy lines.

It has the option of using a single guyline to stake down, so that is cool, the bipod design does not take away the majority of the force when you lay in the hammock still...helps relieve some of the force on a guyline(s) as you rock or sway...but ultimately I would feel a bit more worried about such a stand with a single stake. Someone on HF had said this before and seems important..IF you had a failure of that one line, the stand will come down like a hammer on you...ouch. with a single pole with two guylines, a failure would result it seems to me in a sort of non linear failure? you would be on the ground perhaps, but not whacked by a bipod pole?

The photos of the included stakes: they do not look big, but I cannot tell...I believe having used my NoGround Car Camp model, that you really need a pretty darn beefy stake, and what stake would depend on the type of soil..and in her noground model I have, I use a 2nd stake behind conntected via a dogbone as a backup....

One benefit in my mind of the bipod design would be marginal improvement in ease of setup. the bipod design would let you kinda use some sort of bit of a ridgeline to hold the two bipods up while you staked out, or put the hammock on....I do the same thing with my stand and it is easy once I set it up right...I made a ridgeline to use between the poles at setup, I have a system in plance then based on that distance where to put down the stakes...once stakes are down, both poles go up, no problem. I imagine the bipod design may be a bit easier as it would not fall over as easy as you set up?

I go on a kayak camping trip in 2 weeks, and get to use my stand in the field...and even plan to hang on a "beach" (big sandbar) using some larg DIY aluminum stakes...photos to come of that...

I would love to see this stand in action though, as it looks like it could perhaps be a bit lighter and less bulky...my stand, each pole is 5 feet, breaks down into 4 pieces each, shock corded together, and fits into a volume about 19x5x5 inches...7 lbs total with the heavy included 12 inch heavy nail type stakes...plan on later replacing those...not got around to that yet, but they work excellent on the soil in my back yard.

There is something about hammock stands that just intrigues me...kinda analogous to me passing by the flashlight aisle in sporting goods store...don't need another light, but gotta look and want, lol

I think this stand has promis..I would use two guylines though...and wish when people did a kickstarter they just laid all the needed info out there...
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got to reading the kickstarter comments, the creator answered some of the questions.

It appears this is 2.5 lbs...assuming that includes all components, 4 stakes...not sure.

the stakes it seems are 12 inch stakes...that is good actually, I was worried they were smaller:

"The stakes we chose to use are DAC 12" j-stakes"

THe creator in that discussion thread boasts:

" In two years of testing I have not had a single stand fail, not even our early prototypes. I have never had this four stake system pull out. "

Also of interest in those comments:

"our suggested weight limit is 300 lbs."
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate B View Post
    Does YOBO stand for you only bounce once? JK I know nothing about the stand, it was just the first thing to pop into my head. Thanks for passing it along.
    Wish them the best, but I'll never be able to look at YOBO again without thinking "You Only Bounce Once".

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wondering also how high off the ground the anchor point is when the stand is up?

I submitted the question to the creator.

If too low, then it will be hard to get a proper hang with most any 11 foot hammock that is not like super duper tight at the ridgeline..and this would be a much larger strain on the stand?

My stand sits up at 5 feet and I have enough room for a proper hang...I have to have like about 14 feet apart, and then I have still room for UQ to hang below me and such...

If we know the height of the anchor point...using a hang calculator, you can see if that will work?

Images
    2.5lb seems fairly heavy compared to Cheryl Raftingtigger's trekking pole stands. And they are dual purpose.
    I think even the handy hammock stand (re-born by DD Hammocks) is lighter.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    yes, I agree...actually, I need to weigh my "NoGround Car Camp" model without the stakes....there are lighter stakes out there, I don't much care though, the big heavy ones she included with mine, my whole setup is used for kayak camping...but I will probably replace those with something lighter...I imagine pretty much a kinda large version of MSR groundhog, which is I believe what this YOBO stand pretty much is using...probably a nice stake actually.

Not entirely sure if he meant "2.5 lbs per side" or 2.5 lbs for the entire system to use without trees? He is pricing them on kickstarter prelim as 85 dollars per side...so I suspect 2.5 lbs per side, but not sure. So at 5 lbs, it would be far too heavy for any form of backpacking.

But at 2.5 lbs total....starts to get close to doable...and this weight would include 4 stakes, he claims he can easily get by with one stake (and guyline) per side, so that would shave some weight.

2.5 lbs would NOT be for like "serious backpacking", but for like an overnight trip requiring simply a short hike or something..."doable"....but then I would be even less likely to haul along my 2 lb helinox chair hahahaha

I have no interest in them for backpacking, but lots of interest for kayak camping, car camping, or casual use. I probably kayak camp more than backpack in the last year.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    DD website lists their stand at 1300 grams...converted to lbs, that is 2.9 lbs. I believe that is for two sides, so the entire thing is 2.9 lbs.

I suspect the YOBO is 5 lbs total...but not entirely sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast