Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Well, the WOOKI passed with flying colors. Woke up to 18 F this morning. Nothing chilly but my feet and the lower part of my legs not in contact with the hammock...fine underneath though. SOOO, I just need to beef up the footbox of my TQ. Climashield is awesome, but 2.5 isn't adequate for winter--LOL! I have some 7.5 in the closet. That should be plenty warm enough to make an insert for the footbox portion of my summer top quilt.

I was also quite pleased with the DIY pup tent. It provided an excellent wind break and helped hold in some of Rem's body heat, but had ZERO condensation (which was one of my biggest worries)! The SUSPENSION, however, needs changing. By the middle of the night, the walls of his tent were pretty saggy. I had the only suspension point fastened to the strap of my hammock, so when I loaded my hammock, his walls sagged a bit in spite of the elastic cord it was suspended from. Then as the night wore on and my webbing stretched (as it always does) the sag grew way more pronounced...problematically so. That's a simple enough fix, though. From now on I'll just run a separate ridgeline, higher than my hammock's, to suspend the dog tent(s) from. Then the loading of my hammock and the inevitable stretch of my hammock straps through the night won't affect the integrity of Rem's nor Ransom's shelters.
    Congrats and this is why we test, test, and test more so we do not get out and freeze to death.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Congrats and this is why we test, test, and test more so we do not get out and freeze to death.

And because it's a plausible excuse for playing with our gear between trips!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    And because it's a plausible excuse for playing with our gear between trips!!!
    Absolutely!

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Remember hammocks are just forts for grownups. I play in my fort every chance I get. It keeps me young.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    Remember hammocks are just forts for grownups. I play in my fort every chance I get. It keeps me young.
    TOTALLY!!!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Well, the WOOKI passed with flying colors. Woke up to 18 F this morning. Nothing chilly but my feet and the lower part of my legs not in contact with the hammock...fine underneath though. SOOO, I just need to beef up the footbox of my TQ. Climashield is awesome, but 2.5 isn't adequate for winter--LOL! I have some 7.5 in the closet. That should be plenty warm enough to make an insert for the footbox portion of my summer top quilt.

I was also quite pleased with the DIY pup tent. It provided an excellent wind break and helped hold in some of Rem's body heat, but had ZERO condensation (which was one of my biggest worries)! The SUSPENSION, however, needs changing. By the middle of the night, the walls of his tent were pretty saggy. I had the only suspension point fastened to the strap of my hammock, so when I loaded my hammock, his walls sagged a bit in spite of the elastic cord it was suspended from. Then as the night wore on and my webbing stretched (as it always does) the sag grew way more pronounced...problematically so. That's a simple enough fix, though. From now on I'll just run a separate ridgeline, higher than my hammock's, to suspend the dog tent(s) from. Then the loading of my hammock and the inevitable stretch of my hammock straps through the night won't affect the integrity of Rem's nor Ransom's shelters.
    That's a solid solution to your pup-tent suspension.

How about your own? The overnight sagging doesn't bother you?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    That's a solid solution to your pup-tent suspension.

How about your own? The overnight sagging doesn't bother you?
    Nah. It's not that much. Guess I could prevent the sagging by going with less stretchy webbing, but the sagging is minimal enough that it doesn't bother me. Usually, if I'm hanging several nights, I'll just tighten the suspension up a bit more the first morning after I get up.

My hammock is often a couple of inches closer to the ground by morning, but that's not a big deal. However, sagging the pup tent walls two inches IS a real problem. Which is too bad because I really liked the simplicity of just suspending one pup tent from the head of my hammock and the other from the foot. Oh well!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    this is really cool. pup. tent. teeheehee...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    this is really cool. pup. tent. teeheehee...
    Thanks!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Awesome idea. Maybe ilk try something like that for my dog now that I'm hanging under a roof. I could just suspend it from a rafter maybe. Idk though, as soon as the geese and ducks start to get loud, he might tare through the screen to try and eat one or two lol. I love him but he's a moron sometimes lol. Your dogs are short hair right? How cold do you think you can comfortably have them out over night with their new tents? Mine is short hair too and he doesn't even like to go out to pee when its cold. hell hold it as long as he can, then run out, pee, and bolt back inside lol. Big baby. And he's half lab!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast