Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    It has the same stability issues and safety factors as all the other's of this type. The guylines and anchors are keeping you off the deck. These have two poles the competitors have one? I don't see how it could be more unstable than the competitors of the same type?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'd consider it if it worked well on the beach. I'm leaning towards Raftingtiggers no-ground poles.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I'd consider it if it worked well on the beach. I'm leaning towards Raftingtiggers no-ground poles.
    That's what I have and love it

The cool thing about this bipod idea is you have less guy lines

Would be fun to try it....but I'm liking my poles from her (No Ground Car Camp Model) and her backpacking hiking pole type model is cool.

Seems like stands are a hot item for development - fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I like the tarp pole option - this is something I'm sorely missing with my Handy Hammock Stand (now DD Hammock Stand). The double pole design might also reduce flexing, which has been pretty annoying with the HH stand (actually, most hammock stands I have tried).

What I don't like is the way they try to sell the stand. It seems to me that "1 stand" is not really one stand but rather half of a stand. That's plain misleading. Unless I didn't understand the description.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    It has the same stability issues and safety factors as all the other's of this type. The guylines and anchors are keeping you off the deck. These have two poles the competitors have one? I don't see how it could be more unstable than the competitors of the same type?
    If the guy lines release, this thing is designed like a sledgehammer to what you in the head or shins. It's not just a pole.

That and the details on the staking out part are unclear in that the details of the stakes themselves are not described, at least that I could find.

And in the primary photo of the setup on the website, it looks like an Atlas strap is being used for the guy out instead of their guy line.

Generally I am not a fan of these setups as the downside risk is more than a drop to the ground, it is compounded by a piece of metal being launched at you from either or both ends. This setup is more than just a lightweight hiking pole of piece of DAC tube, it's more substantial and has the heavier piece at the top of the bipod. That is why I believe it is more of a risk or the downside risk is greater.

Also, in the product section with the taller setup, it does not appear to be using the golden triangle and the hammock appears to be unloaded though you can't tell exactly because of the tarp.

The whole, 'we're going to distribute the product to people we meet' thing is off-putting.

Lastly they claim a "patented product" rather than patent pending but at the top of the website it's patent pending.

The whole thing has a funky vibe. But the product itself, meh, not digging it. We'll see. Show me a video of a 300lb person dropping into hammock repeatedly and the setup holding and that would help inspire confidence.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjacker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    That and the details on the staking out part are unclear in that the details of the stakes themselves are not described, at least that I could find.

Show me a video of a 300lb person dropping into hammock repeatedly and the setup holding and that would help inspire confidence.
    Unstable?!?!? not if guyed correctly, however, not with those stakes..... I have made and used a stand inspired by this thread:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+hammock+stand quite successfully. The biggest issue in my opinion is the ground conditions and the stakes - I was using 3/4"x18" concrete form stakes to anchor the guy lines and even those gently let me down more than once, usually after it rained or if the ground was soft. With the stakes they are showing / using I wouldn't trust it to hold the neighborhood cat...... taken from the kickstarter page "Each stake is 16 cm in length" roughly 6 1/4"......

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quite obviously it is all about being guy'd out correctly. I've used similar methods for much heavier objects and winched vehicles out of sand using anchors. So yes it can be done. More to my point, the stakes don't appear to be much in the way of an appropriate anchor and given the myriad of soil conditions, being 'let down' won't be that uncommon which raises my concern about the assembly falling on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't like that we do not see an instruction video of it in ACTUAL USE!

My one pole system "no ground car camp" has 2 Guy lines per pole and use 12 inch stakes for hard soil or large sand/snow type 12 inch stakes for softer soils then dog bone behind the anchor to a redundancy set of anchors

A single guy like does sound a bit riskier

Sledge hammer?
    Solution: wear insulated helmet vs balaclava - dual purpose

16cm?!?! I did not see that eeeeeeeeek

Why launch a product kickstarter without detailed photos and a video of it in practical use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Hm. Yobo's double-pole claims to be almost a third lighter than the single-pole DD/HandyHammock stand I just bought. The latter's weight is skewed by the 12 stout stakes required.

Meanwhile this design at 8+ times the weight requires no staking: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-by-tato-gear . Got to be a way to get that weight down!

I wonder what the weight (and expense!) would be to execute the "Hammock Anywhere" design using the ultralight tensegrity bracing of the DD/HandyHammock stand for both tripods and ridge pole, perhaps with small-OD carbon fiber tubing? And where do I sign up?

FullSizeRender.jpg

The top member could maybe use the same hardware DD stand now has, just extended with one more segment on both ends for a double length (4 poles). Would double as a tarp support. The tripods would need new hardware at the apex, but probably nothing too complex. The tripods braced internally with kevlar cord (or similar) passing through a central o-ring joining midsection sleeves to feet.

Of course the tripod feet could be staked to prevent wind from tipping whole assembly empty, but no longer an integrity requirement. Total of 16 poles, 9 sleeves... but no stakes. Maybe if smaller OD carbon poles the weight would compete with staked precursors.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 12-19-2016 at 13:29. Reason: Added sketch

I was looking through to see feedback before backing. Has anybody seen the new staking? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1795009, thoughts? Should I back it?

Also, first post! Glad to find a hammock forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast