HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Shopping for one
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    NHO Hangtight XL

Smile Need info/feedback on tarp comparisons

As a newbie, I am interested in feedback here for different styles of tarps. I have the HH Ultralite Backpacker and the tarp that comes with it will be fine for some summertime camping (shade) and some of the lighter rainstorms. Having backpacked and camped at higher elevations and experienced what true rainstorms are like, I wanted to get some feed back on different types of larger tarps, especially with enclosed doors. These are two I am considering: the Superfly by Warbonnet and the Typhoon 30 D by HH. I like the latter for the velcro blast panels and wonder if the former's door(s) close sufficiently to keep out wind blown rain. Of course, all products have pluses and minuses, but feedback from forum members of what they prefer would be greatly appreciated. I must admit, although I would love to make one of my own (DIY), I am not set up for that. I loved Shug's tarp, but I am just not set up for sewing my own.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would strongly recommend checking out the SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven as well. It's a great tarp made from SilPoly which in my opinion is a better tarp for hiking as it's so light and doesn't stretch nor retain water like SilNylon does. I would also recommend against any velcro as it adds weight and doesn't really accomplish anything as a tarp will never be wind proof and overlapping doors will work as well for camping needs.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I would strongly recommend checking out the SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven as well. It's a great tarp made from SilPoly which in my opinion is a better tarp for hiking as it's so light and doesn't stretch nor retain water like SilNylon does. I would also recommend against any velcro as it adds weight and doesn't really accomplish anything as a tarp will never be wind proof and overlapping doors will work as well for camping needs.
    This
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Shopping for one
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    NHO Hangtight XL
    Awesome. Thank you very much, that is why I love this site so much. I had never seen SimplyLightDesigns website. Now I have a whole new place to shop! Thanks again for your help

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post

I agree and if you really want the Velcro for $20 you can add them to the SLD winter haven. Also Jared usually ships it out within 24 hours if he has the stuff in stock. I went with silpoly also and he had to order the color I wanted and it shipped out in 6 days
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boid12003 View Post
    Awesome. Thank you very much, that is why I love this site so much. I had never seen SimplyLightDesigns website. Now I have a whole new place to shop! Thanks again for your help
    Yes, SLD isn't one of the "big names" but Jarred is one of the good ones to work with around here. His work is remarkable and the speed of his deliveries are second to none.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I like camping on ridge lines and have never felt like I needed Velcro to secure the ends of the Superfly. You can over lap them suitably to keep out the wind and rain. I've not used velcro so I can't say whether that would be better somehow.
    Good luck in your search.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have an SLD with velcro on the doors. Super nice tarp but my advice would be to skip the velcro. The problem is that it's an awful lot of velcro to rip open, and worse, to reattach (close). My tarp is really big so the doors have about 5' of velcro. Just imagine yourself reattaching that on return from a 3am watering run. NOT FUN. Not only that this stuff grabs hold of everything, especially mesh skins if you're not careful rolling it up. I'm thinking of replacing the velcro with about 3 kamsnaps or toggle/shock cord arrangement, or nothing at all.

My DIY winter tarp doesn't have anything on the doors except the tieouts at the bottom. I overlap and stake to the ground with shock cord. So far it hasn't been a problem.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 12-27-2016 at 09:06.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've not had experience with SLD but have heard nothing but good things. The WB SF is a very popular tarp with good reason. I use mine in all seasons. As others have mentioned I'd skip the velcro and go with an integrated door option.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I got the typhoon with my HH expedition. It worked great every time and I never got wet at all. It can be a tad cramped underneath if your hammock isn't in snake skins and you need to cook, change or just sit to wait out the rain. However, since I was using it with the shorter expedition I had a tiny bit more room on the ends than if I had gotten the monsoon, since the typhoon was designed to be used with the longer explorer length and the monsoon the expedition length. The only other down side, for me anyway, was that it can be kinda dark under it if its pitched tight w/ the doors on. Add in the fact that Henessy uses a heavy 30d netting on the exped and it can be even darker in the hammock. That made me feel vary closed in. I did like that it came with shock cord and braided poly line on all the tie outs and the fact that the H2O collectors actually worked quite well. Overall I liked the tarp, but it was just too small for me to use with my WBBBXLC, and even as a winter tarp had I kept the exped. I ( santa) did just order a WL old man winter from Dutch on Xmas day to use this winter instead of the 10x10 Snugpak tarp I've been using since selling the typhoon. I have lots of pics of the typhoon w/ the expedition in my tarp and hammock set ups album. There's also a pic or two of the typhoon with my cheap orange & blue 11' Equip ( Walmart special) hammock inside to show how much more room it has inside when using a netless hammock even if its 11'. If you need a winter tarp I'd go with the Warbonnet or something similar like the old man winter I got and if weight is an issue, the HG standard Cuben fiber tarp w/ doors is popular it seems...
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast