Tarp
    WarbonnetMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Cool. Where do you hang in the Grand Canyon?
    I've hammock camped at Havasupai a couple times. Twice at Indian Garden, and once at Bright Angel Campground. I've also done Hermit Creek Camp and Monument Creek camp. Also hung up in the rim forests on both the North and South Rims!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hippiepunkpirate View Post
    I've hammock camped at Havasupai a couple times. Twice at Indian Garden, and once at Bright Angel Campground. I've also done Hermit Creek Camp and Monument Creek camp. Also hung up in the rim forests on both the North and South Rims!
    Cool. You must've used the picnic shelters at IG and BA - they don't allow *anything* attached to trees along the corridor.

Never been to Hermit Creek, but Monument must've been a challenge, not much for trees.

I am thinking of organizing a group trip/hang: basically do the Horseshoe Mesa loop from Grandview. It'd be two nights out, one at Cottonwood where I've hung before, the second at Hance Creek that *looked* like it had enough big cottonwood trees for some hangers, but didn't scope it out well enough to know for sure. Let me know if interested.
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarbonnetMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Cool. You must've used the picnic shelters at IG and BA - they don't allow *anything* attached to trees along the corridor.

Never been to Hermit Creek, but Monument must've been a challenge, not much for trees.

I am thinking of organizing a group trip/hang: basically do the Horseshoe Mesa loop from Grandview. It'd be two nights out, one at Cottonwood where I've hung before, the second at Hance Creek that *looked* like it had enough big cottonwood trees for some hangers, but didn't scope it out well enough to know for sure. Let me know if interested.
    I'm under the assumption that if you backcountry ranger saw you hanging a hammock on trees anywhere in the canyon, corridor or otherwise, they might have a problem with it. As such, I'm pretty cautious about hanging and usually put my hammock up late in the evening and take it down first thing in the morning.

Hermit and Monument were both with scrawny mesquite trees, and it wasn't easy to find a good span to hang across. Fortunately it was winter, so the campsites were empty and I had free reign to find the right spots. If it was spring or fall, forgetabout it!

That Horseshoe Mesa loop sounds pretty sweet. I'd be interested in that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12