Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Winter gear test!

The forecast was calling for our first real wintery temps last night, the low was to be about 16. I wanted to make sure I hung the hammock up to give some of my winter stuff a workout.

I got out late, around 11:30, and started setting up. It was pretty windy, and I planned on using a small Tadpole tarp instead of our usual DIY winter tarp. Since it was windy and I had a small tarp, I dug out the Dutch winter sock to try out. Note to self, the socks are a real pain to fish over a hammock suspension at midnight, when its windy and 18 degrees!

Finally got the sock on, hung my 0deg+3 Incubator (no adjustments were made, just clipped on), and threw in my JRB Old rag mountain TQ.

I woke a few times, and noticed alot of condensation was forming. I made sure the sock mesh was up to help vent a bit, and didn't worry about it much. Woke at daylight, and was surprised to see the temp was 3 degrees! I've come to expect inaccurate forecasts, but they usually call it as being much colder and snowier, I assume to sell more breads eggs and milk (Its a conspiracy!).

I had a frozen rain forest of condensation inside my sock! My glasses on my ridgeline were an iceball, so I fumbled to find the cord to open the sock, ice raining down all over me with every move. I loaded up and went to the house for some ham and coffee.

I had brought a Nalgene and my smartwater bottle, I planned on running my stove to boil some water, and sleeping with the smartwater bottle to keep it from freezing, but since I got a late start, I decided against messing with the hot water bottle. I slept in bluejeans, $1 cheapie "some kind of wool content" socks, a polarfleece jacket and my usual marmot light primaloft jacket. I used a polarfleece beanie. I stayed warm, I did wake to cool spots under my thighs, but this has happened to some degree on all of my trips with the Incubator so far. Cool, not enough to bother with adjusting, I think it might just be that I'm hungry at that point. All of my other trips with it have been in Indiana (no bears), so I've been sleeping with a pocket of snacks, I eat something before I go back to sleep after getting up to pee. It does seem to help.

I would have never guessed it was 3 degrees. Partially because I had a sock microclimate, and couldn't see anything, but I slept plenty warm, in less gear than I would normally sleep in for those temps. I feel I would sleep well easily down to -10 or so, and wouldn't hesitate trying lower with a hot water bottle or more clothing. I really didn't have doubts that the ORM TQ and the Incubator would work at 0-5 degrees anyway, but its nice to know for sure. I've only really hung sub 10 degrees one other time, and that was using a 20degree TQ (Hudson river), I was still comfortable then!

I didnt get to try my new booties, I need to make that a priority. Looks like we have some real winter temps the next week or so, so I should have plenty of opportunities.

Booties and light that were under the sock with me, condensation!

Last edited by binfordw; 12-14-2016 at 15:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Excellent test. It may take a day or so for your gear to dry out from the looks of it. That area looks cold if the wind is blowing.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Those pics are just making me cold!!

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Color me jealous!!! Still waiting till next year to get my incubator......though tomorrow would have been a great test for it.....with wind chill it is supposed to be around ZERO tomorrow morning here.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    37° and rain up here in Ft Wayne on Saturday changing to snow. Then -14° Sunday night. Crazy!!!

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies

Hear that! Gonna be a good testing weekend.

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ Get the umbrella!!! $5 value, one in a few 100-thousand odds? LOL

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Nice pics. Glad you got to test your gear. We're looking for about 4 below here and a real feel of -14. Tarp and hammock are up. Will be heading out tomorrow night.
    Thanks for sharing the pics and enjoy the rest of your winter hanging. Al

Wow, it sure does look cold and flat down there. I do like the view though. It's always good to test in a variety of conditions and having a bailout options. It certainly looks like your ready for some winter hang time. Come on up to Green Timbers in February and trade the posts for some real big pines. Link in my signature.

Yea we are surrounded by fields, the back of our property doesn't have any trees, yet atleast, hence the poles. I don't like hanging up on the front of the property cause its closer to the road, and people will think I'm some kinda nutjob.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast