Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies

No tension split rings?

Hey All!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly do you use the split rings and how is it no tension? I usually larks head on some shock cord and use mini line locs with some reflective cord. Is there a better way with these rings?

Physics is not my strong point haha

Cheers!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 9231
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 Poly+End
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by IbeforeEexceptafterC View Post
    Hey All!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly do you use the split rings and how is it no tension?

Same question except I'm using Dutch Stingerz. How do to the split rings eliminate tension vs. mounting directly to D-ring? Just eager to learn...

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    When I looked, I read "...our unique double split ring "ZERO STRESS" tie outs...", which I think refers to them being easy to attach to the ridgeline and guylines.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    "ZERO STRESS" tie outs are in reference to guy out forces being applied across the edge binding. Many tarps attach the guy outs via a reinforcing panel directly to the fabric on the tarp. This concentrates a lot of force into a small patch of fabric which can result in stitch elongation or worst case pull through. By utilizing the polyester binding the guy out forces or applied in a more linear direction along the edge of the tarp and transferred into the fabric through the binding tape resulting in no concentrated loading of the fabric.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 9231
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 Poly+End
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks Paul

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    That's pretty nifty!

Hammock
    TE Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Paul! Thats the explanation I was looking for!

Cheers!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    "ZERO STRESS" tie outs are in reference to guy out forces being applied across the edge binding. Many tarps attach the guy outs via a reinforcing panel directly to the fabric on the tarp. This concentrates a lot of force into a small patch of fabric which can result in stitch elongation or worst case pull through. By utilizing the polyester binding the guy out forces or applied in a more linear direction along the edge of the tarp and transferred into the fabric through the binding tape resulting in no concentrated loading of the fabric.
    What he said!!!!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    This explanation is just a matter of how the binding is stiched, nothing to do with function of the split rings, right? Can you please explain the use of split rings?

Saw a Facebook post recently with a guy whose split ring didn't hold on his MJ ridgeline. I presume the use of "double split rings" is to assist in preventing this very issue. This guy had the ring going through a tarp fly which I thought was an odd application given the nature of the fly design and Dutch's video's for its use. I was shocked, actually, to see Brandon's video using the tarp fly and split ring in the same manner. Must be some reasoning there, but I don't get it. Is the split ring just easier to use for production purposes than the D-ring? All 3 of my other tarps don't use them (AHE, OES, SLD)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    This explanation is just a matter of how the binding is stiched, nothing to do with function of the split rings, right? Can you please explain the use of split rings?

Saw a Facebook post recently with a guy whose split ring didn't hold on his MJ ridgeline. I presume the use of "double split rings" is to assist in preventing this very issue. This guy had the ring going through a tarp fly which I thought was an odd application given the nature of the fly design and Dutch's video's for its use. I was shocked, actually, to see Brandon's video using the tarp fly and split ring in the same manner. Must be some reasoning there, but I don't get it. Is the split ring just easier to use for production purposes than the D-ring? All 3 of my other tarps don't use them (AHE, OES, SLD)
    I am sure a tarp maker can chime in better than I can, but I think there are a couple of reasons for a split ring instead of a d-ring. I think they provide an intentional point of failure in the system that will allow the ring to bend or break, rather than have a giant gust of wind wind shred your tarp. My guess is that the use of 2 rings instead of one might be a way to offer backup in case one of the rings is bad or gets stressed more than the other? It also might spread the force out through twice the attachment space. Also, a split ring is a lot easier to replace than a d ring. If a d ring shatters for some reason, you would have to re-sew the whole thing. I just got my new Winter Dream. It is the first tarp I have had with split rings, and it seems like a good system to me.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast