Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp stakes?

Tarp stakes?

Not sure if its a big deal or not, but then again, I have not thru hiked yet. Going to start with the AT this summer and would like to know if there is a stake design that has better luck while traversing different terrains than the others. I currently have a few aluminum shepard hooks, and usually use aluminum "Y" style. Started looking at the "V" style titanium ones from Z-Packs and noticed the ones that are just titanium duplex nails. Wanting to find out if one style/material is really overwhelmingly better than another for hammock specific thru hiking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've used many different types over the years in the stretch of AT from GA-NC. That hard clay is tough on those aluminum shepherd's hooks and even the Y-style will bend if you don't pound them just so. I've used some steel v-style that seemed to have enough cross section to be strong but were thin enough to cut through the ground nicely. I'd assume those titanium jobs from Z-packs are pretty awesome.

I'd suggest getting something that allows you to tie a short section of reflective cord to the top. That's about the only way I don't lose mine in the forest litter, especially fall trips. The tiny titanium hooks tend to disappear, even when you paint the tops a bright color.

These threads might help:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lk-Tarp-Stakes
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-stake-is-best

Good luck on the trip....

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I've used the Zpacks Titanium shepherds hook style on all of my hikes (same set of 6 for all the miles) across all terrains.

They have worked well. If I am in rocky soil, I will wrap the end of my line to a stick and toss a big rock over it. Or, tie off to a tree, bush, root, whatever.

They have ripped out of the dirt in heavy heavy wind (exposed at altitude in the Cascades) but better they pull out under the stress than rip the line or the tie out.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I've used the Zpacks Titanium shepherds hook style on all of my hikes (same set of 6 for all the miles) across all terrains.

They have worked well. If I am in rocky soil, I will wrap the end of my line to a stick and toss a big rock over it. Or, tie off to a tree, bush, root, whatever.

They have ripped out of the dirt in heavy heavy wind (exposed at altitude in the Cascades) but better they pull out under the stress than rip the line or the tie out.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml

A great trick in bad soil is the place a rock or log across your guyline in front of the stake placement. This transforms the angular force at the stake from semi vertical [upward at an angle] to horizontal. The stakes will hold much better
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I've used many different types over the years in the stretch of AT from GA-NC. That hard clay is tough on those aluminum shepherd's hooks and even the Y-style will bend if you don't pound them just so. I've used some steel v-style that seemed to have enough cross section to be strong but were thin enough to cut through the ground nicely. I'd assume those titanium jobs from Z-packs are pretty awesome.

I'd suggest getting something that allows you to tie a short section of reflective cord to the top. That's about the only way I don't lose mine in the forest litter, especially fall trips. The tiny titanium hooks tend to disappear, even when you paint the tops a bright color.
    Great info Zuk, thanks! The ones I have are the groundhog knockoffs and have only used them in the MD-VA section with real big issues with rocks, I don't think they cut through as well as the V-style. The titanium V are what I think I may go with, only because the shepherd hooks get lost quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post

Chop, I have not tried the stick/rock trick, will be giving that a go, thanks for that bit of knowledge. You really hit one of my concerns with the wind ripping the tarp, I plan on going to ground if it is too bad. How do the titanium shepard hooks do when you hit a rock while driving them in?

I guess my only other question would be between V and shepherd, which one is more likely to go into the ground most often from a through hike perspective? If they are about the same, will get the Z-Packs V just because I can tie the little bit of cord on the end.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Just seeing this post now. The Shepard hook has went into all soils I have come across. They are staring to get bent up but that is after 9000 miles. I may try the V ones at some point, but not out of disappointment with the shepherds hook stakes.

To add a little more. I have seen plenty of camp mates need to hammer in the V stakes with a rock. I've yet to need to with the Shepard hook. Worst case scenario, I grab a rock and do the stick/rock trick also, I have seen multiple bloody camp feet from accidently kicking the V stakes. That doesn't happen with the shepherds hook.

AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    A great trick in bad soil is the place a rock or log across your guyline in front of the stake placement. This transforms the angular force at the stake from semi vertical [upward at an angle] to horizontal. The stakes will hold much better
    Another cute trick I learned from the Ashley Book of Knots is the circus tent peg configuration. Put down one stake normally, then bring the remainder of the guy line to a second stake a bit further out. Now the second stake pulls backward on the first stake while the tarp pulls forward.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ Doors
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    PT's Ultralight Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Another cute trick I learned from the Ashley Book of Knots is the circus tent peg configuration. Put down one stake normally, then bring the remainder of the guy line to a second stake a bit further out. Now the second stake pulls backward on the first stake while the tarp pulls forward.
    I've done this trick and it works well. The only problem is that you have to carry 6 extra stakes for that "just in case I need to do this" scenario. Granted I usually carry an extra stake or two more than the minimum required for the equipment I have, but a whole extra set can add up in weight pretty fast.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    On a recent review of Shugs Tarp Chat & Tutorial Part 1, I've decided that marlin spike hitches on my tarp tie outs are the only way to go. Combined with tarp tensioners it's my next go to system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQP...youtu.be&t=340
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I usually carry 6 stakes. Two, 6 inch carbon fiber stakes, which are nice and fat for softer stuff (I think Z-packs is now carrying those), 2 light-duty Ti shepherds hook stakes for harder stuff (from Lawson Outdoors, but I think Dutch has them now) and 2 heavier-duty Ti stakes for the really hard stuff (old ones from backpacking light). This way, I usually have what works. If I know that I am going to a place with really deep duff, I do have 4- 9 inch carbon fiber stakes that work great and are still very light (not sure if Z-packs has the longer ones or not).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast