OG Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    I took 2 old hair bands and wrapped those around the clews where they join to a split ring. When I need to pack up, I slide one hair band coil down to the base of the UQ, which binds all the clews together. I then slide the 2nd half way down. This seems to keep all the little shock cords from getting tangled.
    Nice. That sounds like a super simple solution. I'll give it a shot!

Any suggestions on how many nettles I should use when my UQ is 200 cm x 140 cm? I tried making one clew suspension but it doesn't seem to behave like the thread starters does

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I adopted clews early on and I think they just do a better job, especially on a bridge hammock. Your is obviously a GE, but it is awesome for that as well.

I like to place a nettle at each baffle, so there is even pull all along the quilt edge. So with 8 baffles, 10 clews, one at each baffle, then 1 at each side as well.

I started using snaps and flaps like this

IMG_0473.jpg

a sleeve to keep the lines untangled

IMG_0487.jpg

a small keeper at the end to keep the sleeve in place

IMG_0489.jpg

Things are a little lighter and simpler now, 3/8" grosgrain loops with 1/2" split rings ,,, still use a sleeve to keep the lines untangled

IMG_3103.jpg

For the actual clew suspension, I have been using 1/16" shock cord, but i will be moving to 1/32" as the 1/16" can give a little too much pull

Brian

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Very cool thread! I have some cheap bags I was going to make summer underquilts out of. This thread has simplified things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I adopted clews early on and I think they just do a better job, especially on a bridge hammock. Your is obviously a GE, but it is awesome for that as well.

I like to place a nettle at each baffle, so there is even pull all along the quilt edge. So with 8 baffles, 10 clews, one at each baffle, then 1 at each side as well.

I started using snaps and flaps like this

IMG_0473.jpg

a sleeve to keep the lines untangled

IMG_0487.jpg

a small keeper at the end to keep the sleeve in place

IMG_0489.jpg

Things are a little lighter and simpler now, 3/8" grosgrain loops with 1/2" split rings ,,, still use a sleeve to keep the lines untangled

IMG_3103.jpg

For the actual clew suspension, I have been using 1/16" shock cord, but i will be moving to 1/32" as the 1/16" can give a little too much pull

Brian
    Very cool! Thing is, my UQ is a synthetic Apex quilt so it doesn’t really have baffles in that sense

That’s why I was wondering, because I feel my cords seem to pull the whole thing so that it folds in on itself.

Might be that I have to adjust the length a bit more for the edges or something

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    [QUOTE=Londall;2068914]Very cool! Thing is, my UQ is a synthetic Apex quilt so it doesn’t really have baffles in that sense

That’s why I was wondering, because I feel my cords seem to pull the whole thing so that it folds in on itself.

Consider adding a segment of stretch mesh. When I made Clewbacca here, I knew I wanted a Wooki-esque UQ with some adjustability. The stretch mesh really spreads out the pull of the clews. Should work for yours. 6" of stretch mesh should do it.

IMG_1963 2.jpgIMG_1963 2.jpg

[QUOTE=CBFarmer;2068960]
    Quote Originally Posted by Londall View Post
    Very cool! Thing is, my UQ is a synthetic Apex quilt so it doesn’t really have baffles in that sense

Consider adding a segment of stretch mesh. When I made Clewbacca here, I knew I wanted a Wooki-esque UQ with some adjustability. The stretch mesh really spreads out the pull of the clews. Should work for yours. 6" of stretch mesh should do it.

So essentially the sister of the Clew suspension, the spandex? Why not go with just the stretch mesh then?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    [QUOTE=Londall;2068993]
    Quote Originally Posted by CBFarmer View Post

So essentially the sister of the Clew suspension, the spandex? Why not go with just the stretch mesh then?
    Or the other sister, a Wookie-style UQ using light-weight non stretchy fabric to extend the UQ, and then gathering that and attaching it to the suspension with a few inches of thick elastic.

This seems simpler and lighter and just as good in every other way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    I plan on a version of this suspension soon. I am awaiting a bag to begin experimentation.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    [QUOTE=CBFarmer;2068960]
    Quote Originally Posted by Londall View Post

Great idea! So what did u use for stretch mesh? ( and where did u get it?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast