Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Quilt purchase -- temperature rating -- actual temperature versus "feels like" temperature

I plan to purchase a down quilt in the future, but this just occurred to me...

When purchasing quilts, do I use the actual expected temperature or the "feels like" temperature when choosing quilt ratings?

I expect to camp during Texas winters, Colorado summers, and Pacific Northwest/New England shoulder seasons.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Only you can answer this question based on experience. Most gear from small makers isn't actually tested, but instead based on loft on down fill. But based on reviews here, most people don't find most brands here to be unreliable.

When camping, you are trying to control the local atmosphere. You choose sites with less wind, use tarps, covers, etc to protect your insulation.

So to answer the question, choose your quilt based on actual temps (consider how high buffer you want), but think about the total weather when buying other gear and choosing sites.

But I'd say based on your description you're looking for a 20° quilt. But read some threads here of course lots of good info.

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    "Feels Like/Real Feel" (don't even get me started) is the idiot's version of wind chill factor....basically an indicator of how much faster you will lose heat at a certain temperature with the wind blowing. If you have a tarp or UQP, pick sheltered spots etc then wind won't be sucking heat out of your quilts and away from you. Stick with the anticipated temperatures and I also agree that a 20* quilt is what you should probably be looking at.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'd get a big Texas quilt--for full coverage. Talk with two cottage vendors--and they will be glad to share their expertise. You might even end up with a 20 TQ UQ set and a Zero TQ UQ set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I believe we all answer the question you are asking in our own way. Each of us have a difference tolerance for cold and what works for one, won't work for the next person.

I have purchased my quilts with a 15F buffer because I discovered I sleep colder than I ever thought I did. In other words if lowest temp I want my quilts to cover is 15F then I purchase 0F quilts. I buy both top and bottom at same temp. I have also found a bit of difference between a vendor's 0F quilts.

My most used quilts are 20F rated quilts. I tend to use these 80% of the year here in VA with appropriate layers on with them.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have found that ALL my uqs and tqs perform to their ratings. But take care to not go to sleep cold. Be warm when you crawl in. Wear the proper amount of clothing. Less is more. I add through the night..when I get up to wee-wee in the early morn I will often add a top layer.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    New to this, but I think I've already learned about improving my site selection. Wind cut through my UQ a week or so ago and while I wasn't freezing, it was much colder than I expected (well above my UQ rating). Also bought an UQ protector after that trip, hoping to gain some wind blockage.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    When I first got into hammocks I had no clue about any of it, especially quilts , their ratings and how to best use my system as a whole, not a sum of parts. Once I figured out I was a cold sleeper and the temp range I wanted to cover it made it a little easier to pick quilt sets. For me, I just went with 2 : I use my synthetic Snugpak TQ/UQ together down to the mid 30's or so. Then I'll switch to my HG down set, a 0° +3 Burrow & 0° Incubator. So far I've always used my UQP when I use the Incubator BC its always windy when its cold where I live, and it seems to help a great deal. I recently got a winter cover for my WBBBXLC and have used it every time ive hung since. My lowest so far is 2°,I was wearing minimal base layer clothing and was toasty warm. I go by what its gonna FEEL like when choosing which quilts, protectors and clothing to use since its usually lower than the actuall temp and gives me a larger buffer between my "quilt rating" and how far below it I'm willing to go. As long as you use all of your gear together as a whole to maintain a comfortable microclimate inside your quilts, you'll be OK. I could proly push my 0° set lower if I had to and still be comfortable. ALWAYS Test at home FIRST and ALWAYS give yourself AT LEAST a 10° buffer. Everyone is different, but I use the feels like/ real feel temp and I've always stayed warm so far. YMMV though....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts