WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch

questions about WB whoopi sling

I just switched from webbing/buckle suspension to whoopi sling in my new hammocks. The reason for the switch is to decrease weight and bulk. Just wondering if anyone can help with these questions:

1) The webbing length is 58" so I cannot use it on trees with circumference greater than this length. Is there any "lightweight" solution to this without the obvious solution of buying a longer webbing.

2) Is there a way of hanging without the need for the carabiners as described by Warbonnet's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDtPvECV0XA)? Again, just to save weight.

3) If I'm not happy with the whoopi and decide to go back to the webbing/buckle suspension for the ease of use, is there any webbing/buckle suspension out there that is equally easy to use but lighter than the one provided by Warbonnet?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I use the hammock anchor, it is quick and easy for me. I have used it in rough conditions, high wind and gales of rain, worked great for me.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    You could use soft shackles , beckett hitch or a marlin spike hitch instead of the biners. I use 1" webbing and dutch buckles with my xlc whoopies though. The webbing that came with the xlc is too short for the trees around here so I just picked up some from Walmart. Its plenty long at 12' and even tho its not rated for a lot of weight, it holds my 165 lbs just fine.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Look at dutchware whoopie suspensions, with whoopies, whoopie hook, continuous loop and Dutch clips on the webbing. Seems light enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use Dutch's 3.3 Kevlar for my suspensions. Dutch also has a lighter 2.2 Kevlar strap-tree hugger. I use it in Carolina Red hammock suspension and Kokomo hammock-tarp suspension, both seen on YouTube. Kevlar is very light, very strong and has low bulk-it's perfect for backpacking and hammock camping. I think Kevlar is better used with certain knots rather than hardware. It ain't for everybody--and there are lots of great choices you can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

questions about WB whoopi sling

And for light weight-low volume and simplicity you can try Hitchhiker hammock suspension. All it is-a set of Dutch's Kevlar tree huggers. Nothing Else! You can go lighter by going from 3.3 to 2.2 and another way to go lighter is shorter lengths of straps. Put strap around tree and through its own loop. Then tie a marlin spike hitch in Kevlar (no toggle)--use gathered end of hammock as your toggle for your marlin spike hitch. It's a little fiddly. No rapid adjustment here. But this is crazy light--super simple--no knots no hardware no continuous loops--nothing but two Kevlar straps. This is not my go to suspension--too fiddly for me.

Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-12-2016 at 02:17.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vuanguyen View Post
    1) The webbing length is 58" so I cannot use it on trees with circumference greater than this length. Is there any "lightweight" solution to this without the obvious solution of buying a longer webbing.
    Either you extend your current straps with something lighter, like e.g. Amsteel, or you have to buy lighter webbing. Extending your tree huggers can be done, but it takes some effort, because the webbing part should be on the back of the tree to avoid damage. Getting lighter webbing is easier. Kevlar straps have been mentioned, but Dutch also sells Dyneema/Polypro webbing.

2) Is there a way of hanging without the need for the carabiners as described by Warbonnet's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDtPvECV0XA)? Again, just to save weight.
    In addition to the methods already mentioned, you could also use Dutch Clips. Or simply thread the straps through the loop. This is the lightest and probably safest method, but it's not as quick as the others.

3) If I'm not happy with the whoopi and decide to go back to the webbing/buckle suspension for the ease of use, is there any webbing/buckle suspension out there that is equally easy to use but lighter than the one provided by Warbonnet?
    The Warbonnet cinch buckles are not very heavy. Actually they are one of the lighter options. It's not the buckles that are responsible for the weight, but the webbing. If you still want a lighter buckle option and are willing to accept the disadvantages, have a look at Dutch Spiders, Dutch Cinch Bugs, Dutch Buckles or Dutch Titanium Cinch Buckles. You could also use some generic aluminum triglides. Austri Alpin sells triglides that only weigh 14g/pair (about 4g more than a pair of Dutch Spiders) and can be used similarly:

Or you could think about a mule tape suspension:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Thank you everyone! I think the Carolina Red hammock suspension may be the best option for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I use Dutch's 3.3 Kevlar for my suspensions. Dutch also has a lighter 2.2 Kevlar strap-tree hugger. I use it in Carolina Red hammock suspension and Kokomo hammock-tarp suspension, both seen on YouTube. Kevlar is very light, very strong and has low bulk-it's perfect for backpacking and hammock camping. I think Kevlar is better used with certain knots rather than hardware. It ain't for everybody--and there are lots of great choices you can use.

Thank you for the ideas David! I think the Carolina Red hammock suspension will be the best option for me. My only problem is the grappler hitch. Do you if there is any visual instruction on how to make one?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    vuanguyen, yes I made a video called Grapplers Hitch. It's not real good quality video. I've thought about reshooting it while I reshoot Kokomo suspension combo for hammock and tarp together. Thanks for the shout out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast