Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    10x12 xenon
    Insulation
    Pad & Quilt

Acceptable Mule Tape Practice

The use of 1">mule tape as tree straps has been very controversial.

Especially on the east coast, where the trees tend to have very small diameters, the smaller webbing bites more into the tree.

However, on the west coast (where I live), the trees tend to be pretty large on average. This means that there is more area for webbing to bite into, thereby decreasing the overall pressure on the tree. So would you think that the use of mule tape (in very specific cases) would be acceptable to use as a tree strap?

Take this for example: *Note we will assume the straps wrap entirely around the tree.

On the east coast, a hammocker decides to strap up on a pair of arbitrarily small, let's take 1.5' wide, beech trees using 1" normal webbing .
    Assuming they hang at a 30* angle, and weigh 180 lbs stark, then the force applied on each strap will be around 180lbs.
    An input into the pressure formula p=(f/a) gives that the total pressure in psi equals ~ 3.18 psi.'

Now let's take a hammocker on the west coast who wants to strap up on a pair of 2.5' wide red firs using 3/4 mule tape.
    Assuming they have the same weight and correct angle, then the overall pressure applied is equal to ~ 2.55 psi.

You guys can check my math if you want, I quickly made these calculations.

So do you guys now think that mule tape is acceptable in certain situations on the west coast? Feel free to criticize or give examples were this couldn't hold true. I was very general in my example.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One inch straps are generally accepted throughout the US (except Florida). Personally, that would be my goal, to find straps that are acceptable among all hammock hangers.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 12-21-2016 at 22:56.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    One inch straps are generally accepted throughout the US (except Florida). Personally, that would be my goal, to find straps that are acceptable among hammock hangers.
    What's up in Florida?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpkrmn View Post
    What's up in Florida?
    They require 2 inch straps, as I recall.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My thoughts are use a strap around tree and the mule tape as suspension.
    I just saw the video below last week and the multiple wrap is smart if in doubt about tree ethics.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11' hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    10x12 xenon
    Insulation
    Pad & Quilt
    It's just that when setting up between two monster trunks, I believe 3/4" webbing can be an acceptable alternative.

My ultimate question should rather be: Is mule tape unacceptably damaging to trees that are tremendously larger than those that were used to create hammock standards?

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I would think after one or two uses the mule tape would be compromised. I use mule tape pretty regularly, and I would think that it wouldn't be long and the mule tape would begin snagging on bark. The standard tree straps would last much longer and still maintain its integrity over that time much better.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    They require 2 inch straps, as I recall.
    Only in the state parks.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    No math here, just an example. I often hang in my backyard from a couple of redwood trees with about 2' diameter trunks at head level (I planted them, they're young). I use 1" straps. After the night of hanging, I can see pressure marks on the bark, which disappears after a couple days. Here are three different configs: 1) strap wrapped around trunk and reconnected with itself on the entry side of the trunk--pressure mark on that entry side, not on the closed side; 2) strap re-attached to itself mid trunk and at least a foot from the trunk, still pressure mark on the entry side, and also pressure mark on the opposite side; 3) strap wrapped around the trunk an extra 360 before re-attaching to itself--pressure mark still on the entry side.

I've also hun many times from larger redwood trees. By the time its 5-6 ft diameter, the friction of the strap reduces "pull" on the far side of the wrap to almost nothing.

So, whatever the tree diameter, I think the greatest pressure on the trunk is the entry side, and I think LNT is what we owe to our trees, so wide straps are good.
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Just for informational purposes, I'll add my experiences. 1 overnight and multiple short term hangs from a relatively small Live Oak branch. Not the trunk, but a 90* limb, using 1/2" MT produced no visible sign of anything. One time, I accidentally placed the MT over a twig stump and the MT separated, not even damaging the previously cut stump, but suffered no damage. I hung two nights from a medium pine (unsure of the variety) trunk with the same results. The Live Oak was in my yard and they are about the toughest tree imaginable. The only thing I can recall seeing really damage them is wire left on them long term. Even then, the bark grows over the wire, but I'm sure it's not good for the tree. The pine was in a "hunters camp" in a national forest.

Both of these tree varieties have really thick and tough bark. I also wonder about certain properties of MT being easier on trees than the poly straps. MT is very soft and flexible. It'll form around the shape of the bark. It's also slick, even when washed. Poly is more stiff and actually a little abrasive, especially the edge, as compared to MT or Kevlar. I'm not sure how it all shakes out in the end.

I imagine the 1" standard is pretty arbitrary and just there to be extra safe. That's a good thing and sets a standard which isn't overly burdensome on trees or hangers. Even better would be 2" Kevlar. Those huggers are really light and not expensive. Again, this was for information and not to argue against the 1" standard. I bought some Dutch 1" Kevlar huggers and they're going to be awesome. You couldn't ask for a lighter and more compact hugger.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast