Hammock
    Dutch netless
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    REI Flash pad
    Suspension
    homemade woopies
    what kinda amsteel loops/slings/etc are attached to the caribiners? very interested....

Hammock
    Hennessy Sparrow hybrid
    Tarp
    HEX12 winter tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    i used a home made whoppie sling, made With 7/64" armsteel

Lightbulb

Here is yet, another way to get your clew on.

I've been using a shouldered sword mat weave "header" on my latest Gemini CDT suspensions. It consists of a short shouldered sword mat weave made out of some small cord and nettles made out of simple shock cord loops. The nettle loops are attached to the cord loops with a larks head knot. I made a jig to weave up the sword mat that has 13 mini-nettle loops on it that get made out of cord. The two outer mini-nettles are 3" shorter that the other remaining 11 nettles that are 8" long. I've been using Atwood Nano Cord, but any small cord would work. For an 11' hammock nettle loops of 19" are just right. I use an 8" 3/32" shock cord loop run through the sword mat (instead of a metal ring) with a cord lock acting as a toggle between the hammock continuous loop strands to make the UQ adjustable for centering and tension.

This set up is ultra light weight, looks cool and allows easy individual replacement of the longer shock cord nettle loops as needed of tuning or after field use wear and tear. I'd rather just have to replace just one nettle than the whole set if one of them got damaged or wore out.

Give it a try if you "have to have" a shouldered sword mat knot on you clew suspension. It works great!
    20190326_125450.jpg
    20190315_143417.jpg
    20190315_143347.jpg
    20190319_141357.jpg

Just curious: does a clew system significantly outperform the method used on WB's Wooki?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Just curious: does a clew system significantly outperform the method used on WB's Wooki?
    No. They have roughly the same forces acting in the same directions. They also weigh roughly the same.

The wookie is less fiddly. Clews are more adaptable to different hammock bodies. Spandex suspension might be a compromise between the two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images
    Before constructing the Clew Suspension for a Costco throw, I was thinking of sewing on a piece of ripstop nylon on the inside of the quilt (facing the hammock) that is slightly smaller than the Costco throw (2” or so”). I was also going to add a small amount of catenary cut to each edge of the nylon to get a slighter tighter fit on each side of the quilt. Ripstop by the Roll has breathable nylon at 1.0 oz/yard, so it’s a 2 oz. weight gain.

The reason for doing it is to allow the Clew Suspension to pull the inner nylon surface up against the hammock without compressing the down. I may also sew Velcro tabs for the elastic nettles onto the ripstop before attaching it to the quilt, saving me the step of using Kam Snaps.

If anyone has tried similar modifications and found them worthwhile (or not), please let me know. I’m trying to make the UQ useful for both a bridge hammock and a gathered end hammock. Thanks

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doheir View Post
    Before constructing the Clew Suspension for a Costco throw, I was thinking of sewing on a piece of ripstop nylon on the inside of the quilt (facing the hammock) that is slightly smaller than the Costco throw (2” or so”). I was also going to add a small amount of catenary cut to each edge of the nylon to get a slighter tighter fit on each side of the quilt. Ripstop by the Roll has breathable nylon at 1.0 oz/yard, so it’s a 2 oz. weight gain.

The reason for doing it is to allow the Clew Suspension to pull the inner nylon surface up against the hammock without compressing the down. I may also sew Velcro tabs for the elastic nettles onto the ripstop before attaching it to the quilt, saving me the step of using Kam Snaps.

If anyone has tried similar modifications and found them worthwhile (or not), please let me know. I’m trying to make the UQ useful for both a bridge hammock and a gathered end hammock. Thanks
    I wouldnt use velcro to attach the clews to the uq, i doubt it would hold. I tried the stickytape stuff to attach the loops with, but it didn't hold. I sewed lil ribbon loops and that worked fine (i think like 5 uqs). I used perfection loops on each end of something like 8” of 3/32 shock cord, larks headed each to a ribbon loop, sild a keyring through the opposite end of each clew (ensuring they stay in order) maybe a small s-biner to clip to your cl on each end.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    I wouldnt use velcro to attach the clews to the uq, i doubt it would hold. I tried the stickytape stuff to attach the loops with, but it didn't hold. I sewed lil ribbon loops and that worked fine (i think like 5 uqs). I used perfection loops on each end of something like 8” of 3/32 shock cord, larks headed each to a ribbon loop, sild a keyring through the opposite end of each clew (ensuring they stay in order) maybe a small s-biner to clip to your cl on each end.
    Veddy Intadesting!
    Thanks for sharing.
    To hang or not to hang, that is the question!
    Mammock: to tear into fragments : MANGLE
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtv63p4wAuE7uskkWHY16PA

Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    What happen's when I miss the hammock and sit in the UQ in the dark? You know you've done it But really, will the shock cord stretch enough not to damage the UQ?
    You’ve got to be really tripping to miss your hammock and try n climb between the two 😂

I ve had it happen with my wooki, wasn't tripping but i wasn't sober either. The mini biner failed instead of the epdm elastic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast