Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images

Five Tips for Getting Your Wife out on the Trail

An article for the men out there who would love for their wives to join them out on the trail but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-trail/

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Great advice!! With our purchase of three hammocks for our little family, I am going to start the ladies out in the backyard. I am planning to clear some brush and make a nice spot for us to hang to get used to setting up the hammocks and site. Definitely not good to backpack in a couple miles to a remote site and then struggle setting everything up and getting irritated because everyone is frustrated! My first hang was in the yard and it was a great learning experience, and why I fell in love with hanging! The next time I went I went alone up a mtn and hung and it was great, but a touch lonely. I would rather have company I think most of the time.

Thank you for your article!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    funny, Laurie and I camped before we were married lol never really had a problem getting her to go. In fact somethings she is more comfortable than I am doing in the woods...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    Thanks John! Great article, terrific advice, and you are absolutely right on all counts. I couldn't agree more!

Oh, one more thing...ain't gonna happen.

She's fabulous and a real trooper. If I told her it was important to me, I know she would be right by my side, but I also know she'd be quietly miserable. The situation definitely limits how often I sleep under the stars, but that's the balance that makes it all work, right?
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good information there, and even if I followed it to a t, I'm pretty sure the chances of me getting my wife out there are about as good as the Bills making the playoffs this year. Her idea of roughing it is if I was able to afford one of those million dollar rv's you see on the travel channel.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent advice John. I hope this works for many but some of us may not want our wives to go. It's kinda of good to get away from time to time. Sorta like a man cave in the woods There are times when I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner but I always seem to have more fun with the guys and enjoy time at home with the wife.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Excellent advice John. I hope this works for many but some of us may not want our wives to go. It's kinda of good to get away from time to time. Sorta like a man cave in the woods There are times when I wouldn't mind having a hiking partner but I always seem to have more fun with the guys and enjoy time at home with the wife.
    LOL I wasn't going to say anything, but since you got the ball rolling I'll give it a big old +1 (If you're reading this...I still love you hun!!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    LOL I wasn't going to say anything, but since you got the ball rolling I'll give it a big old +1 (If you're reading this...I still love you hun!!)
    I laughed at this one.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' Hexon1.6 burntcoyote
    Tarp
    DIY ASYM
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ/CDT
    Suspension
    Dyno-Poly Beetles
    Thanks, John. Those rules apply to all relationships; wife, kids, and otherwise. My wife enjoys camping, and light hiking, although right now she's not so into it because we have a one year old and a three year old, and they are a lot of work even with the amenities at home.

She always prefers car camping over wilderness camping, though, and she's not fond of sleeping in the hammock. Our compromise is if I can get the tent and double-high queen size inflatable mattress to the campsite, I can sleep in my hammock while she and the kids take the mattress. I have happily agreed to hiking in four full trips of gear nearly a quarter mile, to get to a great spot and sleep in my hammock, including a fully inflated queen size mattress, through the woods, atop my head. Other campers thought I was crazy, I'm sure.

She also knows I need to be far in the woods, too. She allows me that, and I make sure that I am spending enough quality time with the family.

I've found that great views and beautiful landscape is the experience that keeps her agreeing to go out with me.
    If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else.
    - Yogi Berra

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Great advice!! With our purchase of three hammocks for our little family, I am going to start the ladies out in the backyard. I am planning to clear some brush and make a nice spot for us to hang to get used to setting up the hammocks and site. Definitely not good to backpack in a couple miles to a remote site and then struggle setting everything up and getting irritated because everyone is frustrated! My first hang was in the yard and it was a great learning experience, and why I fell in love with hanging! The next time I went I went alone up a mtn and hung and it was great, but a touch lonely. I would rather have company I think most of the time.

Thank you for your article!
    That's a great idea. It'as always good to get familiar with your equipment in the backyard before hitting the trail. Going out in the wilds with untested and unfamiliar gear is just asking for trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    funny, Laurie and I camped before we were married lol never really had a problem getting her to go. In fact somethings she is more comfortable than I am doing in the woods...
    That's good that getting outside was a shared passion coming in to your marriage. Here's hoping that will continue!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast