WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Cinch Buckle Fail - HELP

OK, I googled this and read multiple threads last night and I have hit a wall!! I think this is some kind of dumb user error that I am not seeing and it just BUUUUUUUUGED me last night!

I spent most of the evening last night constructing my 2nd ever hammock build - a standard 11 foot netless using RSBTR robic XL 1.7 hybrid...put in 2 button holes on each four corners for knotty mod...I went ahead and did a sewn channel for continuous loop for suspension, although I may convert that to whipped end (cannot decide how I want to do it, there appear to be several ways per my reading)....but anyway...I made continuous loop, and before splicing, I wrapped each cinch buckle (the cheaper non-titanium ones from dutch) totally filling the length....then spliced....then installed in the channel....

No matter how I do it after that it seems I cannot keep the buckles perfectly straight and as I get into the hammock, they begin to twist and....FAIL...first time I was careful and the failure was in a fairly controlled fashion and I was over carpet.

I do know people often may use a half hitch, but I want to sideline that...as frankly, If the darn half hitch is what will hold it, then I will just go with a darned beckett hitch. This hammock is gonna be a gift to my brother and he is not a "hammock nerd" at all, so I want it to work primarily as is...

My straps were the basic 1 inch straps ordered in like 25 foot increments, I then sewed the loops on the end....the material is kinda stretchy, and it seems some threads in the past pointed to this as the issue.....I don't know.

I have tried threading the cinch buckle from both above and below but the result seems the same.

I noticed that I can make sure it all seems lined up before sitting in it, but once beginning to sit, I think what is happening in part is the perimeter fabric has more force a first, and this causes the system to twist...I set it all up once and sat on the hammock bunched all narrow straddling it do as to make the force even and there was no failure...

So either I am doing something just plain dumb, or I have it set up just subtly incorrect, or perhaps the straps are not appropriate for the cinch buckles...

I know it is a small thing, but I was so proud to be done, stitches look great and all, and then I was so darned frustrated to not LAY IN THE END PRODUCT hahahahaha.

My buddy has the dutch cinch buckles as I recall...I laid in his hammock at a park one day and it worked flawless....and he has had no issues with his and he is a much heavier dude than I (I am 153 lbs 6 feet).

Any help appreciated!

Ill post photos and videos later this afternoon when I get home from work.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

I'm not sure I'm following the issue, but here are a few pictures of a hammock I made with cinch buckles for my daughter. Are your twisting issues with the CL's or the straps? I haven't noticed any problems with the CL's twisting, as you can see from one of the photos, though I usually try to get them straight. Of course the straps need to go through the buckle without any twisting, but I find that once they're in the buckle and tight that they don't twist in the buckle.

I've actually switched to this hammock for my backyard nights and have not had any issues.

20160116_155004.jpg 20160116_155018.jpg
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy gaaaaaaaaawd!!!

I cannot be 100%, but I am pretty sure I have them installed backwards...

I think I got tired and lost my wits....I hope that was my STUPID ERROR and I will easily fix it later....

I think with the buckle in reverse...it almost holds, and was likely slipping then twisting caused by uneven slipping.....so I may have confused correlation with causation.

Ill report back later....Feeling dumb.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Well, that would do it. No need to feel dumb, this hobby/lifestyle will keep you permanently on the learning curve.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    ohhhhhhh myyyyyyy gaaaaaaaaawd!!!

I cannot be 100%, but I am pretty sure I have them installed backwards...

I think I got tired and lost my wits....I hope that was my STUPID ERROR and I will easily fix it later....

I think with the buckle in reverse...it almost holds, and was likely slipping then twisting caused by uneven slipping.....so I may have confused correlation with causation.

Ill report back later....Feeling dumb.
    so glad to see I'm not the only one that does things like that! I usually solve the issue when I tell someone else about it, I guess hearing myself say it out loud triggers something in my brain

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Apparently, there needs to by some kind of bit arrow showing which direction for dummies like me......hey, well, in all the googling on this, I may have been the first to (officially) report doing this with a cinch buckle.

Do I win a special prize or something?

Not sure if others have a similar feeling, but when I have something unfinished like this, it just BUUUUGS me too...

Maybe we should have nominations for The Hammies? I'm sure we've all merited a Hammy Award at some point in our journey. I've contemplated a few myself as I sat, unexpectedly, on the ground.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Hammie award...yes! Love that.

Can you just flip the loop around so the buckle is facing up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok so

Yep - backwards

And yes - I was able to somewhat tediously work the loops around to the correct side.

Now I'm gonna construct whipped ends - I don't know why but I don't like the channel.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Related - I am experimenting with whipping my ends with amsteel blue - spliced through itself and tied a few strands of it off to itself to "lock" in place.

Leaves a nice rigid structure for whipping continuous loop or whoopies....probably has been done but I have never seen it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast