Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I theorize that there are more UQ tutorials because they are more complex to make than a TQ, especially a down UQ. A CS topquilt, at its simplest, is making a fabric/insulation sandwich in the shape you want, sewing 95% of the perimeter, and turning it inside out. Of course, embellishments such as zippers, buckles, and drawcord channels take a little planning.

On the one 5.0 CS TQ that I've made I oversized the shell, boxed the corners on it, and then sewed as usual. But I'm convinced that it's completely unnecessary, I just like the way it looks. I made a 20F down TQ and didn't differentially cut anything - it works great.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by DanAyo View Post
    Should I make the outside fabric larger than the inside to account for compression? I'm using Climashield 5.0. I just made an under quilt (Climashield 7.5) and did that...
    For Climashield 5.0 in a top quilt, which should have an expected loft of approximately 1.25", I don't really think a differential cut is necessary, although it certainly can't hurt. I didn't do it on any of my quilts because I like wide TQs, and, striving for maximum width, I try to use the whole fabric from selvage to selvage if I can. However, If you do decide to oversize the outer shell, I suggest you do it by the simple and elegant method of boxed corners that Caminante uses, although you can also dart the short edges as an alternative. I don't know how wide a top quilt you are planning to build, but if you cut your outer shell approximately 2.5" wider than your inner shell, you should have ample differential for your CS to loft fully. (For aesthetic reasons, I might only add 2", so the outer shell isn't too baggy.)
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I just finished my top quilt. I used the argon 90, but agree with others that the HyperD would work great. I have a hammock made out of the 1.6 HyperD and love the feel of it. Like others said maybe the lighter weight for your inner shell to shave some weight. As far as plans go, if you go to the diy gear supply web site they have a very helpful top quilt guide. For the foot box I used kam snaps and really like the results. Sanwiched a piece of gross grain in between the shell layers and attached the snaps to that. I did make my outer shell an inch larger all the way around and darted it a little at the corners.

Something I found that made my topquilt easier was sewing my shell first then sewing the Climashield onto it. Made it a lot easier to wrangle than trying to fight all the seperat pieces of material. Just a thought.
    I used a shockcord drawstring at the foot and find it seals up pretty tight. I used 6.0 oz Climashield with an extra 2.5 oz in the footbox so it's kinda bulky.
    20161214_182001~2.jpg
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Images
    On my down top quilt, I cut a curve along the top edges from the corners down to the middle (where my chin is). Like MattK, I use a snap to secure the quilt around me. I added a drawstring of eighth inch grosgrain ( which I can no longer find in stores) and grommet. I placed the grommet midway between the center mark and the left side ( I'm right-handed) so the drawstring doesn't hang down right in my face. If I have to get up in the night I just pull the quilt over my head without undoing it- makes it easier to get back in.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I am looking for tutorials also. My latest plan is sew the foot end closed, boxed in like a rsbtr zipper pouch. Sew the inner and outer fabric footboxes separately. Then sew the two layers together. Then sew the apex to that. Finally turn it inside out. Would this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    I am looking for tutorials also. My latest plan is sew the foot end closed, boxed in like a rsbtr zipper pouch. Sew the inner and outer fabric footboxes separately. Then sew the two layers together. Then sew the apex to that. Finally turn it inside out. Would this work?
    I'm doing the same. I wish someone would put a kit out.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Maybe building a top quilt without instructions or a blueprint is some sort intitiation into the world of "thread injecting." I suppose I will learn a lot. I just would like to to use my $75 in materials as wisely as possible. I just hope I end up with a good quilt and not a bunch of pillows, of various sizes.

Don't forget the shipping cost as well

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12