ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images

Question Help with a decision: JRB Sierra Sniveler or High Sierra Sniveler

Happy Holidays!

I have been waiting to click the button on this purchase for about a year and very excitedly clicked the button the day after Christmas and then forgot about the additional fill for the Sierra Sniveler, then Talked to Jack then wound up ordering the High Sierra Sniveler. I am pretty sure of my decision on keeping the High Sierra Sniveller and sending the Sierra Sniveler back but thought I would post this for any feedback from those of you that have either quilt and would like to share.

I have the Winter Nest from JRB and I love it and decided to stay with the same company though there are many great Quilt companies on this Forum.

Thanks in advance.
    Each moment of the year has its own beauty ... a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Just to clarify, you ordered the standard fill Sierra sniveller, then after talking to one of the Jacks you ended up ordering a high Sierra sniveller? That's awesome! We have a winters nest that my son uses on an eno. It works great! If I had the two, I'd definitely keep the HSS as you'll have a great cold weather set up, and you can vent the nest, and undo the foot of the HSS to let more air flow in warmer weather! If you return the SS, (or sell it to me at an amazing price), you might consider a quilt liner to use as a TQ in warm conditions. I think you have a great set up! Good luck, you'll love your JRB stuff! Happy hanging!
    Last edited by Peppy; 12-27-2016 at 19:06. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Neolite Double
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images
    Yes. I ordered the standard fill and then ended up ordering the HSS. Thanks. I will keep the HSS and if JRB didn't have such great customer service I would sell you the SS, but since they do, I will send it back.
    Each moment of the year has its own beauty ... a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Didn't hurt to try, lol!

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I would guess the High Sierra Sniveller will really work well for anyone that wants just one quilt for all conditions below freezing. Regardless if that person is a warm or cold sleeper.

I have both quilts. I am a warm sleeper and following comments are for a comfortable cozy warm level and the under quilt was warm for the conditions.
    The High Sierra Sniveller has been used to -5° F and was toasty warm with light layers on. ie long johns. .
    I can push the Sierra Sniveller to about 15° F but have to layer up with like a 100 weight fleece etc.

So the difference for me on a given trip length in miles and expected temperature range is what extra layers are needed and how much room will they take up in my pack. Although the High Sierra Sniveller is slightly larger it does not take up the room more layers will. And its added weight is still lighter than those extra layers. So basically anything below 15° and the High Sierra Sniveller is going with me.

Have a great time this winter in the woods staying warm and cozy.
    Chris
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks so much for your response. Do you mind if I ask you which one you had purchased first? Th SS or the HSS? Did you start with the SS and then decide that you wanted a little more warmth for the lower temps or did you start with the HSS and realized it was too warm for fall?
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I purchased the Sierra Sniveler first to cover the colder nights 35 - 40 degrees or so on down. I also have the Sierra Stealth that I use for temperatures above that.

Typically I am camping two weekends a month right on through winter so I finally purchased the High Sierra Sniveler to cover the colder months. I never gave the High Sierra Sniveler a try in the shoulder seasons as there is no need for me to layer up using the Sierra Sniveler during those months. Its likely I personally would be too warm using the High Sierra Sniveler much above lets say 20 degrees. Having said that, I know folks that I hike with that would not use anything but a 5° quilt when it gets below freezing.

Chris
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images

Review of the High Sierra Sniveler

Here was my review I posted on JacksRBetter regarding the High Sierra Sniveler. They haven't posted it yet, so I wanted to paste it here for my own amusement.

I am in love with this lean-green-down-heating-machine. I was replacing my 5° sleeping bag with this quilt. This sleek and supple beauty is much lighter and takes up about half of the footprint my bright-red-synthetic sleeping bag was shamelessly hogging in my backpack. Soon after this olive-green-mound-of goodness arrived in the mail, we spent a lovely New Year's Eve getting acquainted. I set up along the lakeshore taking in the final sunset of 2016. The night started out a dark and crisp 14° F with Jupiter chasing a sliver of the moon across the sky. All of a sudden, the wind started surging, driving the chill down to 0° F. My small campfire couldn't keep up so I timidly, almost awkwardly retreated to the safety of my High Sierra Sniveler, unsure if our new relationship was ready for such a serious test. I had fantasized of such adventures as I longingly awaited its arrival but thought those types of encounters would unfold as our relationship matured. At first, I didn't trust it. I neglected to set up a tarp and was sure I would have to end our evening early, but after thinking about the many conversations I had over the last year with Jack at JacksrBetter, I felt I needed to give this new relationship a chance.
    Let me say I had a great night. The High Sierra Sniveler delivered.
    My heart was further melted along with the Northern Wisconsin snow when I was able to wake up, sleepily stretch, dive under it and come up in Sarape mode! Stepping out of my hammock in 0° weather wrapped in the warm olive embrace made me fall in love a little deeper.
    Warming my underside in this winter adventure was a Winter Nest which I have used for a year and am euphoric with that purchase too. JacksrBetter customer support and quality of their product was what brought me back to their brand. In both of my purchases, they were very responsive to my many questions and went out of their way to make sure I was happy with my products. I like to buy most of my gear in colors you would find in nature. I like the natural green color. The fact that these quilts can be washed in a front-loading washer and dried in a dryer makes them a fantastic investment. Thanks, JacksrBetter!
    Last edited by Hammi Camper; 01-03-2017 at 16:28.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I hope the two of you are happy together, and wish you both the very best, and many nights together!

Hammock
    Looking to Buy.Thats why I'm here
    I have now 10 nights under my belt with the HSS since I purchased it a month ago, and I.cant image a better quilt, So far I'm impressed.. Florida does not usually get cold but this pass week we were below freezing and add the wind and humidity it was bone hurting outside.The JrB keep me toasty..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast