SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema

Snugpak blanket + Costco DT Top Quilt

Now that anyone can get Costco Quilts by ordering online I picked up a pair. I have no sewing skills so I was planning on doing a Kamsnap based top quilt as I've seen a few other users do.

Last week I came across an Amazon sale on the Snugpak Jungle Blanket that was 50% off. It's basically a synthetic version, albeit a little larger, of the down quilts. Lightweight, good to about 45 degrees and packs to about the same size as the CDT.

Made up a snap based top quilt this evening with the Jungle Blanket and Costco Down Throws and tried them out. Making 3 top Quilts took about 1 1/2 hr.

The Jungle Blanket is a nice shell as it about 3" larger than the Costco throws in all dimensions. On it's own, it would be fine for temps down to about 45-50 degrees.

While I understand all the attention given to the Costco Quilts, I found the Jungle Blanket, to be a very nice, more rugged, slightly larger alternative. It's quite thin but still soft and warm. Also a great deal at $25. Doesn't slide off you as easily as type CDT as it has a soft, more suede like interior fabric and a rugged diamond weave exterior.

Since it was 32 degrees or so outside, I didn't try the Jungle Blanket top quilt on its own. I tucked in a single Costco throw top quilt and tried it for 30 minutes or so. I was dressed only in lightweight fleece pants and a light weight wool top.

It was Tolerable but pushing it. Not freezing but not ideal either. I'd say the combination of the Jungle Blanket + Costco Down Throw would be good to 35 tops.

I added the other Costco down throw Top Quilt and was plenty warm. In fact, it was a bit TOO warm until the temp fell a bit.

I'd say the stack of 2 down and 1 synth layer would be good to about 25. I was so comfy at 30 that I stayed out for 2 hours to confirm my test .

I suppose these results are not surprising but I really like that for $75, it's possible to make a flexible top quilt system that I can use for all seasons, that doesn't take up a ton of space. Both Costco quilts can be stuffed in a single original sack and the Jungle Quilt is about the same size.

Had no problems with cold feet as I ran some shock cord through the base of each to cinch it up and then turned each bag inside out. This provided a great seal and 3 cozy, nested foot boxes.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and ideas here.

Happy Hanging !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    The SnugPak blanket layer will provide you with an excellent WIND block, too! The SnugPak stuff isn't the lightest around, but it sure is durable...and nice for cutting the wind chill!

Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I recently used two Cosco quilts stacked and it got down to 25 degrees and stayed very warm...but then gain I am a very hot sleeper. A couple of years ago I did a trip where it was in the high 30's with only a light fleece blanket and no UQ and stayed warm so maybe I am not the best "Thermometer" Ha!

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    mcody
    Thanks for the report. I'm making the CDT snap TQ to use with my DD TQ hoping it will work down to freezing.

Just CDT with a poncho liner thrown over the RL was good for a nap at 43*

Warm hanging!
    cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I turned my Snugpak jungle blanket into a 3/4 UQ. Its perfect for the summer and inside the Snugpak Coccon if I need it.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    I picked up two of the Snugpak Jungle Blankets last week. We plan on using them as fair weather top quilts/blankets and boosters for cooler temps with out underblankets. The quality of these and build is great.

Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    20161218_145420.jpg
    My youngest son trying out my top quilt after making some modifications to be able to stack multiple quilts together.

Nice choice with the jungle blanket. They work great, however I'm not to keen on the proposed rating but that's based on how you sleep. I use mine in the summer months and find it to be perfect. They are also great for traveling. Throw it in your bag and you always have a nice "blanket" everywhere you go!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    The Jungle Blanket is great and packs fairly small. I used it all summer long as a TQ. I simply sewed the bottom third enclosed to create a foot box.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I just picked up the Bed Bath Beyond down throw. I have not had a chance to test it, but my initial impression is that the Snugpak Jungle Blanket (which I have used many times) is a far superior product. The quality is much better.

I too have thought about layering my down throw with the Jungle Blanket.

I think I might install some grommets into the corners of the down throw so I can tie it to "stuff" if I want.

• + New Posts