A few DIY
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    DIY CDTs
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Finished my "HikingDad" Bridge Hammock!

Got the parts from Dutch and the directions from HikingDad/Bic. It was really easy to sew, only took about 4 hours total. Now I have to make another, my wife tested it and loves it! Which is all good, because she wasn't so hot about gathered end hammocks.

IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Looks really good. How does it lay?

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    this is on my short list...it almost made it to my Christmas list, but I needed a tarp and a quilt while yet another hammock not so much...but I wants it!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    A few DIY
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    DIY CDTs
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Looks really good. How does it lay?
    Really comfortable. I used Dutch's 1.6 Hexon which has more stretch than I would prefer, compared to RSBTR 1.6 Robic. I don't know enough about the fabrics to know if that is even an apples-apples comparison, just know what I have used and like. I haven't slept in it yet, I just finished it this morning and I've got a lovely respiratory infection I'm trying to kick, so it may be a bit before I can get out.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Excellent work! I got the same kit a few weeks ago from Dutch and am waiting for the day when I can get to tackling it. I took the even easier route and bought the templates for the hammock and bugnet from RBTR. Pretty excited to get into it, but might be a couple months before I get to start.

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Nice job. Did you follow the plan for dimensions?

Before I made the first one, I went through numerous threads and decided to go by the general rule: height + 6" or 7" for length. Because of the simplified HikingDad's end caps, there's a loss of useable length in the hammock. It was for my wife, she's 5' 6" and even if I cut the hammock at 76", it was a bit too short.

I made a second one for her, I kept the cut width at 47", increased the cat cut to 7", kept the length at 76" but didn't use the HikingDad's way of doing the end caps. I made end caps similar to Warbonnet's RR. The hammock is much more comfortable, lots of room, I could've cut it even 2 or 3 inches shorter. I scrapped the first one I made to steal the hardware and made a third one for me the same way. The best way I can describe the comfort is "decadent".

I think that it is well worth the little extra effort to make "real" end caps, actually very easy to do. I don't like stretch, so I use exclusively Dutch's hexon 2.4 for the hammocks I make. There's a lot of tension in a bridge hammock.

For more strength, I added a third stitch (rolled fabric on webbing) where it is the most needed:

grizz-bridge-1024.jpg
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 12-28-2016 at 13:40.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Awesome job. Looks really good, and I love the Forest Green.

I just build myself a DIY bridge hammock this week. They sure are sweet!

(What was your final weight with and without the bars?)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 12-28-2016 at 10:56.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    A few DIY
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    DIY CDTs
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks for the kind words!
    I did follow the dimensions that Bic posted. I made a hardboard template to trace around. I didn't notice it being too short, if I remember correctly the "usable" space in mine was about 78". I also don't remember exactly where I downloaded the template from. It may have been Bic's that someone fiddled with and actually increased the lenght.

Kitsap, your design is awesome! Since my wife seems to have appropriated this one, my next build will be the Grizz Arial like you did. The Dutch bling is nice, but not really necessary. I like how you did the pockets in the end caps. Thanks for posting such detailed directions on your mods, that will come in handy.
    I don't know what the weight is. I don't have a scale. :-)

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoberly View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!
    I did follow the dimensions that Bic posted. I made a hardboard template to trace around. I didn't notice it being too short, if I remember correctly the "usable" space in mine was about 78". I also don't remember exactly where I downloaded the template from. It may have been Bic's that someone fiddled with and actually increased the lenght.
    I used the same plan. The length on the plan is 83" and I'd say the loss in length because of this style of end cap is at least 6 inches. Looking at your photos, I had the same result. In his video Grizz is making a hammock for a person 5' 7" tall and he's cutting it at 74".

By adjusting the length to the user (height + 6 or 7 inches), with HikingDad's style of end caps, it doesn't work well and the hammock has to be too long for nothing. This is why I think that standard end caps are better, and the hammock is also more comfortable that way. On the one I made for me, I used a very light fabric for the end caps, another advantage.

It is not difficult at all to do the end caps when the hammock body has been sewn and I think it is well worth the effort.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wow what a beauty! I like the foot end how it has less sag than the RR. But I'd better not complain about what I have and covet another man's hammock...get myself in trouble!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast