Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Seam Seal Options - Winter Dream Sil/PU Poly

Merry Christmas to you all !!

As many other, a Winter Dream Sil/PU Poly tarp found it's way under our tree. What are the best methods to seal seal?

UGQ does mention directly SilNet

I bookmarked this: Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer, 1.5 oz. which was mentioned by another user or mfr, I don't recall which? It may be a more flowable, workable material for thin application?

I have some Silnet from another project (and will likely start anew). It's pretty think and was wondering if a more flowable solution may be better?

Other materials? Application tips?

Also, on the Winter Dream, looks like the ridge seam can be left alone or sealed. From UGQ's site: "All Tarps are shipped with a French Seam Ridge, while this type of seam is less prone to leaking with proper setup you may desire to seam seal it to insure a dry pitch. If you select either 2 Panel Pulls or 4 Panel Pulls they will need to be seam sealed prior to use." I suspect I may seal it, but maybe not right away. What have all of you done?

Here's UGQ's Instructions directly via the Black Friday thread... thanks Paul for the tips!
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    No seam sealing on these, just do not have the space required to layout and seal more than one tarp at a time. It would ball the works up pretty good considering it they need to sit for 2hrs after application of sealer before they can be moved.

Following are simple instructions for seam sealing all new Tarps.

1) Lay tarp out on a flat surface upside down so underside of seam is visible

2) Apply a small bead of sealer to ridge seam suitable for silicone treated materials such as Silnet Silicone Seam Sealer by McNett If sealing panel pulls apply a 1" (25mm) circle of sealer. Be sure to use an appropriate sealer for best results.

3) Draw a 1" foam brush along the ridge seam to "PUSH" sealer into seam. On the panel pulls use the foam brush to spread the sealer across all the stitch work, add more sealer if needed to completely cover all stitch work.

4) Allow to cure 24 hrs OR sealer manufacturer recommendations, the longer the better.

5) Apply light coat of baby powder or cornstarch to the sealer to prevent it sticking to itself

6) ENJOY!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Flowable silicone is used by many people here. I've used Permatex on a couple of tarps and I find it easier to work with than Silnet.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    +1 on the permatex. I use a small brush and dab it and spread it. Works great, dries quickly.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant is perfectly acceptable for Sil/PU Nylons or Sil/PU Polyesters. Available online or at most auto supply shops. use a 1" foam brush to spread it out evenly, don't be too worried about high spots as it's self-leveling.

For true PU coated fabrics such as PU4000 only sealer available that we have worked with is Seam Grip.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I asked Paul about the difference between Seam Grip and Silnet as it relates to a Sil-Poly Winter Dream. ( I just got one for Christmas, also). He made it pretty clear that you want a 100% silicone sealer, either Permatex or Silnet. Seam Grip doesn't work. For what it is worth, I am going to seal mine today with Permatex. Here is the original post I made, along with his response. (don't know why the formatting is messed up)

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Just to be clear, if we follow the process you just listed for your 20d Sil/PU Poly tarp, we should use Silnet or Permatex instead of Seam Grip? The picture of seam sealant on your website is Seam Grip, so I just wanted to make sure. I have looked at several threads on this that date back over the last year or two, and ended up confusing myself. There were several threads about checking for the PU side and which type of sealant worked best, etc... Could you set me straight? Thanks.

Correct, Seam Grip is for PU4000 tarps which we no longer offer. You want a 100% silicone sealant for Sil/PU 20d fabrics. The issue of which side to seal was related to Gen 1 Sil/PU fabrics, these are Gen 2 Sil/PU fabrics so sealers will work on either side but we recommend sealing from the inside for the best results.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - SR1355
    UGQ Outdoor Equipment
    Makers of High Performance Sleeping Gear and Tarps
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE
    FOLLOW UGQ ON FACEBOOK
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR FACEBOOK GALLERY
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    When I had my Henry Shires Tarptent he told me to use a mixture of 100% silicone and mineral spirits. This thinned olive oil consistency really soaked into the seams and stitches and when the mineral spirits evaporated left no glossy trace behind .

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Would there be any issues with using SilNet indoors? I was planning on doing it outside somewhere, but with the bad weather recently, and my inability to find a good place to do it outside (I live in an apartment) I'm thinking I may have to do it a bit at a time indoors with my limited space. Thanks!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theperson91 View Post
    Would there be any issues with using SilNet indoors? I was planning on doing it outside somewhere, but with the bad weather recently, and my inability to find a good place to do it outside (I live in an apartment) I'm thinking I may have to do it a bit at a time indoors with my limited space. Thanks!
    We seal indoors using silicon (SilNET) sealers with no issues, absolutely no odor. Seam Grip (for true PU coated tarps) has some nasty VOC and it will empty the shop pretty quick.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts