Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Whew... well Im glad Im not crazy! I'll play around with the leg end of the UQ and see if I can loosen it up, but still not have an opening. It has a draft collar so maybe Im just trying to play it too safe.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 10x12
    Insulation
    SSTQ, pad under
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Chesapeake - I just got an Old Rag Mountain for use as an UQ on my WBBBXLC, and I'm having similar problems. Did you get this resolved in the last two weeks? It feels warm for 30 minutes outside, but I haven't had a chance to try it overnight, and may not get a chance before an upcoming trip. I don't want to find out at 3 am that I've got a cold spot.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    I had this problem too. I used a wbbbxlc and a HG Incubator. When I got the wooki the problem disappeared. I tried a lot of things to make the HG work and I finally got it all dialed in at my last group hang with lots of help from some other members. It was not as comfortable as the wooki , but a major improvement. If the wooki was not an option for me the HG would now work very well. You are not crazy it is a thing.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Chesapeake - I just got an Old Rag Mountain for use as an UQ on my WBBBXLC, and I'm having similar problems. Did you get this resolved in the last two weeks? It feels warm for 30 minutes outside, but I haven't had a chance to try it overnight, and may not get a chance before an upcoming trip. I don't want to find out at 3 am that I've got a cold spot.
    Still the same problem. I got my Incubator from Dutch so it came with quilt hangers and RL quilt hooks. I hook the quilt to each end and slide it down my primary suspension to cover the head end more since that's where my head is ( right at the tie out closest the head end). From there, I attach the secondary suspension and snug it up to cover my feet and head more. Next I sinch the ends just enough to not have a gap when the hammock is loaded. All that's left is to slide the RL quilt hooks down and clip in the suspension lines.

Now, I've tried centering the quilt, biasing the secondary suspension the opposite way since the gap is just to the left of my left knee, I've tried wrapping the suspension around the whipping as Shug recommends, ive tried more or less tightening of the secondary suspension and end sinch, I've tried sliding the foot end RL quilt hook all the way down to the quilt end so it pretty much pulls straight up. I've tried moving in the hammock to lessen the calf ridge. And then I tried every combination of the above and still have the gap. I did get it not as severe once, but it was still there. The only other thing I can do is to play with the height of the foot end suspension to maybe lessen the calf ridge some and then try to get the quilt closer to the hammock on that side again. The quilt lifts the hammock up when I hook it to my whoopies, and its right up against my butt so I know its not too loose. I just can't get the left side of the quilt at the foot end to hug the hammock at all, no matter what I do it seems. Also, I sometimes notice a gap behind, not under, my right shoulder. Again, I tried moving the RL hook to pull almost straight up and every other adjustment and its also still there. Its not nearly as bad as the foot end.

The quilt and hammock should be in continuous contact from one end to the other right? Well I've got about 75-80% contact. Once I got the ends sealed tight and the UQP/ winter cover on, I didn't really notice any cold spots on me most of the time, but if feel between the hammock and quilt where the gaps are, I can feel a temp difference around those spots for sure. Most nights I can deal with it, but when it was 2° the other morning the back of my right shoulder and left calf/ back of left knee were cold.

Idk what else I can do to fix it. Getting rid of the calf ridge completely is the only thing I can think of that would definetly work. But if the ridge is there, I'm gonna have a gap it seems. And here at home I hang outside in my screened in porch now that its winter and out there I have eye bolts I clip my whoopies into. So every time I hang it its the same. I could move the foot end bolt down some I guess maybe? Or the head up more? I've got roughly a 30-35° angle on the foot end and its about 13-15" higher than the head, just like WB recommends.
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 12-20-2016 at 20:54.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

How interesting that I, too, was thinking about this two nights ago while spending the first time out with my long, 0* UGQ, the temp in single digits and 10mph ish winds while fighting cold butt and shoulders. After fiddling it for a couple hours, I eventually put the 40* in between and slept much better. Not sure, but think it worked more because of the sheer mass of down. As I do not want to carry another UQ if I can get away from it, I will be seeking answers here and there as well as experimenting on my own. Also, had the thought to use an afternoon daylight nap time to try and get things dialed in rather than an overnight when my sleep is more needful. Duh, to that one.
    While contemplating what the problem actually was, I also was wondering about asym hammock lay and the straightness of the UQ and how they affect each other. I suspect there are other related threads which speak to it, which I will begin to look for after penning this, but also wondering if there are any mfr websites which address it. Or, perhaps they could speak to (or already have spoken to) it on this forum.
    Bottom line, winter overnights are always a work in progress for a cold sleeper such as I, even when I was on the ground.
    Looking in anticipation to some wisdom on this one.

Happy Trails,
    Rod

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 10x12
    Insulation
    SSTQ, pad under
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Chesapeake, I'm doing the same thing - sleeping on the back porch. I use ratchet straps for my hooks though, so they're adjustable and not permanent. Shug's video helped me out alot. For me, the key was independent adjustment of each corner. I'm not using side suspension, just the corners on shockcord with an independent adjustment and prusik attachment point on the suspension so I can adjust the angle of pull for each end as whole.

For me, the issue isn't about warmth now, but about eliminating or reducing the calf ridge to be less noticeable.

Loaf

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I mentioned it in some other threads, but for me the hammock itself is a big factor in UQ fit. I hate to say it, but my Warbonnet travelers (both 10' and 11') never seem to accept the UQ. There's almost always a gap under my left knee area. The WBBB seems OK, but I haven't used it in a while.

What works for me is the Grand Trunk parachute hammock I bought out of necessity (forgot my hammock on a trip). What a blessing in disguise! And not only does the UQ fit better, there is ZERO calf ridge. I don't know why but I assume it has to do with the type of fabric and size of the hammock. It just feel 100% different that other hammocks I've tried.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Last night I hung my XLC and inside w/o the net or cover. Using the eye bolts in my bedroom it had a 30° angle on both ends and was level instead of foot end higher like it is outside. I used my 0° Incubator also, and hung it centered but biased the secondary towards my head and feet some like normal. With everything in this configuration I noticed way less of a calf ridge and almost no gap. I do have the 1.7 SL and Im I only 160 lbs, it is a little stretchy but not too much. I think I might move the outside foot end eye bolt down some and the head up just a bit to see if that kinda mimicks the angles I have inside some. I got almost 100% contact with the UQ and hammock last night so I hope doing that outside will have the same effect while still leaving the foot end high enough to get a flat lay with me in e sweet spot of the hammock. If this doesn't work, idk what else to do. I'll post my results when I hang outside again, proly right after Xmas.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've been on trips where it just didn't feel right the first night, but perfect the next night. I think the sag of your hammock has a lot to do with it do. Nothing I can pinpoint, but I suspect the better nights had more sag (~30°, slightly looser than what seemed right)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I've been on trips where it just didn't feel right the first night, but perfect the next night. I think the sag of your hammock has a lot to do with it do. Nothing I can pinpoint, but I suspect the better nights had more sag (~30°, slightly looser than what seemed right)
    I agree with this. This is how I hang my wbbbxlc. My Ridgeline looks like a slight smile before I get into the hammock. When I hang the uq it seems to make the Ridgeline tighter (maybe I am wrong, but the feel of the hammock totally changes once I put an uq on). It seems to change less when I have more sag in the hammock though. Maybe that is why the grand trunk is more comfortable for you. I am really tempted to get one after reading how much you like yours just to test this out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast