DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i go with a length of 1/8" shock cord on the keyrings in my setup to use the clewed setups for larger hammocks....tried out the kids setup on my hammock, and i needed like 12" on each end to tie a knot to the keyring (i've used clove hitches and bowlines for the attachment) and then double becket hitch the length right on the CLs. i actually use a slippery double becket, cinched to the stopper knot on the end then becket the bight around that. i just don't trust the becket hitch, its failed me too many tim
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbwoods View Post
    That's a good idea. I was thinking about leaving the nettles short and using a length of cordage for the adjustment...
    Kinda like this? Mini-ucr's at each end. This is a 3/4 uq, so the ucr not only allows for tension adjustment but also fore and aft. They could be made a bit shorter if need be. Been in use for just about a year now (nightly) without any issues. I do find that adding pack hooks to the hammock and passing the outer 2-3 nettles through them (actually, looping around them), keeps the uq from flipping off to the side. This may be a non issue for full lengths, I dunno.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    i go with a length of 1/8" shock cord on the keyrings in my setup to use the clewed setups for larger hammocks....tried out the kids setup on my hammock, and i needed like 12" on each end to tie a knot to the keyring (i've used clove hitches and bowlines for the attachment) and then double becket hitch the length right on the CLs. i actually use a slippery double becket, cinched to the stopper knot on the end then becket the bight around that. i just don't trust the becket hitch, its failed me too many tim
    A length of shock cord would be easier than what I have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Kinda like this? Mini-ucr's at each end. This is a 3/4 uq, so the ucr not only allows for tension adjustment but also fore and aft. They could be made a bit shorter if need be. Been in use for just about a year now (nightly) without any issues. I do find that adding pack hooks to the hammock and passing the outer 2-3 nettles through them (actually, looping around them), keeps the uq from flipping off to the side. This may be a non issue for full lengths, I dunno.

Very similar to that in concept, but I over complicated it a bit using stuff I have on hand.

Black carabiner attaches to the hammock, orange carabiner gets the clew. Prusik to adjust. Seems like it will work in theory, but we'll see.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Got the shock cord in the other day and finally got a chance to go to the woods for a test run. I was extremely happy with how well this works. My 7.5 oz apex uq has never felt so warm. It was probably somewhere between 15-20F with a light breeze while I was out there.

I didn't do the typical clew suspension, instead I wrapped a continuous piece of shock cord between the grosgrain and the little carabiner, with loops on both ends. In my mind, this will allow the shock cord to sort of self adjust. 7 nettles per side seems adequate, but it will be easy enough to sew on a couple more grosgrain loops if I need to.

When I adjusted with the prusiks, I cheated the uq toward the head end so that it was a little off center.

Head end.

Foot end.

This method is a definite game changer for me. It is awesome to finally get the most out of my insulation. I owe it all to the posters in this thread.

Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Ive seen the diagram on the web and dismissed it but your step by step showed jyst how easy it is and how it hangs "naturally".

Ive already made my UQ body,just have to stuff it but this is so good ill rebuild the body to suit this method.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So some experimentation for me - I wanted to make a wooki copy type of UQ for my buddy but he wanted a incubator style suspension - but I told him I wanted to experiment with some loops sewn on and play with a couple variations of “clews” -

First attempt was just 25 inches of hyperD with some bit of nylon cord sewn on to match up with the loops and tied on - used 4 inch long loop of 1/8 shock cord for a wooki style point of attachment - my differential allows a right result and no compression -
    Works good I think - need to test

Still has all the channels for traditional suspension option if he so chooses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Images
    Hey PG,

My next area of development is in stretch material. I'm working out a design that is kind like what you have there except it uses either Power Mesh or Spandex instead of loops as you have it attached there. If you are so inclined, I would really like to see someone put that together. Basic construction would be like:

EXTENSION FABRIC < 8" SPANDEX < QUILT BODY > 8" SPANDEX > EXTENSION FABRIC

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Branch Camo Demo
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12 Int PM
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin 10* UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Web
    Following....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dragon View Post
    Following....
    +1 !!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    Holy bear scat. I just read the whole thing. Not in one sitting, I do have a little bit of a social life. What I mean is I just finished it. Heading to Costco as soon as I have $65 for the Gemini uq. Thank you to everyone who helped this along the way. leiavoia and jellyfish are rock stars. If there is any justice in this world they will never have to buy pay for their own beer again. Ever.

• + New Posts
  • Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast