Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Sharing frustrations: ENO Vulcan Underquilt "Unfolded Dimensions" specs

Well, I'm worried I may be in a "live and learn" situation right now.

I already have been extremely disappointed in myself that when I initially became obsessed with hammocking last year, I just went and asked for the only brand of underquilt I knew about, which was ENO, and I saw that the Vulcan Underquilt had a better temperature rating than the entry-level Ember 2, and seemed to be a higher quality design with a more "professional" suspension system.

Well, I've been very disappointed with it in the six months I have had it, and in that time learned a great deal. I'm really disappointed in myself that I didn't do ANY research prior to asking for this as a gift, and as a result, my family overpaid for a mediocre UQ that isn't nearly the temperature rating that it should be, and limited on features. I share the criticisms of this UQ and brand that are often voiced on here, and am just trying to make the best out of my situation now.

I got the receipt yesterday from my mother-in-law so that I could contact ENO, as I was reading a blog post from an owner of this UQ online, and he suggested measuring your quilt, as his was significantly narrower than what was advertised on their website (still advertised there, by the way - https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....uct/a4006.html).

Sure enough, when I measured my UQ, it measured at about 41" wide unfolded as opposed to the 48" unfolded that are shown on the specs page for the quilt.

When I contacted ENO asking for a replacement under their what I consider to be excellent/generous 2 year warranty, I received a very disappointing response:

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. We received some feedback regarding the Blaze and Vulcan Underquilts about potential length and width discrepancies and I measured a few to see what may be up. I did get confirmation from R&D that the fabric is measured to 80” length by 48” width and when I measured I did both taut and loose’n’fluffy. The taut measurement I got the full 80”x48” but loose I got about 74-75”x41-42”. The fabric is actually measured and cut to these specs but with the down fill and pocket seams it loses a bit of length and width. This shouldn’t be too much of a problem as it will attach to your hammock with the shock cord which will stretch it out a bit so you should still get good coverage and allow you to get down to some cooler temps. If you’re looking for something larger, I would recommend returning this to the Amazon seller from which it was purchase and looking at alternate quilts like Jacks ‘r’ Better. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Warranty Dept.
    Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc.
    24 Buxton Ave.
    Asheville NC
    www.enonation.com

My personal UQ, even when pulled taut, will absolutely not go from 41" clear to 48". I tried. I would rip it by even trying to get another inch out of it. This is over a 14% size difference - it's a significant discrepancy.

I was incredibly disappointed by this response, as I received the UQ as a gift over six months ago, so there is no way the seller is going to exchange this now, and it has been used several times since then.

I have just sent ENO the following response, and am awaiting a reply back. Just wanted to put this out here because quite honestly, it is just therapeutic to air my frustrations. I love hammocking with all my heart, and I also never try to ask for anything unreasonable and hate being a difficult customer. But I flat-out feel duped right now, and it's embarrassing, and it sucks. Ugh.

Warranty department -

Thank you for your response. While I can appreciate that sizing would change during manufacturing, stuffing, stitching, etc., what is advertised on your website for the specs tab on the product in no way indicates that these unfolded dimensions are taken "pre-stuffing and stitching." I feel like it is not at all unreasonable to assume that what is being advertised would be an unfolded finished product, as there is no feasible way for a paying customer to ever measure an unassembled/incomplete product. (screen shot of specs from website here)

This product was given to me as a gift over 6 months ago, so a return to the third party is not an option at this point.

I am just trying to get the product as it is advertised. I am not trying to be difficult, but this is a problem to me, and feels deceptive.

Is there no way that ENO can make this right? I have been a loyal customer for years and have turned many customers to your products, and I feel that a $175 purchase should at the very least meet the specifications advertised on your website.

My UQ is 7 inches narrower than advertised. While that sounds like I could work with it, when you're only dealing with a product that is 48" wide, taking away 7" is a significant difference. This is over 14% narrower than posted.

Please let me know anything you are able to do to assist in correcting this.

I hope I am not coming across as angry - I promise you I am a very calm customer and will not fly off the handle at anyone, as I have also worked many years in customer service in my past. I am simply trying to get the product I thought I was getting based off of what I would consider a very logical assumption, which is that what specs are posted on the website would be the same or at least closer to the product I received, and I do not feel that what I received is an adequate response to my inquiry, and shows no effort to make things right for the customer that is very disappointed.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Wow, "buy a better product" what a way to stand behind your product. I think your point is pretty strong, width is determined by the normal use, not fabric length. That's pretty dishonest.

Did you measure it on the hammock? And what hammock, an eno or a true sized hammock?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just measured it stretched out on the ground. Was right at about 41" and the fabric has almost no give at all to it, so I have no idea how they expect stretching it to make up 7". I'm just so saddened by this.IMG_3012.jpg
    Last edited by jhawk; 12-07-2016 at 16:32.
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    1.6 Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    MMG Shamu UQ
    Suspension
    BB 15' straps
    It really bums me out to read about your experience. ENO is for sale in a lot of places which makes it much more convenient for people to purchase but stories like this give me pause in purchasing anything from them. I hope they will do right by you and try and correct their error.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Wait, why would they refer you to JRB when they're UQs are 42" wide?

I get your frustration with ENO. I bought a hammock once from a custom maker and when I got it, it seemed narrow. Turns out that the material width as advertised didn't include about 4" of hem. My guess is that you've got an UQ of std width, its just that ENO used the wrong spec in advertising it. I truly don't know if its on purpose, or they just aren't very technical people.

What else is dissatisfying about it? Even the best UQs require a learning curve to get the rated temps from them. The Shug videos are great for this.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Yeah I've watched all of his videos, and I'm very much still trying to work on getting it adjusted. It's getting better, but for $175 I don't like that it doesn't have a secondary suspension. I probably need to try and lay at less of a diagonal, because when I try to lay my standard way, the narrower width than what I was expecting shines through.

I am tempted to try the AHE Triangle Thingies, as it seems like this may help snug it up where I need it to from a better angle. It constantly slides out from under me while I'm in it. Can't keep the thing in place to save my life.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I don't have one, but it looks like the shock cord is exposed in 3 or 4 places down each side where you could secure it in place better by hand sewing on some Dutchware quilt clips to hook to the shock cord.

Link to clips:
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/plastic-quilt-hooks.html

At least you didn't get their down underquilt for $300 that only rates to 30-40 degrees and weighs in at 24 ozs.
    Bill

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    That's like advertizing a foot long burrito, but it's 6" after stuffing and folding.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Well, first of all.....most people will buy a "quarter-pound" burger and not worry that the weight is for an uncooked patty.

Secondly, I would recommend reaching out to the seller. Most Amazon sellers are very conscientious about their reputation, and they may be willing to do something to "make it right". Especially if they advertised the incorrect measurements in their ad. Just be sure to screen-shot the ad before contacting them. If they won't offer you a concession, contact Amazon. They are VERY customer conscious. Finally, you can dispute the charges with the credit card company. The problem in all of this is that you've waiting this long to cry foul....but you can honestly say that you didn't discover the discrepancy until just now.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    It blows my mind that they would say "return it and get a JRB instead." Just wow.

I started hammocking with two ENO One-Link Systems, which i still have and enjoy. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience with them and hope they will make it right when all is said and done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast