Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trick420 View Post
    So I'm thinking about trying this on a snugpak underblanket. The factory suspension is so beyond badly done. Anyone else tried it yet?
    Isnt the snugpak underblanket the oval shaped one? The clews theory should work, but make sure you leave enough length on each shock cord nettle to ensure that the entire clew ends up at a central, singular point. My nettles all started out at like 20", but yours should like 'cascade' on length to the edges (shortest in center, longer at each consecutive out from center. Like 7 nettles, center one at 17" finished length, one left and rightout from center at 19" one left and right out from those at 21" and so on)
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Why do cottage vendors not sell this type of underquilt yet ?
    As Jellyfish said, it's wonderfully complex. That's why!

I make lightweight, durable UQs at low cost. Multiplying the suspension by 8 or more would be far too costly to make. I'm thinking of trying stretchy mesh fabric ends on the full length Shamu UQ (as with Ed Speer's Snugfit). That should be more cost effective.

In skimming through this thread, I saw that someone suggested the Snugfit-like stretchy mesh fabric... did anyone try it?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

I make lightweight, durable UQs at low cost. Multiplying the suspension by 8 or more would be far too costly to make. I'm thinking of trying stretchy mesh fabric ends on the full length Shamu UQ (as with Ed Speer's Snugfit). That should be more cost effective.

In skimming through this thread, I saw that someone suggested the Snugfit-like stretchy mesh fabric... did anyone try it?
    I built one with 4-way stretch fabric ends (not mesh), and it is working very well. The only issues are that it adds a bit of weight and bulk to the quilt. It is a bit more challenging to stuff it all into the stuff sack that the quilt came in. Stretchy mesh should help alleviate both of those issues.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    SLD WH/DW xenon
    Insulation
    SLD Climashield 6
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by trick420 View Post
    So I'm thinking about trying this on a snugpak underblanket. The factory suspension is so beyond badly done. Anyone else tried it yet?
    I thought about modding mine but it is just a heavy, poor design, I decided to get a Simply Light Designs UQ. I agree the suspension is so terrible, it always tacoed me or slid out from under, made me soooo mad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

I was going to try the 4 way stretch fabric but just haven't gotten around to it. Another idea is more wookie like, use light weight fabric (argon 90?) to extend the quilt to within 6 inches or so of either hammock end. Loop shock cord through end channels back up to the GE. Use whatever form of adjustment you prefer. I haven't tried this yet either.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Another idea is more wookie like, use light weight fabric (argon 90?) to extend the quilt to within 6 inches or so of either hammock end. Loop shock cord through end channels back up to the GE. Use whatever form of adjustment you prefer. I haven't tried this yet either.
    I like this approach.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

I’m not sure if anyone’s posted on this yet, but the clew doesn’t work with the HG Incubator – it’s just too narrow at the ends. My head and feet kept popping out! I tried it out with loops of grosgrain safety-pinned to the draft collar cinch channels and the shock-cord threaded through the loops. Much better success with my diy CS UQ and army poncho liner. Happy tinkering, all!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    I wonder if the people having trouble with it taco-ing could be helped with the assistance of a ridgeline quilt hanger with shock cord going up to it? I'm also thinking that making the edge shock cords a little less taut might help?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by spameranne View Post
    ...the clew doesn’t work with the HG Incubator – it’s just too narrow at the ends. My head and feet kept popping out! I tried it out with loops of grosgrain safety-pinned to the draft collar cinch channels and the shock-cord threaded through the loops.
    What about taking the existing secondary suspension of the Incubator and running that over the ridgeline, and using the existing lineloc for tension? It detracts a little from the aesthetics of the clews system, but it might work.

I read this entire thread thinking "I'm gonna do this with my Incubator" and then got to your post, and so am interested in a solution.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’m making a buddy two UQ’s for his kids as we speak but the output he wants is still adult sized - 72x42

I’m gonna have the incubator like suspension but also am gonna include some aspects to allow me to play with a clew.

I’m not yet sure how I will do the attachment points - but I’ll have a bit of fun trying the clew type deal (however I end up doing it) vs traditional

I love the wooki type so much - but he wanted the traditional for his kids at this point for various reasons.

Should be fun - more to come soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast